Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
itseaman
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,972
Message 1 of 29

Bios failure after thinkvantage update ThinkCentre M92

Hi everyone,

Yesterday I had new updates from lenovo utility. It was an update of the BIOS. After reboot my thinkcentre didn't start up.

I can hear 2 beep after start and black screen. I tried to use recovery with jumper but no success. 

How to make restore of the BIOS from USB? Please help!

itseaman
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,932
Message 2 of 29

Re: Bios failure after thinkvantage update ThinkCentre M92

I have AMI BIOS. I found that could be a problem with ECC settings, but I can't get even to setup utility.
Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 1,916
Message 3 of 29

Do you have a CD/DVD drive?  If so, burn a CD with the CD ISO image at the bottom here:  Flash BIOS update - ThinkCentre Edge 92, ThinkCentre M82, M92 and M92p

Otherwise the USB drive package is higher on same page with instructions inside the package. 

I do not work for Lenovo. I do not respond to Private Messages for help, your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where the information exchange may help others. If I helped you, click the 'Kudos' button, if solved, the 'Accept as Solution'.
itseaman
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,891
Message 4 of 29

Unfortunately same story - in receovery mode - jumper(2+3) I have 2 short beeps at startup and black screen on the monitor. Any other idea?

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 1,870
Message 5 of 29

What form factor/model?   Did you try a CD or USB drive? 

I do not work for Lenovo. I do not respond to Private Messages for help, your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where the information exchange may help others. If I helped you, click the 'Kudos' button, if solved, the 'Accept as Solution'.
itseaman
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,859
Message 6 of 29

It's tower ThinkCentre M92p Machine type 2992 Model B3G.

I tried USB and CD - and doesn't matter where is the recovery jumper - I have 2 short beeps at startup. But if there is no memory - it's sound 1 long and 3 shorts as usual -  memory also OK. I'm confused.

ntgreene_IBM
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,840
Message 7 of 29

this might help the understanding of what you are trying to do and the beeps you are hearing.

CMOS reset process:

Before proceeding, be sure to review the safety information. NOTE: Systems with Vpro / AMT, once the CMOS jumper has been moved over from pins 1&2, over to Pins 2&3, if the battery is removed while the power cord is unplugged from the power supply, all AMT setting will be cleared.
Turn off the computer and any attached devices, such as printers, monitors, and external drives.
Unplug all power cords from electrical outlets, and remove the cover.
Locate the Clear CMOS/Recovery jumper on the system board.
If necessary, remove any adapters that impede access to the Clear CMOS/Recovery jumper.
Move the jumper from the standard position (pins 1 and 2) to pins 2 and 3.
Replace any adapters that were removed.
Replace the cover.
Reconnect the power cords for the computer and monitor to electrical outlets.
Restart the computer, leave it on for approximately 10 seconds.
Turn off the computer by holding the power switch for approximately 5 seconds.
Unplug the power cords from electrical outlets.
Remove the cover.
If necessary, remove any adapters that impede access to the Clear CMOS/Recovery jumper.
Return the Clear CMOS/Recovery jumper to its original position.
Replace any adapters that were removed.
Replace the cover and reconnect any cables that were disconnected.
Turn on the computer. The computer should sound 2 beeps. The time and date should need to be set. If not, the procedure did not work.
After resetting the date, time, and saving the settings, exit the System Configuration Utility.

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 1,808
Message 8 of 29

@itseaman wrote:

Hi everyone,

Yesterday I had new updates from lenovo utility. It was an update of the BIOS. After reboot my thinkcentre didn't start up.

I can hear 2 beep after start and black screen. I tried to use recovery with jumper but no success. 

How to make restore of the BIOS from USB? Please help!

From what you wrote, you have suffered a BIOS update failure (others have had a similar failure recently), and will need to do a "Boot-block Recovery", which involves a CMOS reset, but includes BIOS update media.   

Using a CD is the easiest and most reliable method with a tower system.   But it is absolutely vital is that the 'CD ISO image' file downloaded from the Lenovo support page be burned to a bootable CD.  Copying the file, or creating a non-bootable disk, will not work.  You are creating this CD on a different PC, Google "make bootable CD, ISO file, with Windows xx", xx = the version of Windows you are using.   Windows File Manager has this capability now, from Win 7 onwards.   If you boot this CD on a different system, I believe that the installer will load, you'll get a message on the screen, but will go no further because it's on the wrong hardware (but I've never tried.)

**   One other thing, if you have the monitor connected to a graphics card in a PCI slot, you must move the monitor to the ports that are built into the system, preferably the VGA.  

f-m92p boot-block recovery.png

itseaman
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,791
Message 9 of 29

So, what I have at the moment.  I have a bootable CD-R with image of BIOS - checked on another PC - boot DOS. 

Dead M92p - if I disconnect everything from it except DVD and start PC with jumper in 2&3 - I receive 2 short quiet continous beeps until I put CD-R into DVD and close, after that I have 2 short loud beeps and black screen. There is no image at all!

Also I tried to take off the battery and reset CMOS - same story 2 short loud beeps at startup and black screen.

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 1,788
Message 10 of 29

Did you try a power-on with the (BIOS) CD already in the drive, and the jumper in the maintenance position? 

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors