Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Audiose
Paper Tape
Views: 329
Message 1 of 3

Add mSata to M82 and use as primary OS boot and operating drive

I saw a 2013 forum discussion about adding an mSata drive to the W540 and using it as the boot drive and primary OS drive.  They discussed the Lenovo basic claim that using an mSata as the OS drive is not recommended and would likely be unreliable.  I have an M82 refurb and the HDD is noisy as heck.  I use this machine for narrating audio books.  Not a good match.  Now, 5 years later, are mSata drives reliable enough to use as OS drives?  If so, would leaving the original HDD in place as a storage drive be OK or would it cause a problem trying to use the mSata as the primary drive? ........ or should I just get a new machine?  Many thanks!

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 295
Message 2 of 3

Re: Add mSata to M82 and use as primary OS boot and operating drive

I don't believe mSATA was used in any ThinkCentre.  A mSATA SSD has a smaller form factor than a standard SSD and is designed for use with portable, power-constrained devices such as laptops, tablets and netbooks

For a M82 desktop, you'd be looking at a regular 2.5" SATA SSD such a Samsung 860 Evo. 

I do not work for Lenovo. I do not respond to Private Messages for help, your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where the information exchange may help others. If I helped you, click the 'Kudos' button, if solved, the 'Accept as Solution'.
Audiose
Paper Tape
Views: 288
Message 3 of 3

Re: Add mSata to M82 and use as primary OS boot and operating drive

Thanks.  That is what I expected was still the case.  Actually, the inquiry became moot for me shortly after I posted, as I decided the best route was simply to replace the noisy HDD with a full SSD drive.  I will then use an external USB 3.0 HDD for file storage.  Then I'll have the optimal quiet and fast drive for my audio studio.  Thanks for confirmation about all this.

By the way, the manual for my particular M82, machine type 2756, does show the drive bays as allowing an mSATA drive.  The description of Bay 2 says:  "Card reader drive bay or mSATA solid state drive bay."  Hence, my wondering.  But, as I said, it's moot for me now.  A little bit of knowledge can be a dangerous thing, no?

Thanks again!

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors