Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Fanfold Paper
Message 1 of 18 (5,682 Views)

First Monitor with DVI-Displayport keeps losing signal (Geforce 310) (M90p)

Hi there. I am working with two monitors. The first is a ViewSonic VX2250wm LED monitor, connected to the desktop (Lenovo ThinkCentre M90p) via a

DVI
(in monitor) to Displayport (Desktop) cable. The card is an Nvidia Geforce 310.

The second monitor is VGA.

Every so often, the ViewSonic's signal goes out. At first I thought it was the DVI/
Displayport
adaptor, but upon getting a new cable the problem persisted. I then assumed it was the latest Nvidia driver update, so I rolled back. The monitor's signal returned for a few days, but then eventually lost its signal again.

This process repeats every time I install an older driver: the monitor comes back, but eventually dies. I am trying to figure out what is the cause of this problem. AFAIK it cannot be the Displayport as the Geforce is compatible. I have concluded it must be the ViewSonic monitor.

Any help as to what may cause this loss of signal would be appreciated. I have a feeling it might be because I have not used an 'active' adapter and only have used passive ones. 
I just wish this information wasn't so vague and hard to find.  Displayport hasn't really taken off that well, has it? 
Topics: 3
Kudos: 81
Solutions: 65
Message 2 of 18 (5,638 Views)

Re: First Monitor with DVI-Displayport keeps losing signal (Geforce 310) (M90p)

Kindly set the display resolution to  1366*768 and set the Nvidia display to multiple display.

Best Regards,

Tanuj

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution".! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Follow @LenovoForums on Twitter!

Fanfold Paper
Message 3 of 18 (5,615 Views)

The native resolution is 1920x 1080 for the Viewsonic and 1280x 1024 for the Dell E196FP. Is this really the only solution?

Retired Employee
Message 4 of 18 (5,601 Views)

Hi CortesDiddy,

There is possibility that you may want to check if you the drivers for the monitor installed. There are times whereby the graphocs card will require all display drivers to be installed in order to function accurate. I suggest to give that a try and see how it goes.

Do let me know on the update.

regards

Highlighted
Fanfold Paper
Message 5 of 18 (5,584 Views)

[ Edited ]

The Viewsonic drivers are current. I also turned off sleep settings in Win7, updated the Lenovo BIOS and Nvidida drivers as well. Note that is only a problem with the DVI-Displayport Monitor; the second VGA monitor has never lost its signal. 

I am increasingly thinking that the problem is the monitor, but then I find things like these on this site:

http://support.lenovo.com/en_US/detail.page?LegacyDocID=SF11-D0012%20

and also wonder if it is due to the displayport for the GPU instead. But I still am not sure if that above problem is the same as mine, since I only lose the signal a while after the computer and display have been on, not after turning off the monitor.

Retired Employee
Message 6 of 18 (5,576 Views)

Hi CortesDiddy,

I checked out the fix, i think its worth giving it a shot as it is almost the same as what you are are facing but only in a diffrent manor. At dispoint its a bit hard hard for me to determined what causes it. I had initally thought about what you said in regards to the display port of the GPU, but after verifying with the link you posted that may be the soluton there.

By the way may i know what exactly you did that possibly may trigger for the display to shut? Were you just surfing the net normally or were you working on a specific project that require high processing?  

Paper Tape
Message 7 of 18 (304 Views)

Having the same issue with Dual monitors.  I am using two 19" dual monitors and we have about 20 perople using a dual set up.  The computer we are connecting to is the M73.  I switch the primary to be VGA and then I switched the primary again to be Primiary.  Neither has worked the problem of not waking up follows the Display port where the monitor connected does not wake up.

I've looked into the bios.  However the is no option to change the Primany to the Display Port connection.

Thanks for your assistence

Community Moderator
Message 8 of 18 (252 Views)

I'm not clear on what the problem is, can you explain further.    Can you tell me what adapter you're using for DP?    Also, can you update a couple M73s to the latest BIOS see if the problem persists on those. 

Paper Tape
Message 9 of 18 (210 Views)

Lenovo M73 Tiny Computer

Netlink MP67 Computer

Dual 19" Widescreen Visio Monitors

Dual 17" Standard Visio Monitors

DP2VGAMM6B, 6ft, Display Port to VGA Adapter, by StarTech

We are using StarTechs DisplayPort to VGA direct cable.  The problem is very chronic.  I'm leaning to the problem being with the computer's ability to have more than one form of connection.   The M73 has a VGA port and a DisplayPort.  I've been communiticating with StarTech to see if they have been having any issue with their cable.

---------------------

Case A. You can be using the computer and the monitor with the (Display-Port to VGA) cable will just flicker off, if it is not the primary monitor.   In this case, all you have to do is adjust the screen resolution once and then set it back to where you want it and the secondary screen with the (Display-Port to VGA) cable will come back on.

Case B. If the (Display-Port to VGA) cable is on the primary monitor, then as a person attempts to use it for the first time the monitor with the (Display-Port to VGA) cable will not come on.  To get it come back on, you have to disconnect the (Display-Port to VGA) cable at the Display Port side, shut the computer down, log back on, and then while in your profile reconnect the (Display-Port to VGA) cable so the computer can find it again.

Case C. I even switch the (Display-Port to VGA) cable usage between the monitors.  I came back another day and the  person had the same problem and the problem followed the (Display-Port to VGA) cable.

Case D. A problem occurred where the person could not log on to either screen.  The condition was that one screen with the (VGA to VGA) was only showing the mouse and the other screen with the (Display-Port to VGA) cable was totally black.   She was unable to log in.  I had to shut the computer off with a hard reboot.  I unplugged the (Display-Port to VGA) cable at the Display-Port side in the computer.  Then I logged in and was able to see the screen to log in.  Then I reconnected her computer at the (Display-Port to VGA) cable and she was able to see both monitors.

Case E. We do have a dual monitor with a separate computer the Netlink MP67 Computer.  They have had problems, but however we can not see the problem that we are having with the Lenovo computer where the monitor with the (Display-Port to VGA) cable connection is turning off.  This person had the secondary screen go grey, and it did not have the (Display-Port to VGA) cable attached.

------------------------

We have set up a test station for two weeks and just allow it to run, but with very little interaction on the dual monitor workstation, both monitors stayed up.  This was with two monitors that was used on a person's workstation that had been going down frequently. The test station was used with a Lenovo M73 Tiny.  This test only rule out the monitors being the problem.

---------------------------

Steps taken to resolve issue

--------------------------- 

1) We changed out the cable to a different new cable.

(Still, the screen using the display-port cable went out)

2) We have change the power setting to "disable" for USB suspend in advance power.

3) We have remove the check in properties, in device manager for USB devices, for all Universal Serial Bus Controllers.

4) We change the display port cable be with the primary screen instead of the secondary screen

5) We have adjusted the screen resolution with the recommended resolution.

(The screen comes back on, but the screen using the display-port cable still went out)

This note will also go to StarTech to keep them informed on our progress.

Community Moderator
Message 10 of 18 (205 Views)

[ Edited ]

What is the version and date of the M73 Tiny BIOS, and the graphics driver?    What is the OS?  32 or 64-bit?   Are all the systems the same?   Any non-Tinys?   Do you have any DP to VGA adapters other than the StarTech direct cable?   Is there a reason why you went with VGA?  Can you try a DP to DVI adapter on one system?  

Thx, Alan. 

top kudoed authors