Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
aras
Token Ring
Views: 1,477
Message 1 of 9

Connecting SB sound card to front mic and headphone inputs

I am installing a PCI Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Xtreme Audio in my ThinkCentre M51 1843-wnv with 2.5 GB RAM and a freshly installed PCIe ATI Radeon HD 4550 graphics card.

My question is this: How do I connect the sound card to the front mic and headphone inputs?  I have been googling this all day and keep running into something about "2 x 5 pin Front Panel Header for connections with Intel HD Front Panel Audio standard header" but don't really understand what that means.

Thanks!

----------------------------------
ThinkCentre M51 (8143-WNV): Intel Pentium 4 (HT), 4 GB RAM, 40 GB 7200 RPM SATA HDD, PCI Tower (4x5), Intel GMA 900, 48x32x48x16x CD-RW & DVD combo, Broadcom Gigabit Ethernet, Win XP Pro, US Robotics voice/data modem PCI, USB 2.0 PCI card
lead_org Microsoft MVP Contributor
Microsoft MVP Contributor
Views: 1,463
Message 2 of 9

Re: Connecting SB sound card to front mic and headphone inputs

there should be a cable that is connected on the motherboard, which connects the internal sound card sound out, mic in to your external front sound jacks, disconnect that cable and try to fit it on your sound card. 

Regards,

Jin Li

May this year, be the year of 'DO'!

I am a volunteer, and not a paid staff of Lenovo or Microsoft
aras
Token Ring
Views: 1,460
Message 3 of 9

Thanks lead_org I'll give that a try.  I believe the difficulty will be trying to figure out which of those 10 tiny brass pins on the PCIe sound card are the ones to connect the cable to...  The documentation accompanying the sound card is unclear around this point.  At least to someone who isn't digging around inside a PC every day  Smiley Wink

ThinkCentre M51 (8143-WNV): Intel Pentium 4 (HT), 4 GB RAM, 40 GB 7200 RPM SATA HDD, PCI Tower (4x5), Intel GMA 900, 48x32x48x16x CD-RW & DVD combo, Broadcom Gigabit Ethernet, Win XP Pro, US Robotics voice/data modem PCI, USB 2.0 PCI card
Views: 1,457
Message 4 of 9

are you sure that is the right model number for your desktop, because i couldn't find any information regarding your desktop using the number you provided. 

Regards,

Jin Li

aras
Token Ring
Views: 1,454
Message 5 of 9

Whoops!  Sorry about that lead_org.  Just a bit of dyslexia on my part.  My model number is 8143-wnv.

When digging into it some more today I think I might be out of luck.  The documentation for my Sound Blaster PCIe XFi Titianium card (yes I went for that one instead of the XtremeAudio PCI card I noted in my originaly post) notes that it is not compatible with the AC97 configuration for front phone and mic jacks.  I believe that is what the TC M51 8143-wnv has under its hood.

I wonder if there is anyway around that....

Cheers

aras

Views: 1,423
Message 6 of 9

doesn't these high end sound card have a breakout box??? 

Regards,

Jin Li

aras
Token Ring
Views: 1,415
Message 7 of 9

what is a breakout box?

I see pins on the card that the manual indicate should connect to frontside mic and headphones but I cannot figure out how to make the connection.  A connecting cable was not supplied with my computer or my sound card.  Or should I just be able to figure out where the front side headphone/mic jacks are currently connected to the motherboard and just unplug it and plug them on to the card pins?

I hope it is as easy as that!

Views: 1,411
Message 8 of 9

http://www.dv247.com/assets/products/4604_l.jpg

this is a breakout box. 

Regards,

Jin Li

aras
Token Ring
Views: 1,403
Message 9 of 9

Nope, my SB PCIe Titanium card did not come with a breakout box.  Just has the usual inputs and outputs on the back of the card.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors