Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
baleman2
Paper Tape
Views: 21,411
Message 1 of 9

BIOS shows no Model number or Serial number

M82 ThinkCentre - Type 3302.  Model number:  3302F2U

This machine was originally purchased with the Windows 7 Pro operating system.  I took advantage of the free Windows 10 upgrade when it was available over a year ago.

A few days ago I had to replace the motherboard.  The computer is running fine.  However, when it first boots there are 2 short beeps with an EEOC error.  This error referenced the BIOS containing invalid Model Number and Serial Number.  When I access the BIOS the following entries are seen:

1) Machine Type and Model                            INVALID

2) System Brand ID                                           Lenovo Product

3) System Serial Number                                 INVALID

4) Asset Tag

5) System UUID                                                 FFFFFFFF-FFFF-FFFF-FFFF-FFFFFFFFFFFF

6) Ethernet MAC Address                                FC-4D-D4-DB-34-F7

7) BIOS Revision Level                                     9SKT75AUS 

8) Boot Block Revision Level                          9S75A

9) BIOS Date                                                      09/17/2013

I see references to using WinPhlash to manually update the needed settings.  However, I'm unsure (because of my upgraded from Windows 7 Pro to Windows 10 Pro) of which BIOS upgrade to use.

I'd like to get that info along with instructions of exactly "how to" complete this process.

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 21,393
Message 2 of 9

Re: BIOS shows no Model number or Serial number

At the start of the BIOS update process, it gives you option to enter or change those (use CD ISO update only.)  

I do not work for Lenovo. I do not respond to Private Messages for help, your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where the information exchange may help others. If I helped you, click the 'Kudos' button, if solved, the 'Accept as Solution'.
baleman2
Paper Tape
Views: 21,374
Message 3 of 9

Which BIOS update do I use?

Windows 7 64 bit or Windows 10 64 bit?

baleman2
Paper Tape
Views: 21,368
Message 4 of 9

The Lenovo website has a section describing commands used to insert/edit the Model number and/or Serial number via the command line interface.  As follows:

1) Insert Model #:        flash2.exe /mtm:3302F2U

2) Insert Serial #:         flash2.exe /sn:#######

I've burned the ISO image to a CD and inserted into the computer in question.  Must I reboot in order to use the commands above or just go to a command prompt and enter the commands.?

I've just spent a lot of money for this new motherboard and don't want to make any mistakes.

Mod's Edit: Serial number removed from public view to protect owner from its unwanted use.

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 21,352
Message 5 of 9

Boot from that CD, when the standalone installer loads (making it independent of the OS on the system, and any problems with it -- therefore the prefered update method), it will ask if you want to update the serial number, the model number after that.   I reran the last update for my M73 system, here are the prompts: 

DSC01806.JPG

DSC01807.JPG

I do not work for Lenovo. I do not respond to Private Messages for help, your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where the information exchange may help others. If I helped you, click the 'Kudos' button, if solved, the 'Accept as Solution'.
baleman2
Paper Tape
Views: 21,320
Message 6 of 9

Screenshots were perfect - those are the prompts I received.

After entering the Serial # and Machine Type, it looks as though the BIOS was getting upgraded.  At least by the command line entries that were appearing onscreen.

I'm now at a prompt asking, "BIOS ROM file is older than (or same as) the current BIOS ROM image."  Continue anyway?  (Y,y) or (N,n)?

Which should I choose?

baleman2
Paper Tape
Views: 21,319
Message 7 of 9

My fault for last post.  It seems the BIOS did get updated during the steps used to enter new Serial # and Model #.

The machine rebooted and because I had left my bootable Cd in the drive, it prompted me again for BIOS update.  I answered "No", rebooted again and all is well.

Thanks for your help!

pc_repair_guy
What's DOS?
Views: 8,956
Message 8 of 9

Hello, 

Can someone please tell me how I can find the proper serial number and machine type to enter to update the firmware for my new motherboard? Thanks! 

wojb4r97
What's DOS?
Views: 8,512
Message 9 of 9

What if I get „bios does not support AFU” ? Please help me

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors