Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
runev
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 91,955
Message 1 of 10

Fail to boot (short-short-short-long beep code) after M92p BIOS Update

Hi, 

I recently updated my BIOS to the latest version using the System Update tool from Lenovo. For a while everything seemed to be working alright, as the BIOS was dowloaded and the computer rebooted. After rebooting the first time i was presented with the BIOS utility, and noticed that the update was progressing. 

After 20 or so seconds the computer rebooted again. This is where my problems began. The computer immediately started beeping this short-short-short-long melody from the speakers. I thought this was normal, so I left the computer on for quite a while. 

However, the beeping never stopped. Now the beeping resumed the instant i plug the power back in. I have yet been able to actually getting any sort of information on-screen telling me what's wrong. 

I've tried following the "Recovering from a POST/BIOS update failure" on page 267 of the Hardware Maintenance Manual, but no luck with that so far. No matter where I place the jumper, the beeping code is the same short-short-short-long melody (yeah, it sounds like a disney tune or something).

Any bright ideas? The machine type is a M92p 2992-B3G

I'd hate to have to send it in for repairs, and Lenovo's Norwegian support line doesn't open until Monday, and there seems to be no way to call their 800-number in the states from here Smiley Sad

Oh, and would this be covered by my warranty if repairs / motherboard replacement is the only way out?

UPDATE #1:

I found this in the manual;

3 short beeps and then 1 long beep DRAM memory
error

Perform the following actions in order.
1. Make sure the memory module(s) are properly seated
in the connector(s).
2. Replace the memory module(s).
3. Replace the system board.

This is pretty much Lenovo's way of saying "You're screwed", isn't it?

UPDATE #2: 

I've now tried pretty much everything;

• The solution as proposed on page 267 in the Hardware Maintenance Manual
  • Unplugging all cables and harddrives before booting
  • Removing my PCIe video card and PCI Wireless NIC before booting
  • Removing all memory modules, and trying 1 and 1 module
  • Moved a memory module from another machine that I know is working

No luck so far. 

Ideas would be welcome at this point

syrious
Punch Card
Views: 91,608
Message 2 of 10

Re: Fail to boot (short-short-short-long beep code) after M92p BIOS Update

I just had the same issue after a bios update on an M91p

I unplugged the power and sata connections to the CD/HDD and powered up the PC.

After receiving the No OS found screen, I powered off the PC, reconnected everything and it powered up just fine afterward.

hope this helps!

runev
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 91,138
Message 3 of 10

I tried, but no luck for me I'm afraid. 

Did you get anything on the screen at all before unplugging your devices? 

Right now the screen is all black (imagine that you forgot to plug in the display cables - that kind of black) Smiley Sad

ingolf
Paper Tape
Views: 91,125
Message 4 of 10

Hi, I just ran into a similiar problem (BIOS update) with my 92z. But no beep codes - just nothing (black screen). Unfortunately I will have to wait until Monday to call the support (in Germany).
Regards, Ingolf.
runev
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 91,115
Message 5 of 10

There's no beep-codes in my case either.

Imagine forgetting to plug-in the display cable - it's that kind of black. 

Let me know what you find out Smiley Happy

ingolf
Paper Tape
Views: 91,057
Message 6 of 10

Hi runev:

My latest news: On Friday I got a visit from a Lenovo technican. He changed the system board and now everything works fine. Before that I had first a call to my dealer and then a call to the Lenovo support line who told me that I will get a system board replacement.

BTW - it took about 2 hours to do the replacement. Not the replacement itself but after replacement the same error appeared again. So the technican removed all connections cables, made some measurements and reconnected the cables again. Then it worked and the last task was to reassign the model and the serial numbers in the BIOS.

Regards, Ingolf.

infostic
What's DOS?
Views: 89,623
Message 7 of 10

I had the same. 3 shorts, 1 long beep. The memory module was not seated properly.

runev
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 89,490
Message 8 of 10

I'm glad to hear it's just a simple memory error, however the original problem in this post is a bit more than just a memory problem.

This became a problem after a BIOS update, so somewhere along the way one of Lenovo's developer screwed up badly, and it's been bugging me ever since. There's absolutely no way for me to use any PCI-e card with my M92p. 

I've tried 6 different cards, 3-4 different memory module combinaties, with our without harddrives plugged in, and every thinkable combination of these.

No luck. Therefore, I simply conclude that Lenovo are dicks, and we all know what dicks enjoy doing; **bleep**ing people over.

I've given up on the issue, and I'll never buy a Lenovo again after this.

br0wnbear1958
What's DOS?
Views: 78,046
Message 9 of 10

We have the same issue that re-occurs on one machine, but it is caused by the envrionment it is in. It is in an office that is not insulated from our municipal pool and the corrosion is lethal on the computer equipment in that office not to mention the staff.

We find that we have to take the RAM out of the slot monthly and move it to an additional slot. All Cables and attachments look like they are rusting. This is after a year. We normally have to replace the components yearly.

Discipledm2
What's DOS?
Views: 2,001
Message 10 of 10

Same issues, 3 shorts 1 long... Windows 10 in the M82 box. Just got a flash bios update then rebooted twice to this error. After moving ram modules around I discovered that the 2nd channel in the dual channel of the mother board (4 slots dual channeled ram) is no longer working. If I take ram out of the 2nd channel and boot only with ram in channel 1, then it boots just fine. My difficulty is that it means now I am down to 8 gigs on a video editing machine. If they do NOT have a fix for Windows 10 (I have seen they have a fix for Windows 7 and 8) then this box has just become useless to me.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors