Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Mac_Biodiesel
Paper Tape
Views: 4,451
Message 1 of 26

Graphics Card for M90P Tower?

I see similar questions for M9X models, but not M90P tower.  I have the M90P (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883798325).  

I installed the XFX R7 360 graphics card, but it didn't work.  I'm next going to try the XFX R7 250 Low Profile Ready card: (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150713)

My question is, how can I know what graphics cards will work with this machine?  It seems to have the necessary slots and space (it is barebones).  I also have a Corsair 750W PSU in there.  The BIOS is set to use PCIE first, and then PGP for priority order.

Thanks!

Mac_Biodiesel
Paper Tape
Views: 4,422
Message 2 of 26

Re: Graphics Card for M90P Tower?

Well, I installed the R7 250 today, and it fits just fine.  However, the computer will not boot up now.  It turns on, the fans spin, and there is nothing further.  It doesn't even get to the BIOS.

I checked the BIOS prior to installation, and confirmed that the priority order had PCI first.  I have tried another XFX card in the machine, too, with the exact same result, so I don't think I have a bad card.

Any thoughts on something I'm missing?

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 4,414
Message 3 of 26

BIOS support for AMD cards is poor: https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkCentre-A-E-M-S-Series/m90-gpu-upgrade-problem/m-p/2049715/highligh...

The Nvidia readme file has list of supported adapters.  (Ensure you're at the latest BIOS.)

I do not work for Lenovo. I do not respond to Private Messages for help, your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where the information exchange may help others. If I helped you, click the 'Kudos' button, if solved, the 'Accept as Solution'.
Mac_Biodiesel
Paper Tape
Views: 4,408
Message 4 of 26

Thanks, but which ReadMe file are you referring to?  Are you saying this will cause the computer to not even boot?

I did update the BIOS to the latest version - 5JKT65AUS, but that had no affect.  I also disabled the integrated graphics adapter via Device Manager. 

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 4,404
Message 5 of 26

Readme for the Nvidia driver referred to the linked thread.   Yes, if BIOS does not recognize the graphics card, it will not boot. 

I do not work for Lenovo. I do not respond to Private Messages for help, your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where the information exchange may help others. If I helped you, click the 'Kudos' button, if solved, the 'Accept as Solution'.
Mac_Biodiesel
Paper Tape
Views: 4,394
Message 6 of 26

Yeah, I had read through that thread, and share the other guy's surprise that the mobo bios wouldn't even allow to boot.

Could you please share the link where you saw the drivers supported by Lenovo BIOS? I'm willing to get an Nvidia card, but I'd like to make sure it will be compatible.
Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 4,389
Message 7 of 26

On the Lenovo support page for your system, under Display and Video drivers.

http://support.lenovo.com/us/en/products/desktops-and-all-in-ones/thinkcentre-m-series-desktops/thin...
Mac_Biodiesel
Paper Tape
Views: 4,383
Message 8 of 26

What confuses me is that I thought drivers would not affect the BIOS and boot process, just the display quality and effectiveness.

That readme seems to say it only supports up to the Nvidia 600 series, which is from 2012.

Now I'm wondering if I should install the drivers from the CD before I install the card, instead of after.
Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 4,378
Message 9 of 26

Win 8.1 readme says it supports the 700 series.

The point is: It wouldn't be possible for Lenovo to certify a driver for a card or series for this system, if it wasn't recognized by the BIOS.

I was in a similar situation with a M91p, and based on the supported cards listed in Lenovo's Nvidia driver readme for that system, selected a 750 Ti (be sure that it will physically fit), which works fine with the latest (WHQL certified) drivers from the Nvidia download site.  

Mac_Biodiesel
Paper Tape
Views: 4,368
Message 10 of 26

Ok, so since I'm running Windows 7, the best I can do is the Nvidia 600 series. And AMD is a lost cause.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals