Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
miltk2
SCSI Port
Views: 3,371
Message 1 of 6

E73 - what type of graphics card do i need

i'm thinking of getting a mini tower  - Lenovo Thinkcentre E73 10AU00EUUS Desktop.

so i need a low profile card but i am not familiar with these types of cards.

would this work for me  http://www.evga.com/Products/Product.aspx?pn=02G-P3-2717-KR

or what choice if not that   http://www.evga.com/Products/ProductList.aspx?type=0

thanks. i need a dual monitor support

milt

Mod's Edit: System model added to front of Subject line to improve visibility / clarity.

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 3,361
Message 2 of 6

Re: what type of graphics card do i need

That model number is for a SFF (Small Form Factor) system, but you're correct that it needs a low-profile card.  

And just to clarify, the system as is has dual monitor capability (VGA and DisplayPort), are you looking for something in particular with a graphics card? 

I do not work for Lenovo. I do not respond to Private Messages for help, your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where the information exchange may help others. If I helped you, click the 'Kudos' button, if solved, the 'Accept as Solution'.
miltk2
SCSI Port
Views: 3,332
Message 3 of 6

i've always been partial to evga's nvidia cards and i can get one for <$50. i also like the nvidia ui.

i will try what's available however, but i'll need a dvi > display port.

thx

SeniorGuru
Views: 3,323
Message 4 of 6

@miltk2 wrote:

i'm thinking of getting a mini tower  - Lenovo Thinkcentre E73 10AU00EUUS Desktop.

so i need a low profile card but i am not familiar with these types of cards.

would this work for me  http://www.evga.com/Products/Product.aspx?pn=02G-P3-2717-KR

As BiggAl says, that model is actually referred to as "small form factor SFF", although I do see that B&H is selling it with a description of "small tower" which is kind of ambiguous.  Anway, it absolutely is a SFF case and absolutely does require a low-profile card.  And this card must also be a low-power consumer, given the small PSU used in the E73 SFF machine.

I'm confused by the EVGA card you pointed to, since it looks to be not a low-profile card.  It has two DVI connectors as well as mini-HDMI and from its dimensions (around 4.5") is not a low-profile bracket.  Perhaps you thought it would be usable because you thought you had something named a "mini-tower" Lenovo case (actually referred to as "mid-tower" as contrasted with "small form factor SFF), which could have accepted this full-size bracket card.

Anyway, if that is the correct model E73 you're looking at, you need a low-profile card, not the one you pointed to.

In the low-profile low-power arena your choices are fairly limited.  They're all more than $50, but not too much more.  Both of the following low-profile low-power cards come with both full-size and low-profile brackets making them usable in any size machine case, mid-tower or SFF:

(a) Sapphire 11215-06-20G low-profile 1GB DDR5 AMD R7-250 at $101.  DVI, miniDP, microHDMI, single-slot wide.

(b) Gigabyte GV-N750OC-2GL low-profile 2GB DDR5 nVidia GTX 750ti OC at $120.  DVI, DP, 2xHDMI, dual-slot wide

The nVidia GTX card is the clearly superior performer over the AMD card, and the tiny extra price is well worth it. That Gigabyte product is definitely the one I would recommend.

miltk2
SCSI Port
Views: 3,302
Message 5 of 6

how  about this one... http://www.evga.com/Products/Product.aspx?pn=02G-P3-2713-KR

the minimum power requirements is less than the gigabyte, and the "power draw", if it is what it sounds like, is 25watts

SeniorGuru
Views: 3,297
Message 6 of 6

Yes, that one would "work" as well.  But without knowing your real performance requirements we're just discussing whether or not it would technically work or not.  So yes, it would "technically work".

But it uses DDR3 memory instead of DDR5, and its bandwidth is rated at 14.4GB/s.  That's very very weak performance compared to the other cards I mentioned.  It will still "work", but...

That's compared to 74Gb/s bandwidth on the least card I listed, that Sapphire 1GB DDR5 AMD R7-250, which is $100.  And the Gigabyte 2GB DDR5 GTX 750ti OC has a bandwidth of about 84GB/s, and it costs $120.

There are several old DDR3 low-profile cards, 1GB and 2GB, that are very inexpensive (e.g. $40).  Like the Silence HD6450 which doesn't have a fan and is 100% silent. Also uses around 25W of power, but has a bandwidth of about 9GB/s which is really dreadful.

These will also "work" in your machine .  But they're 5x or 6x "slower" than these newer DDR5 cards.  So you're getting 5-6x the performance for 2-3 times the price if you go with a newer DDR5 card.  We're not talking thousands of dollars here.  We're talking around $50 vs. around $100, for 5-6x the performance gain.

It's up to you.  If $50 is your budget then you've now got the list to choose from.  For myself, I can't see putting anything less than that ATI 1GB DDR5 R7-250 ($100) in any modern machine for just another $50, no matter what your needs are.  I feel its performance to be the "minimum acceptable level" for a general purpose graphics card.

You've got my thoughts now.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors