Options

1 Posts

02-23-2021

United States of America

2 Signins

0 Page Views

• Views: 0
  • Message 1 of 3

Can I upgrade to M.2 SSD in Lenovo M90 ThinkCentre?

2021-02-23, 5:12 AM

Hello,

I am attempting to upgrade the old HDD in my mother's Lenovo M90 Tower (yr 2011 model 3246B9U) to an M.2 SSD drive via the PCIE16X port using a PCIE adaptor.  The current spinning hard drive is still working but it makes a constant ticking/grinding sound the whole time it is on and I am afraid it may be in it's last days!   I have cloned the old hard drive over to the new M.2 drive but the computer will not boot from the new drive.  When I have the old drive connected, it see's the new M.2 drive and all of the files showing as cloned, however, when I disconnect the old drive, the system will not boot from the M.2 drive.  I have attempted to change a few of the BIOS settings as the result of some internet searches, but nothing has worked.  Am I trying to marry an old motherboard with new technology that is not compatible?  Does the Lenovo M90 model 3246 lack the ability to boot from the PCIE port/slot?  I tried to do proper research before purchasing the M.2 drive and the PCIE adaptor, and from what I was reading, it appeared that they would be compatible.  Do I just need to go with a standard SATA 2.5" SSD instead?  
Thanks to anyone that may can point me in the right direction.  

Options

4118 Posts

12-11-2015

United States of America

4493 Signins

50892 Page Views

• Views: 50892
  • Message 2 of 3

Re:Can I upgrade to M.2 SSD in Lenovo M90 ThinkCentre?

2021-02-23, 6:01 AM

That system is old enough that I doubt that its BIOS is able to see a PCIe SSD as a bootable device, in fact I don't think that Intel's Q57 Chipset even supports it,  so I would say your best bet would be to go with a SATA SSD.

Cheers,  

Options

4971 Posts

01-01-2012

United States of America

8219 Signins

128888 Page Views

• Views: 128888
  • Message 3 of 3

Re:Can I upgrade to M.2 SSD in Lenovo M90 ThinkCentre?

2021-02-23, 14:24 PM

Correct.  This 2011 generation of M90 uses the 1st gen Intel core processor, bootable PCIe SSD (NVMe) was not supported until 5th gen Intel. 

I do not work for Lenovo. I do not respond to Private Messages for help, your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where the information exchange may help others. If I helped you, click the 'Thumbs up' button, if solved, the 'Accept as solution'.
Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms