Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

ThinkCentre DesktopsThinkCentre A, E, M, S Series
All Forum Topics
Options

2902 Posts

06-13-2013

United States of America

11455 Signins

63016 Page Views

• Views: 63016
  • Message 11 of 19

Re: Graphics Cards for M93P

2016-03-01, 8:32 AM

wrote:
I know that, and that's why I'm wondering which cards can run on the motherboard of the M93P, pretty obviously with a properly upgrade kit, I'm talking about a new and high performance PSU and a high end video card like the GTX 900 series, careless about the case I can upgrade it too.
I just want the know if the mother can support these cards

The Lenovo motherboard has a non-standard 14-pin connector for power from the PSU.  So if you're planning on transplanting the "innards" of the machine into a new case with a new PSU (that supplies 75W PCIe additional power cables, required by a new high-end graphics card), don't forget to also order the 24-to-14 pin PSU adapter.  This is not an expensive item at all, but is mandatory.

Options

25 Posts

02-24-2016

Mexico

30 Signins

273 Page Views

• Views: 273
  • Message 12 of 19

2016-03-02, 13:37 PM
Yes I was aware of the 14 pin main supply of the Lenovo motherboard and I looking for a 24-14 pins adapter.
So after all you are telling me, that Motherboard of the M93p is compatible with a high end GTX card?
I believe that the first PCI mother have is a PCIx16 connector dunno if is 2.0 or 3.0 and if this can be bad for this upgrade project.
Options

5803 Posts

01-01-2012

United States of America

8493 Signins

139198 Page Views

• Views: 139198
  • Message 13 of 19

2016-03-03, 17:27 PM

I'm not aware of anyone trying a 900 series in any model of ThinkCentre.   The BIOS has a white list for graphics cards that it will recognize, until someone tries a 900 series, no one knows whether they will work.   If you do try it, please let us know if it works or not. 

I'm pretty sure your Intel chipset supports PCIe 3.0.  

I do not work for Lenovo. I do not respond to Private Messages for help, your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where the information exchange may help others. If I helped you, click the 'Thumbs up' button, if solved, the 'Accept as solution'.
Options

25 Posts

02-24-2016

Mexico

30 Signins

273 Page Views

• Message 14 of 19

2016-03-05, 14:10 PM

Ok so I''m gonna install the GTX 970 card that's what aiming for, recently I encountered something that give me some hope, a driver for the motherboard for Nvidia Videocards, and then following the "supported hardware" there is the GTX 900 series: http://support.lenovo.com/mx/es/products/Desktops-and-all-in-ones/ThinkCentre-M-Series-desktops/ThinkCentre-M93p/downloads/DS104474

Hope it works or I'm gonna need to change the motherboard too, and at the end I'll just end with the cpu and ram, lol

Options

5803 Posts

01-01-2012

United States of America

8493 Signins

139198 Page Views

• Views: 139198
  • Message 15 of 19

2016-03-05, 14:45 PM

I hope it works for you.  Please post here what the result is, either way.  Thanks. 

I do not work for Lenovo. I do not respond to Private Messages for help, your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where the information exchange may help others. If I helped you, click the 'Thumbs up' button, if solved, the 'Accept as solution'.
Options

3 Posts

12-31-2015

Lancaster, PA

5 Signins

34 Page Views

• Views: 34
  • Message 16 of 19

2016-03-05, 17:13 PM

I'm not sure whether this will address your question, but I was generally underwhelmed with performance after installing the EVGA GeForce GTX 750Ti into my M93p system.  It struggles when rendering CAD images using SolidWorks eViewer application.  Further, even though the Windows Performance metrics say this machine should run cicrles around my old system ( Lenovo Thinkpad W520 ), the user experience is agonizing.  The M93p system reinforced the old adage that you get what you pay for.  If gaming was my primary objective, I'd definitely be looking at a different system from the motherboard up, one that is designed for gaming.  IMHO, the M93p is best suited for use in cubicle farms for basic computing tasks and nothing more.

Adding insult to injury is that my HP 2511x monitor returns to default display settings (very low brightness setting) with each system reboot.  I used this monitor with my W520 for several years without any such issue, so I am quite upset with the current additonal step needed to reboot my current system. 

Anyone interested in a slightly used EVGA GeForce GTX 750Ti card?

ADM

Options

2902 Posts

06-13-2013

United States of America

11455 Signins

63016 Page Views

• Message 17 of 19

2016-03-05, 21:05 PM

wrote:

I'm not sure whether this will address your question, but I was generally underwhelmed with performance after installing the EVGA GeForce GTX 750Ti into my M93p system.

Did you get the plain EVGA 750ti, or 750tiOC, or 750tiSC?  I don't know that it should make that much difference for your CAD application, but there are those two somewhat "supercharged" versions of the card.

But I'm honestly surprised this card isn't more "satisfying" to you in this non-gaming more business-like utilization.  I guess I can only compare it to the AMD HD8570 that I'd purchased in the first M93p tower machine that I bought from Lenovo, and the AMD R7-250 cards I've used in other SFF machines.  On this second M93p tower machine I decided to go with the EVGA 750ti SC card, which I'd also used as an upgrade in my own homebuilt ASUS P8Z77-V Pro motherboard "tower" HTPC (which I also used for work) where I'd previously been using an R7-250.

I actually had come through many AMD video cards on that HTPC over the years, the last one being an overclocked HD5870 (which required TWO 75W PCIe aux power connections) that generated heat and fan sound as part of its "high performance" role.  I finally decided that the additional cost for electrical usage, as well as the overall increase in interior heat which caused all of the multiple fans in the case to run in "over performing" mode and the resulting sound increase, well it just was something I decided finally that I wanted to reduce.

So my first video downgrade was to an R7-250 which I'd had good results with in other machines.  Well, turns out these other machines didn't need to display HDTV on one 1920x1200 monitor while doing other real work on a second 1920x1200 monitor (both through DVI), and the R7-250 was a bit disappointing.

That's when I upgraded to an EVGA 750ti SC, which was a good deal better than the R7-250.  Was it as good as the original HD5870? Honestly, no.  But was it "better than the R7-250 and perfectly acceptable"?  Yes.  And, it is virtually silent, ran cool, saved me over 100W running 24x7 in electricity, and is now my go-to video card for M93p tower machines (where it does not need 75W PCIe power and runs just fine with the 280W PSU).

Generally speaking, I feel the 750ti SC card to be a very good mid-range card.  But I'm not a gamer, nor do I run CAD, where it might be less impressive.  For my needs and for the needs of my "customers", it's really excellent and much better than other default or modest replacement options.  And it doesn't require a PSU upgrade.

Options

2902 Posts

06-13-2013

United States of America

11455 Signins

63016 Page Views

• Message 18 of 19

2016-03-05, 21:18 PM

wrote:

Adding insult to injury is that my HP 2511x monitor returns to default display settings (very low brightness setting) with each system reboot.  I used this monitor with my W520 for several years without any such issue, so I am quite upset with the current additonal step needed to reboot my current system. 

How do you have the monitor connected?  DVI or HDMI?

I can't imagine why the monitor would return to default display settings on each power-on of the M93p?  That certainly is odd, and obviously unexpected.  And understandably annoying for you.  Perhaps maybe if using HDMI where boot-time anomalies are not unheard of, but I wouldn't think it could happen using DVI.

I've never seen a symptom like one you describe, where somehow the power-on cycling from the PC and its video card causes some type of "reset to defaults" in a connected monitor.  Are you seeing this even in the VGA screen output from the BIOS during machine power-up, or only after Windows gets started?

Is the monitor also USB-connected to the PC, for some type of PC screen-software control (as there is with my Eizo monitors, via Eizo's Screenmanager Pro software)?  Otherwise I can't think of how the PC's power-on and resulting video card startup can cause the manually configured settings of a connected monitor to revert back to default.  Perhaps "power surge" to the monitor, triggering it to reset?  Definitely not right or expected or acceptable, I agree.

Options

25 Posts

02-24-2016

Mexico

30 Signins

273 Page Views

• Message 19 of 19

2016-03-06, 4:31 AM

Interesting what you say ADMead, well I don't think the M93P with the CPU Core i7 (which is mine) is just for "simple tasks" since I'm running some games in full graphics mode and some AAA games in mid-low or at lower resolutions just with the Intel 4600 incorporated graphics that I7 chipsets have.

The only doubt I have is which chipset the motherboard have and if the PCIx16 port is 3.0, aside from that technically a high end graphics card should work fine. Looking the motherboard it looks like a B-85 or H87 from Gigabyte or Asus:

4 UDIMM Slots

1 PCIx16

1 PCIx4

1 PCI EXPRESS

2 PCI

USB 3.0

The motherboard is just lacking on the internal audio which is standard, aside form that it looks like a good and decent motherboard with a tricky 14 pins main connector.

IDK to be honest, I think I will try using the adapter from 24 to 14 pins for the new PSU, install the video card and the  do some tests, if I notice some kind of struggle or bottle neck, then I will have to buy another motherboard polly some gaming like Pro Gamer or Gaming G3 ones, and then just keep the CPU, RAM and HDD, which i can use without problem.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms