Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Danf80503
Punch Card
Views: 7,103
Message 1 of 11

Adding a 2nd HDD to a tower M91p 7052-A7U

I purchased the M91p 7052-A7U tower because of the expansion capabilities.  I would like to add a second internal SATA hard drive, but find it very frustrating to find the part number of bracket to install a 2nd HDD.  This M91p tower is not really nearly as expandable as Lenovo would lead you to believe due to lack of necessary mounting brackets / cables. 

Will a generic 5.25" to 3.5" bracket work to install a 3.5" SATA drive below the DVD drive shipped with the tower?  It appears I will also need a SATA data cable, but the required power connector is already available in the PC.  Is that correct?  Also what are my options if I wanted to install the 2nd HDD 3.5" HDD in the open slot similar to the first HDD shipped with the PC?

Thank you for any assistance.

Retired Partner
Views: 7,045
Message 2 of 11

Re: Adding a 2nd HDD to a tower M91p 7052-A7U

If you need to add additional hard disk then it require the hard drive bracket.

Please find the part number (41R6106) for New optional hard disk drive bracket assembly.

Best Regards,

Tanuj 

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution".! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Follow @LenovoForums on Twitter!

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 7,040
Message 3 of 11

Lenovo specifies a Front Fan (43N9599) for systems built with two hard drives.  From the Hardware Manual:

http://support.lenovo.com/en_AU/guides-and-manuals/detail.page?DocID=UM006582

"FRU, Front Fan used for 2x500GB/1TB, 7052 all models, FRU # 43N9599" 

The cooling on these systems is marginal, I upgraded to a low-mid range graphics card and needed to install the front fan to keep the system-wide temps reasonable.  I used Speedfan to monitor my system temps:

http://www.almico.com/speedfan.php

I do not work for Lenovo. I do not respond to Private Messages for help, your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where the information exchange may help others. If I helped you, click the 'Kudos' button, if solved, the 'Accept as Solution'.
Danf80503
Punch Card
Views: 7,016
Message 4 of 11

BiggAl, does the connector for the Front Fan (43N9599) go into the connector "16" on the system board?

Thanks for your assistance.

Danf80503
Punch Card
Views: 7,008
Message 5 of 11

Tanujhanda, thanks for your reply.  I found where I can order the optional hard disk drive bracket assembly p/n 41R6106 from Lenovo, but unfornutaley it is a 4 week shipping time before they can send it.  There is no picture of the bracket.  Do you know if the blue plastic harddrive caddy comes with the bracket p/n 41R6106?  Also I think the only cable I need to also purchase is a SATA data cable, as the power cable is already in the PC, correct?  Also another post states I need to also add a front fan to the PC if I add a second harddrive.  Is that correct?

If Lenovo could make adding a second harddrive to these towers a little more straight forward, standard parts and easy, I am certain the customers would be much happier.

Thank You for your assisatnce

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 7,004
Message 6 of 11

@Danf80503 wrote:

BiggAl, does the connector for the Front Fan (43N9599) go into the connector "16" on the system board?

Correct,  connects to 16, a standard 4 pin fan header, lower right edge of motherboard.   I have my front fan connected there. 

I do not work for Lenovo. I do not respond to Private Messages for help, your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where the information exchange may help others. If I helped you, click the 'Kudos' button, if solved, the 'Accept as Solution'.
njarvis3
What's DOS?
Views: 6,158
Message 7 of 11

Will the above bracket and fan fit a 7034 model ThinkCentre? 

If not, what fan and bracket and fam part number would I need for 7034 desktop ThinkCentre?

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 6,140
Message 8 of 11

You can find the part numbers required for your specific model in the Hardware Maintenance manual:

http://download.lenovo.com/ibmdl/pub/pc/pccbbs/thinkcentre_pdf/0a23284.pdf
cterek
WWAN
Views: 3,817
Message 9 of 11

How many SATA devices does this unit support. I want to put in a boot SSD and 2 drives in RAID1; but from the looks of it I won't be able to connect the optical drive.

I think it's 3 x SATA connectors - is this all that's supported? Can the e-SATA connector be used for the optical drive?

thanks

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 3,810
Message 10 of 11

@cterek wrote:

I think it's 3 x SATA connectors - is this all that's supported? Can the e-SATA connector be used for the optical drive?

Yes, the eSATA can be used for an internal drive (HDD or optical -- you provide separate power from the PSU), however I have never seen the speed of the eSATA port documented (and could be 1.5, 3.0 or 6.0GB, but I suspect it's not 6.0), and one of the regular SATA ports is 2.0, the other 2 are 3.0.   I don't know how this is going to work with a SSD and a pair of RAID 1 HDDs.   [I had a M91p myself with a SSD on one 3.0 port, HDD on another, optical on the 2.0]

f-m91p-sata.png

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors