Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
carrierPigeon
Fanfold Paper
Views: 573
Message 1 of 2

Flashing the uefi/ bios Lenovo Thinkcentre M82

I am trying to update the Uefi/ bios for a Lenovo Thinkcentre M82.  I created a CD with the files and followed the instructions.  The instructions say to reboot the computer with the CD in the drive.  I do this.  However, the computer boots normally to Windows.

Since I have never flashed a UEFI/ bios before, I would like to understand a little more about what's actually involved.  Is part of the process to have a bootable CD and boot to it?  Or are we just using the files that are on the CD?

If I have to get into the uefi bios and initiate the process through a screen in there, I don't seem to be able to get in there, for some reason.  I tried F1, F2, F10, F12, and enter (each on separate boots).  I also tried to initiate the process through Windows (there is a choice "updated UEFI firmware").

Edit: specs on the computer

Thinkcentre M82 Az6
Machine type: 2929
IS7XM motherboard

Windows 8.1 pro

current bios revision date is 8/7/2002.

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 515
Message 2 of 2

Re: Flashing the uefi/ bios Lenovo Thinkcentre M82

@carrierPigeon wrote:

Is part of the process to have a bootable CD and boot to it?  Or are we just using the files that are on the CD?

If I have to get into the uefi bios and initiate the process through a screen in there, I don't seem to be able to get in there, for some reason.  I tried F1, F2, F10, F12, and enter (each on separate boots). 

Yes, it must be a bootable CD, so that it bypasses the OS.  You can test it on a different PC, it will boot into DOS but go no further, as it recognizes that it is not the correct computer for an update. 

If you are using a wireless keyboard, it may become active too late to break into the BIOS setup.  Use a standard (non-gaming) wired USB keyboard.  The optical drive must be ahead of the hard disk in the BIOS setup boot sequence for it to boot from the CD (this is the default.)

I do not work for Lenovo. I do not respond to Private Messages for help, your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where the information exchange may help others. If I helped you, click the 'Kudos' button, if solved, the 'Accept as Solution'.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors