Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Orthoducks
Serial Port
Views: 33,066
Message 1 of 3

Beep codes?

Beep codes seem pretty basic, but the information I've found is scattered and incomplete. Is there a complete list of ThinkCentre beep codes... anywhere?

Failing that, perhaps someone can identify the codes I'm getting from a couple of salvaged ThinkCentres that I'm trying to restore. One is model E1U, type 2209, and beeps short-short-short-long. The other is model A9U, type 3042, and beeps short-short.

sclexman
Bit Torrent
Views: 33,028
Message 2 of 3

Re: Beep codes?

From your support page, click desktops/AIO. M series, M77 desktop. Let the page load.

Then go to the very bottom of the page, select documentation under SUPPORT. Let the page load.

Filter by hardware maintenace manual.  You will get this: 

https://download.lenovo.com/ibmdl/pub/pc/pccbbs/thinkcentre_pdf/0b07128.pdf

3 shorts 1 long is memory not detected

2 shorts is post error. Look up error hex code in HMM, page 67.

Orthoducks
Serial Port
Views: 32,992
Message 3 of 3

Re: Beep codes?

Thank you, sclexman.

Actually I found that page, but I didn't recognize it as useful, for a couple of reasons. The first was that it looked incomplete because it listed only two codes. I have never encountered a motherboard that had only two beep codes. (And I can certify that these boards have more, because I have gotten others from them).

The second reason is that the description of the second code isn't useful. There is no "error hex code" because the computer doesn't display anything. The whole point of beep codes is to communicate some useful information when the computer can't display anything. I'm afraid that all I can say here is, "What were they thinking?"

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors