cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mikekmac
What's DOS?
Views: 808
Message 1 of 2

Can S50 BIOS handle SATA DVD drive and PATA hard drive configuration?

I'm trying to replace the OEM PATA CDR/DVD-ROM in my recently acquired S50, and can't seem to find a setup configuration which will allow it to boot with an LG SATA DVDR as a replacement. Cabling is not the issue--there's a SATA power connector right there at the drive cage, and the two SATA data connectors in the middle of the motherboard. With the DVDR connected, the system won't boot past the Windows logo screen. Disconnect it, and the system boots fine. I've searched the User Guide and Hardware Maintenance Guides for every SATA reference, and they only refer to a SATA hard drive as an alternative to the PATA hard drive. All references to the CDR/DVD-ROM assume it is PATA. Googling did not produce a definitive answer as to whether this is a permitted configuration (PATA/SATA mix). I'm hoping someone here can say either "No, not possible," or "Yes, I've done it--here's the setup parameters." Mike
Kemar
Fanfold Paper
Views: 750
Message 2 of 2

Re: Can S50 BIOS handle SATA DVD drive and PATA hard drive configuration?

Hi Mike

"Yes, I've done it" Go to my inputs to this forum in late October for my trials and tribulations with the self same problem. My solution was to remove & refit the CMOS battery as described. I've retained my PATA hard drive & installed a SATA DVD rewriter plus I have access to Setup Utility ( ie BIOS access) whenever I need it. I hope it works for you. Call back if you need to.

Regards Kemar

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors