Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
upinsmoke
Paper Tape
Views: 5,881
Message 1 of 6

E73 Black screen with cursor after Windows 10 Fall Creators update

Hi,

I've tried searching the forum for this issue but can't find a solution as yet...

Looking for some help to overcome a problem I have with my E73, i5, 4GB Win 10 desktop. The Fall creators update has applied itself a couple of times to this PC and both times has resulted in the black screen with cursor issue that appears to have hit a few people. However, none of the fixes reported have worked for me. The PC was bought with Win 8.1 installed and was upgraded to Win 10 which was installed on a new 256GB SSD and the original HDD used as the data  Drive.

I had suspected it was graphics card related so the last time i tried disabling the automatic updates, manually updating the Intel HD 4600 driver and running the creators update manually from the MS web site but same result.

Symptoms are machine boots to login screen OK, black screen occurs after login for all accounts. If I leave it, I see a couple of pop up messages about user profiles but nothing else other than the mouse cursor. Ctrl-alt-delete gives me the usual options but selecting task manager does not bring up task manager (not that I can see any way). Booting to safe mode gives the same result. Trying to remove the package from recovery options -> cmd prompt fails. The only way to get back is holding shift and clicking restart, going into recovery options and selecting go back to previous build.

I assume I am going to miss critical security updates if I cant get the update to run correctly (If I haven't missed a lot already). At the moment I have edited the registry to warn before downloading updates to try and stop the endless loop it is in.

Thanks in advance

B

Guru
Views: 5,841
Message 2 of 6

Re: E73 Black screen with cursor after Windows 10 Fall Creators update

I've encountered this issue on several devices. Black screen and cursor-only means, that account got corrupted and Windows can't use it. I don't recall, that more than single account got corrupted at the same time. Can you create a new account (keep old one) and then perform an upgrade?

Regarding upgrade, try to do it in a different way, that M$ advises. Download Windows ISO using Windows Media Creation tool. Mount it as Vitrual disc (just double click it) and run Setup.exe. Don't allow to download latest updates and then continue with upgrade.

------
upinsmoke
Paper Tape
Views: 5,825
Message 3 of 6

Thanks for the response (and sorry mods for posting in the wrong section on my first post). I will give that a go although I'm slightly wary of performing a fresh install as I upgraded when Win 10 was free so don't have an activation code that I can find. Or, if I install over the top of the current, keeping all settings and files, will it remember it was an activated version?

Guru
Views: 5,817
Message 4 of 6

You don't need any activation key. M$ stores information about activated devices on their servers. Just connect to the Internet after installation and OS will activate just fine.

------
upinsmoke
Paper Tape
Views: 5,803
Message 5 of 6

Bios update and fresh OS install from USB seems to have done the trick. Allowed me to remove a few unneeded partitions and reclaim some space on the ssd as well. I found a programme to extract the current key as well. Thanks for the help

Twin2
Paper Tape
Views: 5,537
Message 6 of 6

Can you detail the steps you took to resolve this issue?  I am experiencing everything described in your original post, and tried everything you did up to what resolved it for you.  Thank you in advance!   

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors