cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Napp
Punch Card
Views: 393
Message 1 of 7

Added Hybrid SATA drive to ThinkCentre - does not recognize old IDE drive - Suggestions?

I added a 1TB Seagate Hybrid drive to my old ThinkCentre 808532U.  I removed the jumper from the old IDE drive so it would be considered the secondary.  I installed Windows 7 Professional 32 bit on the hybrid SATA.  The old IDE had Windows XP.  I want to use the old IDE drive as the secondary so I can access the data, pictures, etc.  I do NOT want to boot XP.

The system boots up fine with Windows 7.  However, the system does not recognize the old IDE drive.  I have gone into BIOS and changed the Parallel ATA to Secondary.  The system still does not recognize the old IDE drive.  

Can someone provide recommendations?

Thanks,

Napp

Highlighted
Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 381
Message 2 of 7

Re: Added Hybrid SATA drive to ThinkCentre - does not recognize old IDE drive - Suggestions?

Have you tried putting the jumper back in? SATA doesn't have a master/slave or primary/secondary configuration.

By pulling the jumper you've set up an IDE channel that has no primary drive.  Either set the IDE drive to master or to cable select if that's an option and your cable is configured that way.

Not saying this is 100% but give it a try if you haven't already.

Z.

The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored - questions and answers belong in the forum so that others may contribute and benefit. ... GeezBlog

Communities:   English    Deutsch    Español    Português    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Polski    Türkçe    Moto English

Napp
Punch Card
Views: 355
Message 3 of 7

Re: Added Hybrid SATA drive to ThinkCentre - does not recognize old IDE drive - Suggestions?

Z, I tried the jumper in master with BIOS setting primary and secondary and in CS with Bios setting primary and secondary.  Either jumper setting with BIOS setting Primary the system boots into XT.  Either jumper setting with BIOS setting Secondary  the system boots into Windows 7.  When the system boots into XT only the old harddisk, and the floppy drive appear.  When the system boots into Windows 7 the new hybrid SATA drive, the floppy drive, the DVD player and the DVD RW drive appear - but not the old harddisk.  Thanks for the idea, though.  At least I know the cables are ok since all components do show if not all together under one OS.  Frustrating................

Napp
Punch Card
Views: 353
Message 4 of 7

Z, I forgot to include that when the system boots into XT it does see the new hybrid SATA drive, too.  Now if I could just get it to recognize the old Maxtor harddrive when it boots into Windows 7............

Napp

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 341
Message 5 of 7

In the configuration that lets it boot to XP (so we know the old dirve is seen) go to BIOS and change the boot order to put the new drive first.

I don't have a similar machine to check so I can't tell you exactly where in BIOS you'll find the option.  Something like "Startup" probably.

Z.

The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored - questions and answers belong in the forum so that others may contribute and benefit. ... GeezBlog

Communities:   English    Deutsch    Español    Português    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Polski    Türkçe    Moto English

Napp
Punch Card
Views: 312
Message 6 of 7

Z, thanks for your ideas.  I have been trying different combinations of jumper settings, BIOS settings and Startup settings.  I finally have Windows 7 recognizing both drives and booting correctly to Windows 7.  Jumper set to CS, Parallel ATA set to primary and SATA drive in Startup before IDE.  Sounds simple but Startup settings kept changing on me.  And of course every time the machine booted to XP from the old drive it took forever to get to shutdown.  My remaining challenge is that niether my DVD R drive nor my DVD RW drive is being recognized.  I am at a loss as to why. 

Napp
Punch Card
Views: 296
Message 7 of 7

I finally experimented enough that I found the solution!  I tried putting all the IDE drives into Startup even though none showed any hardware assigned.  I set Parallel ATA to Both.  My machine  would start up but not show the Logo screen or any screen for that matter.  I put a Windows 7 install disk into the DVD ROM and got the Logo screen.  I F1'd back into BIOS and suddenly two of the IDE entries in Startup were populated with the DVD drives.  I set the order I wanted in Startup and saved the configuration.  When Windows started it installed drivers for two devices.  I looked into Computer and all the drives were listed!!!!!!!!!!!  

So now after several long nights I have my system configured properly for all the drives and all Windows 7 updates applied.  I am waiting for delivery of a 256M graphics adapter and a gigabit ethernet adapter to see if I can increase performance.  Time to sleep now.............. 

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors