07-23-2012 04:33 AM
Hello, we just update the Bios for the ThinkCentre M91. The machine has a Power-On Password. The Power-On Password works before the Update fine. Now the ThinkCentre boots and ask for the Password. We give the Power-On Password in but it should be wrong.
What can we do? No boot, no work :-(
07-23-2012 09:35 AM - edited 07-23-2012 09:36 AM
The Power-On Password or Administrator password can be reset by following these instructions, if you are comfortable with opening up your computer:
Erasing lost or forgotten passwords (clearing CMOS)
This section provides instructions on how to erase lost or forgotten passwords, such as a user password.
To erase a lost or forgotten password, do the following:
1. Remove all media from the drives and turn off all attached devices and the computer. Then, disconnect
all power cords from electrical outlets and disconnect all cables that are connected to the computer.
2. Open the computer cover. See “Opening the computer cover” on page 72.
3. Locate the Clear CMOS /Recovery jumper on the system board. See “Locating parts on the system
board” on page 71.
4. Move the jumper from the standard position (pin 1 and pin 2) to the maintenance position (pin 2 and
5. Close the computer cover and connect the power cord. See “Completing the parts replacement”
on page 98.
6. Turn on the computer and leave it on for approximately 10 seconds. Then, turn off the computer by
holding the power switch for approximately five seconds.
7. Repeat step 1 through step 2.
8. Move the Clear CMOS /Recovery jumper back to the standard position (pin 1 and pin 2).
9. Close the computer cover and connect the power cord. See “Completing the parts replacement”
on page 98.
This is from the ThinkCentre Hardware Maintenance Manual: http://download.lenovo.com/ibmdl/pub/pc/pccbbs/thinkcentre_pdf/0a74394.pdf
Hope that helps!