cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Smsunny
Punch Card
Views: 427
Message 1 of 4

Dose anyone knows the samsung sm961 M.2 SSD compatible thinkcentre m900 tiny?

Dose anyone knows the samsung sm961 M.2 SSD compatible thinkcentre m900 tiny?

calc
Token Ring
Views: 362
Message 2 of 4

Re: Dose anyone knows the samsung sm961 M.2 SSD compatible thinkcentre m900 tiny?

I'd be very careful using any m.2 NVMe drive in a m900 Tiny since ASPM appears to be broken on it leading to much higher temperatures than it should, on the order of 40C. Also, it appears the temperatures are worse the more flash there is on the drive. It even causes the m.2 PCIe wifi module to run much hotter than it should. I'm very surprised and disappointed that they didn't catch this problem before the system was even released in 2015, and the UEFI engineering team so far has refused to fix the issue. I have been talking to the engineering team for the past ~ 3 months about the issue and they recently decided to close the case and state that they will not fix it, **bleep**? Smiley Mad

It also does not lead to much confidence that they won't intentionally break the m910 Tiny in the exact same way.

I'm now looking into ways of fixing it on my own.

I suspect a m.2 SATA drive would work fine in the system.

See the following thread:

M900 Tiny: UEFI Bug - M.2 NVMe SSD & 8260 WiFi - ASPM disabled - Much hotter temperatures (throttle)

Red Hat - SSME
ThinkCentre m900 Tiny - ThinkPad W541 - ThinkPad Yoga 260
Smsunny
Punch Card
Views: 357
Message 3 of 4

Re: Dose anyone knows the samsung sm961 M.2 SSD compatible thinkcentre m900 tiny?

As far as I know, this sm961 has a new firmware can solve the problem of high temperature, version number seems to be 2.1

calc
Token Ring
Views: 352
Message 4 of 4

The lack of functioning ASPM ensures you will have high temperatures regardless of what the SSD firmware tries to do. It will likely throttle a LOT and run quite slowly, until it eventually completely dies. The SSD I have when put it in a ThinkPad Yoga 260 (i7-6600u) with properly functioning ASPM runs ~ 40C cooler than the same drive in the m900 Tiny (i7-6700t). Even under sustained heavy load it runs much much cooler in the ThinkPad Yoga 260 than even idle temps in the m900 Tiny (see graphs on other thread). The ThinkPad Yoga 260 is a convertible/ultrabook, it doesn't have some kind of magical cooling system and actually has the SSD covered up by plastic, which should in theory make it run hotter than in a case with more space (ie m900 Tiny).

Good Luck.

Red Hat - SSME
ThinkCentre m900 Tiny - ThinkPad W541 - ThinkPad Yoga 260
Top Kudoed Authors