Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
watermullon
Blue Screen Again
Views: 3,947
Message 1 of 4

Edge 72 won't boot, fan runs then shuts down, and repeats every 6s

Hi. I have a thinkcentre edge 72, 

Intel Core i5-3330s 3.20 GHz - Intel H61 - 4GB DDR3 - 1TB HDD - DVD/RW - Windows 7 Pro 64Bit

One day on startup (from power button) it just ran the fans for a 1 second, and then shut down, then the fans ran again after about 4 seconds for 1 second again and shut down, and repeats.

I took the thing apart, fiddled with connections, removed the ram and put it back in, then did the paperclip test on the powersupply.  The powersupply was giving out the required voltages on yellow, orange and red etc.  Powersupply fan runs.  Seams the powersupply is ok.

tried removing almost everything from the motherboard - DVD, harddisk, fans, power button (shorted the startup from the connection on the motherboard).

Seems to me either the RAM is no good, or the motherboard has a problem.  I don't have any suitable extra ram, so can't test that.

I guess before I go out and buy a new motherboard has ANYBODY ANYWHERE had this problem with a Lenovo ?   

Can Lenovo experts indicated what they think this might be ?

If Not, how can I get my hands on a replacement motherboard? I'd rather not change/upgrade as I don't want to have to reinstall windows 7 or risk data loss.  

thanks!

Guy

Mod:  edited title to clarify problem description

tobetida
Paper Tape
Views: 3,894
Message 2 of 4

Re: thinkcentre edge 72 won't boot up. fan runs then shuts down and repeats every 6s

I see no other replies to this...

I had somewhat similar problem, 3 days ago: I had Windows7 in "sleep"; when I pressed Power button, only got auxiliary fan full on until I pulled the power plug. Any subsequent reattachment of power resulted only in auxiliary fan full on.  An other forum entry's response led me to replace the CMOS battery. Problem fixed.

kwemple
Paper Tape
Views: 3,146
Message 3 of 4

Re: thinkcentre edge 72 won't boot up. fan runs then shuts down and repeats every 6s

Did you ever resolve this issue?

hotair1983
Paper Tape
Views: 645
Message 4 of 4

Re: Edge 72 won't boot, fan runs then shuts down, and repeats every 6s

Objawy wskazują na uszkodzenie kondensatora C902 47uF 50V w zasilaczu MODEL: HKF1502-3B REV:A01 .
Po wymianie kondensatora na nowy komputer działa prawidłowo o ile nie ma innych uszkodzeń.

Naprawę należy zlecić serwisowi RTV  o ile sami się na tym nie znamy.

zas1.jpgzas2.jpg

Symptoms indicate damage to the C902 47uF 50V capacitor in the MODEL power supply: HKF1502-3B REV: A01.
After replacing the capacitor with a new computer, it works properly as long as there are no other damages.

The repair should be ordered to the RTV service unless we know about it ourselves.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors