Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Poei
Paper Tape
Views: 4,613
Message 1 of 8

Edge 71, Sandy Bridge, shut down issue with Win 10 install

Here too, same problem.

One Thinkcentre 71 Sff works well after updating to Windows 10.

The other Thinkcentre 71 Sff upgraded to Windows 10, created an installation disk using Microsoft's Media Creation tool and reinstalled Windows 10 on a new 2Tb harddrive. That computer has the problem, it doesn't completely shut itself off. Power button is constantly blinking.

Since one computer is working good, it seems to me it is a driver issue.   ***And yes, the bios is fully updated ****

It will be nice if an expert from Lenovo looks into this matter. I'm more than willing to help with testing and or screenshots.

Mod:   edited title for clarity, and split from Win 7 thread

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 4,604
Message 2 of 8

Re: Lenovo thinkcentre edge 71 freeze on shutdown(clean windows 7 install)

@Poei wrote:

The other Thinkcentre 71 Sff upgraded to Windows 10, created an installation disk using Microsoft's Media Creation tool and reinstalled Windows 10 on a new 2Tb harddrive. That computer has the problem, it doesn't completely shut itself off. Power button is constantly blinking.

Since one computer is working good, it seems to me it is a driver issue.   ***And yes, the bios is fully updated ****

I have seen power-off and sleep-wake issues when the Intel processor and chipset are not supported for Windows 10.   You can check that here:  

Intel® Processor Support for Microsoft Windows® 10

I do not work for Lenovo. I do not respond to Private Messages for help, your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where the information exchange may help others. If I helped you, click the 'Kudos' button, if solved, the 'Accept as Solution'.
Poei
Paper Tape
Views: 4,583
Message 3 of 8

Thanks BiggAl for your quick reply.

It seems that the processor is supported for W10.
Need to look at the chipset tomorrow, but I read there will be a big update in July for Win 10, hope it solves some issues.
I ran the windows 7 recovery disks and updated the system to windows 10. The computer shuts of good now.

(But it creates additional not to move partitions, like 450Mb healthy recovery, so i can't install Ubuntu yet.) I can wait till the update in July, maybe it will be solved by then.
Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 4,592
Message 4 of 8

Perhaps I'm misunderstanding the system you have, when I checked the specs, it looked pre-Win 10 support.   Can you give me the Lenovo 4-digit model number?   And the Intel processor model.   Thx,  Al. 

I do not work for Lenovo. I do not respond to Private Messages for help, your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where the information exchange may help others. If I helped you, click the 'Kudos' button, if solved, the 'Accept as Solution'.
Poei
Paper Tape
Views: 4,579
Message 5 of 8

Both the pc's are  machine type 1578   and model number D7G.

The processor is:  Intel(R) Core(TM) i3-2120CPUCPU@3,30Ghz

This is the output from Intel's processor identification tool.

device manager said:  2nd generation Intel(R) Core(TM) processor family DRAM Controller - 0100   &

H61 Express chipset Family.

What means: Pre-Win10 support?   Is it fully supported or not?

Thinkcentre Edge 71 is not on the list of Win10 support, as far I can see. 

Just wonder why, and if there is a relation to that not shutting off issue.

Thanks for your help!

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 4,576
Message 6 of 8

@Poei wrote:

Both the pc's are  machine type 1578   and model number D7G.

The processor is:  Intel(R) Core(TM) i3-2120CPUCPU@3,30Ghz

This is the output from Intel's processor identification tool.

Thinkcentre Edge 71 is not on the list of Win10 support, as far I can see. 

Just wonder why, and if there is a relation to that not shutting off issue.

That Intel processor is part of the 'Sandy Bridge' family, the generation prior to Window 10 support.   So the processor, the graphics processor, and the chipset do not and will not have Windows 10 drivers.   

People have tried, with various degrees of success, to use the latest Windows 8 drivers with the Win 10 install.    If it all works, great, but if not (like your shut-down issue), there's no way to fix it.    And you're correct, Edge 71 is not on the list of Lenovo systems that support Win 10, for this reason. 

MJacksonL
Paper Tape
Views: 4,537
Message 7 of 8

same problem here.

installed the most updated bios and drivers from lenovo, none of them helped.

still no solution for this case?

Poei
Paper Tape
Views: 4,495
Message 8 of 8

For what it is worth:

I reinstalled the computer with the original boot dvd's. (windows 7 pro)

After that I updated the pc to Windows 10, and then I didn't get this shut off problem anymore.

(it looks like as if it keeps its working windows 7 drivers)

Installing Windows 10 from any other dvd, causes this shut off problem.

On the end I changed the 500Gb drive, for a 2Tb drive  Smiley Happy

Reinstalled Windows 7 with the original boot dvd's, used a program called 'Windows Loader'  to change the

Windows registration code. Thanks to Slic-2.1 bios  ;-)    (if you don't do that, windows 7 will be automatically updated to windows 10)

Then shrinked the windows partition and put Ubuntu 16.04 LTS on it, dual boot, with one shared NTFS partition.

Ubuntu runs very well on this machine so far!  ;-)

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors