Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

ThinkStationThinkStation Workstations
All Forum Topics
Options

2 Posts

05-05-2021

United States of America

2 Signins

15 Page Views

• Views: 15
  • Message 1 of 5

P340 Tiny: can't get into the BIOS

2021-05-05, 19:45 PM

Hello, we work with a lot of  Thinkpad and Lenovo devices, and usually when you first boot them up, we're met with the "Press Enter to Interrupt Startup" to boot to the BIOS. On this new machine, P340 Tiny Workstation - Type 30DF, it skips straight to the sign in. I've tried:

1. Turning off Fast Startup in the Power Options

2. Mashing all of the known buttons that typically takes you to BIOS, i.e. Enter, F1, ESC, F12, etc.. 

3. Doing an advanced restart by going to settings -> Update and Security -> Recovery -> "Advanced Startup"

From the Advanced Startup menu, I've tried selecting the "Troubleshooting -> Advanced Options -> UEFI Firmware Settings", and upon selecting this and rebooting, it takes me directly to the login page of Windows again. 

From the Advanced Startup Page I've also tried selecting a bootable Windows USB Drive as the boot device. When I do this, the monitor stays completely blank, and does not boot to the Windows startup page, nor to the USB Device that I select.

I have also tried all of the Video ports in the back of the Computer, HDMI, DP, and Mini DP. The computer has built-in Video ports, as well as Video Ports on the Dedicated GPU. I have tried both of these. 

Does anyone have any more suggestions as to how I can get computer to boot into BIOS? Or at least interrupt the boot process and select another boo device? Thank you. 

Options

5228 Posts

02-22-2010

United States of America

3686 Signins

51545 Page Views

• Views: 51545
  • Message 2 of 5

Re:P340 Tiny: can't get into the BIOS

2021-05-05, 21:01 PM

With P340 Tiny, you'll need to make sure your primary display is attached to the discrete GPU in the .  Note that both of those cards utilize miniDP outputs, so you'll likely need to convert that in order to connect it to a standard display.  POST/BIOS will not show up on displays connected to the onboard graphics ports in that case as the onboard ports will only light up once the OS loads the appropriate graphics driver.

Once you power on the system, wait for the numlock LED to illuminate on the keyboard.  When it does, you can start tapping F1 to get into BIOS setup.  POST is usually pretty quick in those systems, but as long as your tapping F1 at that time (probably at a rate of once per second...no need to go crazy mashing the key), you should be able to catch it.

If that's still not working, the problem is likely something with the cabling/display/display input.  I'm assuming you do not have this system installed in a TIO enclosure.

Don't mess with the advanced startup settings in BIOS setup.  That's not needed just to get to the startup menu.

Since it sounds like you can eventually get graphics output once the OS loads, I would normally guess your display is connected to the onboard ports (DP, HDMI) and not the GPU port (miniDP), but you did mention you already checked that.  The actual GPU miniDP port you use shouldn't matter, but typically the primary port on the GPU is the one closest to the left edge of the .

If we've helped resolve your issue, please be sure to mark your topic as solved!
Options

2 Posts

05-05-2021

United States of America

2 Signins

15 Page Views

• Views: 15
  • Message 3 of 5

2021-05-07, 18:33 PM

Thank you for the timely response, this seemed to have resolved the problem!

Options

1 Posts

09-14-2021

United States of America

2 Signins

0 Page Views

• Views: 0
  • Message 4 of 5

2021-09-14, 12:42 PM

Sorry but I am not understanding the "." in your response of "attached to the discrete GPU in the .  Note" Is that supposed to be the rear?

Options

5228 Posts

02-22-2010

United States of America

3686 Signins

51545 Page Views

• Views: 51545
  • Message 5 of 5

2021-09-14, 20:06 PM

The discrete GPU in P340 Tiny uses miniDP connections.  So you'd want to make sure your display was connected to one of those ports in order to see graphics output during POST.  The onboard graphics on P340 Tiny uses standard DP and HDMI connections, and these ports will not display video output during POST when a discrete GPU is installed in the system.  

If we've helped resolve your issue, please be sure to mark your topic as solved!
Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms