10-31-2017

AU

2 Signins

13 Page Views

• Views: 13
  • Message 1 of 3

Brand new M710q Tiny not recognising 512GB m.2 SATA SSD

2017-10-31, 23:42 PM

I purchased a ThinkCentre M710q Tiny (10MR-A002AU) and a 2.5" 1TB hard drive with the intent of adding secondary storage to the 256GB m.2 SSD it came with.
When I opened the unit to install the HDD, I found that it didn't have normal SATA adapter and power - it uses a 9mm ZIF socket that does SATA and power... It turns out I have to buy the able for this and the 2.5" HDD tray seperately.  How frustrating!

Anyhow - I also purchased a new Lenovo notebook which came with a 512GB m.2 SSD so I though I'd just swap them over - put the 256GB SSD in the laptop and the 512GB SSD into the Tiny.  No deal!

The 512GB m.2 SSD is a SATA SSD and the Tiny won't recognise it in the BIOS at all.  When I looked at the 256GB m.2 SSD it came with, I can see that it's an OPAL PCIe NVMe drive, yet the specs page for this unit on the website list both SATA and NVMe support.

The M710q only has one m.2 space so I'm wondering if I am stuck with NVMe m.2's or if a BIOS update will enable the SATA support.

Options

4006 Posts

01-01-2012

US

7912 Signins

118783 Page Views

• Views: 118783
  • Message 2 of 3

Re: Brand new M710q Tiny not recognising 512GB m.2 SATA SSD

2017-11-01, 12:57 PM

The 512GB m.2 SSD is a SATA SSD and the Tiny won't recognise it in the BIOS at all.  When I looked at the 256GB m.2 SSD it came with, I can see that it's an OPAL PCIe NVMe drive, yet the specs page for this unit on the website list both SATA and NVMe support.  The M710q only has one m.2 space so I'm wondering if I am stuck with NVMe m.2's or if a BIOS update will enable the SATA support.

The M710 and M910 are SATA for traditional form factor drives, and PCIe NVMe for the M.2 storage slot (PCIe being several times faster than SATA.)   The difference is engineered in hardware, and is not something that be made backward compatible with a BIOS change. 

M710-Tiny-drive-specs

I do not work for Lenovo. I do not respond to Private Messages for help, your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where the information exchange may help others. If I helped you, click the 'Thumbs up' button, if solved, the 'Accept as solution'.
Options

1 Posts

07-03-2018

AU

1 Signins

26 Page Views

• Views: 26
  • Message 3 of 3

Re: Brand new M710q Tiny not recognising 512GB m.2 SATA SSD

2018-07-03, 17:03 PM

wrote:

..  No deal!

Haha...

I just made a purchase that I'm in the middle of starting a RMA/Refund for... I'm also going to be lodging a complaint to the Australian Competition and Consumer Commission for misleading advertising

Why bother having a space for the m.2 "SSD2" on the PCB if the ability to use it and lack of soldered connector is absent?

This is the first and last time I'm ever going to use a Lenovo device.

It's the first time I've seen an OEM charge for fastening screws in their spare parts store.

Don't have drive options as listed bullet points if there are limitations... state the limitation... don't wait for people to buy and then lock them in to having to purchase options like a drive caddy, cable, screws... or a new model that actually haves expandable slots available.

I now have 2 useless SSDs (500GB SATA III [no drive caddy included... yay!!] and 512GB M.2 NVME... 3 SSDs if you count the current installed 256GB OEM Samsung) and my Hyper-V deployment now has to be delayed. 

Also asking for $600 for 16GB DDR4 is abhorrent

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save