Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
CompGuy525
Punch Card
Views: 274
Message 1 of 2

A30 Newly Installed With Win 7 Pro Reports OS Not Found Upon Reboot Sometimes

Hello everyone.

I am a 16yr+ system admin, and I have a very strange problem that eludes me.  It is quite simple to explain.

I have an old A30 (819866U) IDE machine whose Win XP Pro hard drive had previously been cloned from the stock drive to a new Western Digital 160GB drive (WD1600AAJB).  All has been fine for at least 3 months.

Recently, the computer became infected with a virus, so I have prepared another of the same model hard drive, but with Windows 7 Pro.  Here is the problem:  About 50% of the time upon commanding the computer to restart whether by the GUI or by DOS command line, the computer will reboot then apparently not recognize the hard drive and subsequently report "OS not found, press F1 to try again".  Upon shutdown, and turning the comp back on, it always boots fine.

I have changed IDE cables, HD jumpers, BIOS settings, and even tried the secondary port on the motherboard without a change in behavior.  I have a hunch it has something to do with the way Win 7 partitioning is.   The same problem is happening on a different machine of the same model, and on another machine, an even older NetVista 831026U.  I suspect it would happen on all machines of these same models.

What could be happening here?  Thank you very much for any insight you can offer.

CompGuy525
Punch Card
Views: 272
Message 2 of 2

Re: A30 Newly Installed With Win 7 Pro Reports OS Not Found Upon Reboot Sometimes

Also, it seems to only happen when the computer is joined to a domain. I have not got it to happen when the computer is not part of a domain.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors