Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Fabri8686
Paper Tape
Views: 239
Message 1 of 7

CPU and Ram upgrade for ThinkCentre A61 9144 A22

Hello !

A friend of mine brought me his computer to make a fresh format/reinstall and possibly upgrade it.

I cleaned the computer, changed thermal pasta with arctic silver mx5 etc. Activated windows 7 premium family with the key on the side of the computer, so far so good.

But the computer could really use an upgrade. So I checked on the internet and found this : 

Socket is AM2, and Phenom ready (page4). Possible CPU upgrades are Athlon 2 6400+ (dual core 3.2 ghz) and Phenom x4 9550 (quad core 2.6 ghz).

Also, there are 4 memory slots, DDR2 PC 6400 (800 mhz). Max memory supported is 8 gb theorically.

My questions are : 

- Which compatible CPU is the best ? Is Phenom x4 9550 really compatible ? 
- 4x 2gb ram is the best configuration ? 

Thanks in advance for your help.

Fabri8686

msdklldfjhg
Paper Tape
Views: 199
Message 2 of 7

Re: CPU and Ram upgrade for ThinkCentre A61 9144 A22

I have and A61 9129 running a quad core 3.0 ghz cpu. I think its a phenom. It was the highest spec CPU my machine could take after I did a heap of research a few years ago. its been running nicely and very stable. i have lots of fans in the case, one in the front and one in the back plus the CPU and graphics card and PSU have fans, thats 5 fans. . there was a spot in the front or back for an extra fan which fitted in nicely and there was a socket to plug it in to ive got 8G of ram I think that's the limit on these machines PS this forum was "phenom"enonally hard to join so i could answer your question. the paste function for passwords seems to be disabled and it took me 15 mins to correctly type a long string of random characters and symbols (like my passwords are) correctly twice, and then get the auto captcha thing wrong, and then have to type (not paste) the passwords again, and then enter not one but two emails and verify them.... if i have to type my password rather than paste it i doubt I'll be using this forum much again
msdklldfjhg
Paper Tape
Views: 198
Message 3 of 7

also i have win 7 on a solid state hard drive, its much faster with that
Fabri8686
Paper Tape
Views: 186
Message 4 of 7

Thanks for your reply ! I ve been able to use this phenom x4 9950 BE smoothly after putting correct heatsink and artic mx5. Temps are 47-57 C° which is the coolest i could get. I added 4 x 2 gb ram pc 6400u. But system wont boot correctly with 8 gb yet. I tried with 3x 2gb and it works fine. I think the last ram socket is defective. It used to work with 6 gb pc 5300 using all slots though (with 1 error in prime95 and sometimes blue screen)... not sure where is the problem in the end. I will check with 2x 4 gb pc 6400.

msdklldfjhg
Paper Tape
Views: 179
Message 5 of 7

Have you tried every combination of swapping the ram modules? if i get time I'll have a look at exactly what's inside my machine.

when i first tried to boot it with 8G and the new cpu, it didnt boot. 

i had to rearrange the dimm modules in a different order, and then it worked perfectly and has ever since

ive noticed this with other machines too, i don't know why it happens but it does happen

eg my thinkpad R61, previously had 2 x 2G modules, one kingstone, one generic. it worked fine with them around one way, but if i swapped which slot each module was in, it wouldnt boot. (last week i upgraded the R61 to 8G with two x 4g generic modules and it worked fine straight away Smiley Happy

i noticed this issue (the order of the modules which are identically spec'ed but made by different companies , works in some slots but not others) with some older late 1990s and 2000s computers also

PS it did let me paste my long random string of characters that is my password into the login field Smiley Happy 

msdklldfjhg
Paper Tape
Views: 178
Message 6 of 7

when i've noticed this slot order issue, its consistent on the same machine. i.e the R61 always fails to boot with the two 2G modules inserted one way around in each slot, and if you then swap the order of which module goes in which slot, it always works. it's totally repeatable as i tried it several times and 100% of the time it works one way around and fails 100% of the time the other way around

i did notice this with the A61 also, but  i forgot which combination worked as i tried several and there are more slots. i think i also noticed it with the original cpu in that some configurations or ram modules would work and others not , even when they were supposedly identical spec dimms 

msdklldfjhg
Paper Tape
Views: 174
Message 7 of 7

I also noticed around 1999 when I re-assembled 50-100 different PC's that the IBM machines were less picky about what brands of RAM would work in them than most other PC brands. this was one of the reasons I chose to buy Lenovo for my own machines later on

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors