Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
sbs97
Blue Screen Again
Views: 1,736
Message 1 of 7

Acceptable CPU temperature

Hi, My newly bought desktop (Lenovo ThinkCenter M910 Small Factor) with i7 7000 running on Ubuntu constantly reports temperatures (using Psensor applet) for Cores 0-3 between 80-96 degree C (at CPU usage of 65-75%). I understand that the TJunction for this processor is 100 degrees C. Does that mean I have no cause to worry? Kindly let me know. Thanks & regards SBS

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 1,723
Message 2 of 7

Re: Acceptable CPU temperature

65% - 75% is a fairly heavy load.  Are you saying that you normally have that much CPU usage on background tasks?  What are you running?

Rich

I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo.
SeniorGuru
Views: 1,717
Message 3 of 7

I really don't know what "acceptable" CPU temperature is because I don't run that CPU usage in my Win10 environment, but I suspect these newly designed MUCH SMALLER "midget" Kaby Lake SFF and tower cases from Lenovo have inadequate ventilation and fans.

I bought an M910s SFF also, but had to return it because it was 5" less-deep (i.e. front-to-back) than previous SFF cases, and I could not install a standard low-profile add-on graphics card longer than 5.75". The 5" reduction reflected a new midget motherboard.  But the real problem was that in the SFF case (which is only 4" wide) the swing-down drive bay assembly actually hit the top edge of the low-profile graphics card, and would not latch properly so that the case's side panel could be reattached.  Only a "midget" graphics card (bought from Lenovo) would work, and I bought my own superior performing low-profile GTX 1050ti which I assumed would present no problem to install in the M910s.  WRONG.

So I bought an M910t "tower" instead, and that also turned out to be 4" less-deep than previous tower cases, again really restricting the length of any add-on cards you might want to install.  But thankfully because it was still 6" "wide" (so that the swing-down drive bay assembly is higher up over the top edge of the graphics card than it is on the SFF case which is only 4" wide) I could actually install the full-size EVGA GTX 1050ti SC graphics card, which with its single fan is actually only 5.7" long anyway.  It's really a "tiny tower" though.

I don't know about the M910s because I didn't keep it long enough to know, but in the M910t Lenovo now has moved the power supply to the BOTTOM of the case, rather than previously when it was at the top.  And instead of having an "intake" case fan in the front-lower part of the case, they only install a small "exhaust" case fan in the rear-upper part of the case.

Furthermore, they don't seem to have fan headers on the motherboard for either the power supply fan or the rear exhaust fan to report fan speed. They don't even have the CPU fan speed reporting!!  I couldn't believe that the super-I/O sensor chip reporting to Aida64 was not providing any fan speeds... especially not for the CPU, but that's the situation.

I assume the SFF case (which uses the same motherboard I think) is laid out the same way, and similarly is under-supplied with ventilation fans.  So we only know temperatures, not fan speeds.  How can we even tell if the fans are working without looking with the machine running??

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 1,703
Message 4 of 7

@sbs97 wrote:

Hi, My newly bought desktop (Lenovo ThinkCenter M910 Small Factor) with i7 7000 running on Ubuntu constantly reports temperatures (using Psensor applet) for Cores 0-3 between 80-96 degree C (at CPU usage of 65-75%).

While I don't have the newer system, based on what I've seen with previous gens, those core temp seems excessive to me.  I suggest placing a call to Tech Support.   It could be that the cooler is not, or no longer, mounted correctly, causing the high temps.  

I do not work for Lenovo. I do not respond to Private Messages for help, your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where the information exchange may help others. If I helped you, click the 'Kudos' button, if solved, the 'Accept as Solution'.
sbs97
Blue Screen Again
Views: 1,694
Message 5 of 7

Hi, I am running text analysis program (on a corpus of about 15,000 documents.
sbs97
Blue Screen Again
Views: 1,693
Message 6 of 7

I will do as you suggested BiggAl
sbs97
Blue Screen Again
Views: 1,693
Message 7 of 7

Thanks so much for your detailed note. Yes,it is frustrating to see that small factor ThinkCenter is not as expected.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors