cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
MA7771
Blue Screen Again
Views: 358
Message 1 of 7

2012 Lenovo ThinkCentre M92 & M92p, can I upgrade to Windows 10? Yes, with "How to"

Hello Everyone, 

I had a quick question here. In 2016, I purchased a 2012 Lenovo ThinkCentre M92p. It is Windows 7 Professional, and has 8GB of Ram. Intel CPU up to 3.20 GHz. 

I love it to be honest,  but have just now received word that Windows 7 will no longer be supported after January of 2020. I was wondering if it will be possible for me to upgrade this system to a Windows 10 ? I do not want to buy a new computer, and do not want to try and continue using Windows 7 after it is no longer supported. Can anyone tell me if this is possible ? 

Thanks. 

Mod:  Edited Subject line and text to correct date of system. 

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 347
Message 2 of 7

Re: My 2016 Lenovo ThinkCentre M92p, upgrading to Windows 10 Question

What form factor, and what processor?

I do not work for Lenovo. I do not respond to Private Messages for help, your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where the information exchange may help others. If I helped you, click the 'Kudos' button, if solved, the 'Accept as Solution'.
MA7771
Blue Screen Again
Views: 334
Message 3 of 7

Ok, this is what I know from the Command Line Prompts :

Installed Memory 8.00 GB       7.81 GB Available 

Processor  Intel (R)  Core (TM) i5-3470   CPU @3.20 GHZ

Channel 1A- DIMM1 0443

CHANNEL 1B--DIMM0 Hynix Hyundai

CHANNEL 1B--Hynix Hyundai 

Memory Modules are operating at 1600 

The memory type is listing as a 0 

I am guessing that is a DDR3.  But I am not very technical. 

MA7771
Blue Screen Again
Views: 331
Message 4 of 7

Total physical memory is listed as 7.998MB 

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 298
Message 5 of 7

@MA7771 wrote:

Processor  Intel (R)  Core (TM) i5-3470   CPU @3.20 GHZ

Yes, yours and the vast majority of M92 and M92p systems can be upgraded to Windows 10 (a few models of M92p Tiny used the older Sandy Bridge processor, and not Win 10 upgradable.)  All Intel 'Ivy Bridge' processors with a model number starting with 3, in your case 3470, are Win 10 capable. 

A free upgrade may still be available, I used this method here a year ago:  ZDNet - Here's how you can still get a free Windows 10 upgrade - updated Sept 2019

A few suggestions to avoid problems:

1.  If you don't have an automatic back-up program, copy all your user data to a large capacity USB drive(s). 

2.  If Windows is installed on a hard drive, run a full 'surface scan', as your disk will be using storage it hasn't used before.

3.  If you have a 3rd party security/anti-virus program, such as Norton, McAfee or Avast, since they as so tightly coupled with the OS, it's always best to uninstall before and reinstall after.  Make a record of the key before.  In some cases, a 'Uninstall program' must be downloaded and run.  Check with your security/anti-virus manufacturer. 

4.  After Win 10 is installed and fully updated, install Lenovo Vantage, and run 'system update'.  Also install CCleaner (free version) and run the 'Registry' part of the cleaner.  It may take multiple passes to clean fully.  Run once every couple of months afterwards. 

5.  I like to defer Win 10 feature updates for 4 months, until the bugs are sorted out, and what Microsoft recommends for corporate users.  See below for my settings. 

Some other good tips:  The Guardian - How should I prepare my PC for the upgrade to Windows 10?

f-win update deferment.JPGWindows Update - Advanced Options

I do not work for Lenovo. I do not respond to Private Messages for help, your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where the information exchange may help others. If I helped you, click the 'Kudos' button, if solved, the 'Accept as Solution'.
MA7771
Blue Screen Again
Views: 293
Message 6 of 7

Thanks for the detailed information.  Now, I know what all I must do. It is appreciated. 

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 284
Message 7 of 7

A couple more tasks.  I added them to the list above. 

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors