cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
runev
Not applicable
Views: 2,547
Message 1 of 4

Doesn't PCI-e video cards work anymore with the M92p?

I've got a ThinkCentre M92p (2992B3G) that I bought over 6 months ago. 

It's a pretty standard setup, and I haven't done anything to the hardware except upgrading it to 8GB of memory and adding a new SSD for my system drive. I'm running on Windows 8, with all updates installed (incl. from Lenovo System Update). That means that the BIOS is also the latest version (9SKT70AUS), 

A few days ago I bought a Asus NVIDIA GT640 to be able to run StarCraft II. I currently also run a dual-screen setup with 2x BENQ 24" BL2400. I've been building my own computers for the past 15 years, so I figured this would be a breeze. 

Not that fast .. 

This is where my issues begin. I can not for the life of me get the new video card to work. The problem begins before the operating system even boots, so I can't even see the POST messages, or enter the BIOS. If i want to make changes to the BIOS settings, I have to remove the card, make the changes, and insert the card again before booting. 

The symptoms are quite simple; black screen, no signal. 

Here's a few things I've tried;

• I've tried the GEFORCE GT640 in another rig. Runs just fine, so the video card isn't faulty.
  • I've tried a similar RADEON HD7750 in both computers. Same problems as the other card.
  • I've tried four different monitors. No luck.
  • I've tried different video card settings in the BIOS (AUTO, PEG etc). Nothing seems to help. 
  • It's not a driver issue. I've tried booting both Windows 7 and Windows 8, and in both cases I've tried it with a variety of drivers installed (and not installed). Tried drivers both from Lenovo and NVIDIA's official driver packages.
  • I've tried 3 different DVI-cables, a VGA cable and an HDMI cables. All work on other rigs, but not with the PCI-e card in the M92p.
  • I've had the motherboard replaced.
  • Yes, I do upgrade my BIOS from a bootable CD.

Now here's the weird thing. I've had the GT640 work earlier, but I removed it to use it temporarly in another rig. Since then I've done several BIOS upgrades, but no changes to the settings and/or OS. So it seems to me that a BIOS update broke something. It was at this point that I replaced the motherboard, but it didn't seem to help.

Any ideas guys? Has anyone had similar problems?

I'm desperate for some advice on this one.

runev
Not applicable
Views: 2,312
Message 2 of 4

Re: Doesn't PCI-e video cards work anymore with the M92p?

A few BIOS-updates later, and it still doesn't work.

Are there seriously no one else that has this problem?

DSperber
Not applicable
Views: 2,298
Message 3 of 4

Seems like there is another current thread describing pretty much the IDENTICAL problem you're experiencing... M92p, HD7750 involved (though your story tried other PCIe cards as well), black screen during boot, Windows 8 and UEFI BIOS, etc.

So it would definitely seem to be something Lenovo did.

Contact Lenovo support??

runev
Not applicable
Views: 2,280
Message 4 of 4

I've tried contacting support, as they're the ones that suggested replacing the motherboard. 

The repair guy that did the job also updated to the latest BIOS when he was at it, and I had no idea that it was probably the BIOS-update that was the problem in the first place. 

Could this really be an issue where the combination of both ThinkCentre M92p + ASUS GT 640 and ThinkCentre M92p + ASUS HD 7750 are not FCC Certified, even though the separate products themselves are?

If that's the case then the BIOS-update that "broke" my setup probably enabled this whitelist, which didn't approve of my video cards. That's **bleep**ed up, but it would explain a lot. 

Is there any way of knowing which M92p + Video Card combinations would work? Is this whitelist published anywhere?

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors