Paper Tape
Views: 895
Message 1 of 18

Flash BIOS did not install: ThinkCentre M900

Think Center M900

Product         10FDCTO1WW

OS                  Win10 64bit

BIOS              FWKT7CA

In the past I've successfully used the automatic BIOS updates.

Since the late December updates have failed - even with manual download.

Screen shots show 1. installation history and 2. failed to install message.

I've tried updates multiple times and followed the instructions on the support pages.

Hints please?

Thanks

Flash BIOS did not install.PNGFailed to update screenSystem installation history.PNGInstallation history

allanmiller
Paper Tape
Views: 838
Message 2 of 18

Re: Flash BIOS did not install: ThinkCentre M900

I have the same problem with the same type of machine - M900 Product 10FDCTO1WW with Win 10 Pro bought in November 2016. My current BIOS is FWKT63A.

Having had several failed auto attempts to install the latest BIOS I downloaded it and tried the Admin command prompt approach which failed with a return code of 40000008h as below.

Capture.JPG

Any thoughts would be welcome.

HA65
Paper Tape
Views: 799
Message 3 of 18

Thanks, allanmiller.

I tried this approach too - and just repeated it.
I get an identical screen to yours above.

What next? Maybe I make time and use CD/USB option.
allanmiller
Paper Tape
Views: 781
Message 4 of 18

I tried that but couldn't persuade either of the freeware programs I tried (Rufus and ISO to USB) to program a USB stick from the downloaded ISO. I'd be interested to know if you succeed!

HA65
Paper Tape
Views: 744
Message 5 of 18

Hi allanmiller

I tried "Rufu"s, alas without success.

It reports "No image selected" at bottom left of dialog (below) when I have selected it.

The Log file eports image does not have an x86 Master Boot Record as well as invalid directory buffer size.

Something isn't right, but I can't see what.

I tried burning a bootable CD using Cyberlink Power2Go and setting CD drive to top of the list in BIOS.

Again, no success - despite hours of reading and trying on both routes.

I even tried the ThinkVantage tool again - with the same result.

A DOS box flashes on screen as it fails, but there is no time to read it.

I'm stuck for now!

On the other hand, my T470 made it's updates without trouble. :-)

I'm sorry this doesn't help.

HA65

Rufus iso to usb image-2.PNG

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 737
Message 6 of 18

If you have concerns that this is due to install process issue with the latest version of the BIOS.  Be aware that at the very bottom of the BIOS page for your system is the prior version of the BIOS.  You can test to see if that version installs cleanly. 

allanmiller
Paper Tape
Views: 723
Message 7 of 18

Sorry to be dim but what do you mean by "the BIOS page for your system"?
SeniorGuru
Views: 714
Message 8 of 18

You said you have an M900 10FD machine, running Win10 x64.  So THIS is the main page for Lenovo Support, for all of the drivers and software for that machine.  Be sure that the "Operating System" up in the top-left area just under the title is selected to "Windows 10 (64-bit)".  I'm sure that's where you got the latest BIOS file from.

M900-support.jpg

Then, if you scroll down a bit to the "BIOS/UEFI(1)" item and click on icon to the left of that title to expand it, you see that the latest BIOS is FWKT86A dated Jan 2, 2018.  This is the "(1)" item referred to in the title of the category.

M900-BIOS.jpg

In the "Details" column (over on the right side of the line) there is a "piece of paper" icon to click on for more information, and if you click on it you will get the detailed page for this BIOS item, with download links for the various different versions of the FWKT86A BIOS installer as well as the related README for that particular installer.

M900-BIOS-downloads.jpg

And, if you scroll this "details" page all the way down to the bottom, you will see a matrix of additional links, to the various forms of the previously available version FWKT7FA of the BIOS (EXE, README, ISO, etc.).

M900-BIOS-previous-version.jpg

BiggAl is suggesting that if there is indeed something internally wrong with the ISO for FWKT86A (which RUFUS complained about when trying unsuccessfully to write it to create a bootable USB flash drive), then maybe the ISO for the prior version FWKT7FA of the BIOS is valid (and CAN be used by RUFUS to build a bootable USB, or burned to create bootable CD as intended)) will actually work.

He's suggesting you at least try to work with the previous BIOS installer file, to be sure that it DOES work successfully.  This would then confirm that there truly is something physically internally wrong with the download ISO for FWKT86A, that Lenovo should be notified about.

SeniorGuru
Views: 711
Message 9 of 18

I have performed my own experiments, using RUFUS 2.18 as you've done, working with both the current and previous versions of the ISO file on the Lenovo page for your M9100 10FD BIOS.  It appears RUFUS is not happy with the format of these files. Produced "no image" message at the bottom of the RUFUS window.

I also tried it with the ISO files for my Thinkpad P70 BIOS, and again it was unhappy but apparently for a different reason and with a different error advice:

RUFUS_P70-BIOS.jpg

I then tried it on the ISO files related to assorted firmware updates for my assorted Samsung SSD devices, and for all of these it DID work and the ISO file name appeared on the bottom of the RUFUS window and I could indeed create the bootable USB flash drive from this CD ISO file.  No problem with these Samsung firmware ISO files.

I also tried it with the ISO file for MiniTool Partition Wizard "boot media builder", which supports booting Partition Wizard from CD.  Once again, the format of this ISO was acceptable to RUFUS, its file name appeared at the bottom of the RUFUS window, and I could create the bootable USB flash drive from this CD ISO file.  No problem.

So, apparently there is something genuinely unexpected about the particular format of the BIOS ISO files from Lenovo (for both your M900 and my P70, and probably for all machines) which is other than that expected by RUFUS.  They are simply unacceptable to create a bootable USB from, at least using RUFUS.

Plan B: instead of trying to use RUFUS to create bootable USB drives from these "problematic" Lenovo ISO files, you can use another similar free utility designed for this job: UNetbootin.

Download the "Windows version" and run it, same as you ran RUFUS.  Then check the "diskimage ISO" radio button and navigate to either of your two M900 BIOS ISO files (I'd just go with the current one first), select your Lexar USB drive as the target, and push the OK button.  I did this myself, and it worked perfectly.

UNetBootin-Lenovo-ISO.jpg

allanmiller
Paper Tape
Views: 674
Message 10 of 18

I'm grateful for this very clear explanation. I will certainly try it over the weekend.
Top Kudoed Authors