Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ralph17
Paper Tape
Views: 463
Message 1 of 8

Adding GeForce 210 video card to M79 10CN machine

Help!!!

I'm trying to add a video card to my machine so I can have HDMI out.

When I intall the card I loose all video output.

When I can actually get to work windows shows 3 displays.

The video output is not correct when I can get anything to show on my displays.

Card I'm trying to use is a GeForce 210.

I couldn't start a chat session, when I called I ended up in a black hole.

Put on hold by first tech, then my called picked up by someone that had no knowledge of the info I provided to the first tech.

Called again, told no installation help available, then provided a web address for installation help that didn't work.

(fruonfones.com)

Why can't I just plug in this PCI card and have it work.

Really frustrated, adding a video card is supposed to be much easier than this!

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 423
Message 2 of 8

Re: Adding GeForce 210 video card to M79 10CN machine

I'm not clear on the problem, can you tell us more.    Have you downloaded and installed the drivers and software for this card from the Nvidia download site?  

Ralph17
Paper Tape
Views: 418
Message 3 of 8

I have installed, uninstalled, reinstalled the software and drivers more times than I can remember! Seems Win10 will automatically locate and install software when card is installed, but I can't tell because I loose all video output when I plug in the card!

I'm pondering wheather there may be a BIOS update that lets me disable on board video, I have seen this option in the past on other machines for installing secondary video cards.

If I can get any video output at all, it requires having a monitor attached to the imbedded vga connector, or the vga connector on the video card I installed. Also requires the Hdmi cable to be connected. Getting any video output is not a consistant thing, I have to move cables around until something appears on one or more screens.

Video display, when I can get anything, is not scaled correctly to allow me to see an entire screen on any display that has output.

I can see part of the task bar (only the left side) and when I click on an icon to open the app the selected does not appear on any screen. When I hover over the icon the pop up window indicates that the app is open, but I can't see it on any screen.

Important to mention that I have been a professional computer tech so I have much more than a basic understanding of computer hardware.

Aren't PCIe cards supposed to be "plug and play?"

Good first step, is the GeForce 210 video card compatable with the M79, 10CN hardware?

Are there any BIOS updates I should install?

Also want to let you know that I have restored to as delivered OS and reinstalled Win10.

Mod edit:   SN deleted per the forum's security policies.  

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 415
Message 4 of 8

@Ralph17 wrote:

Good first step, is the GeForce 210 video card compatable with the M79, 10CN hardware?

Are there any BIOS updates I should install?

There is a white list for graphics cards that will work.   Later BIOS releases do support more and later hardware, and it's advisable to update before hand (in addition to getting important security fixes.)   

Given the erratic nature of the problem, if the BIOS update has no effect, I suspect that your graphics card may be bad, and I then suggest you contact it's tech support. 

Ralph17
Paper Tape
Views: 410
Message 5 of 8

Well, first thanks for the prompt response. Where can I find the white list for the hardware compatibility?

I have visited the support web site and I wasn't clear on if there is a BIOS update.

Yesterday on the phone with Lenovo tech support was not a pleasant experience....

Lots of hold time, no answers.

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 407
Message 6 of 8

The list is not published.    The BIOS update can be found on the Lenovo support page for your specific system.  

M79, 10CN, BIOS support page

Ralph17
Paper Tape
Views: 398
Message 7 of 8

Thanks for the link to the BIOS update. Update here doesn't seem to address video issues according to the release notes.

Can you provide some direction in calling tech support so I can have somebody check the white list for hardware compatibility?

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 393
Message 8 of 8

The whitelist isn't published, not for tech support (as far as I can tell), or in the BIOS readme.    Use the search engine above on 'whitelist' for more info on how the graphics card support works. 

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors