Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
ndibi
Paper Tape
Views: 2,137
Message 1 of 7

Brand New M900 Desktop Constantly Freezing!

Hello,

I purchased a M900 Thinkcentre desktop a few months ago, right away I was having issues with the computer freezing randomly. Nothing works when the computer freezes and I'm forced to do a hard reboot each time. The computer will freeze in the middle of literally anything I'm doing, no rhyme or reason as far as I can tell. I've even stepped away and come back to the machine frozen on the screensaver while I had no applications running in the background.

Being a new computer this is very strange and I've tried to troubleshoot the issue and find a fix, but with no luck. Has anyone encountered similar problems or has any idea what the underlying issue may be?

Some specs:

Processor:  Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-6700 CPU @ 3.40GHz, 3408 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 8 Logical Processor(s)

(RAM):  16.0 GB

Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce GT 720

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 2,127
Message 2 of 7

Re: Brand New M900 Desktop Constantly Freezing!

What's the form factor & model number (4 digit number)?

Can you tell me what the BIOS version is   (run 'system information - it's 1/2 way down the first page)?  

Have you run all the comprehensive diagnostics in Lenovo Solution Center (let it do the update if you haven't run it recently)? 

Do you have a Registry cleaner installed and used (preferably 'CCleaner')?

Thx,  Al.  

I do not work for Lenovo. I do not respond to Private Messages for help, your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where the information exchange may help others. If I helped you, click the 'Kudos' button, if solved, the 'Accept as Solution'.
sclexman
Bit Torrent
Views: 2,112
Message 3 of 7

I would also suggest to update your AMD driver to current for starters.

current driver for GeForce GT 720

Since this is a new machine, even using the Lenovo driver might not resolve the issue.

Users of recent have reported issues with AMD drivers on Win 10, which have been resolved with the latest driver update.

You may have another issue. 

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 2,066
Message 4 of 7

@sclexman wrote:

I would also suggest to update your AMD driver to current for starters.

current driver for GeForce GT 720

Since this is a new machine, even using the Lenovo driver might not resolve the issue.

Users of recent have reported issues with AMD drivers on Win 10, which have been resolved with the latest driver update.

I'm pretty sure sclexman meant to write 'Nvidia' where AMD is.   And he is correct, a misbehaving video driver can cause significant problems.    If you update that, and supply the information I requested above, that would be great.  

I do not work for Lenovo. I do not respond to Private Messages for help, your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where the information exchange may help others. If I helped you, click the 'Kudos' button, if solved, the 'Accept as Solution'.
sclexman
Bit Torrent
Views: 2,057
Message 5 of 7

Oops.

Thanks!  

AMD

ndibi
Paper Tape
Views: 2,034
Message 6 of 7

Not sure how to find the form factor number or 4 digit model number. BIOS is LENOVO FWKT33A, mode: UEFI

I've run CCleaner already, and re-updated the Nvidia driver. Problem still persists.

I ran the Comprehensive Diagnostic tests and they all passed, took 3 attempts because of freezing...

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 2,029
Message 7 of 7

That BIOS is very out-of-date, it's at version 49 now.    I suggest using the CD ISO as it's a more reliable method. 

Thinkcentre M900 BIOS download page

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors