Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
PetrSP7
Blue Screen Again
Views: 1,136
Message 1 of 12

HDMI sound out - E63z All-in-One (ThinkCentre) model 10E2004BMC

Hi, I have updated all the drivers available for the exact device (all are green marked when online inspected). But I am still not able to get HDMI sound working connected with the TV (HDMI cable is OK, same TV HDMI input). I can switch picture between displays, picture is OK, but the only sound I can get for external display is via headphone output ... In devices list I can still see internal speakers only, no chance to switch to the HDMI output. Latest W10 Pro installed. Not sure, if the device supported HDMI sound OUT ...

This is from the beginning, I have the device for two weeks only and it is new.

SeniorGuru
Views: 1,105
Message 2 of 12

Re: HDMI sound out - E63z All-in-One (ThinkCentre) model 10E2004BMC

Right off, I have no experience with the E63z.  So my potential help ability is based on other experiences.

As you've already indicated, the most typical reason for the TV speakers not receiving audio via HDMI is because you neglected to change the Audio Devices to pick the HDMI output method.  Hence audio is still for the internal PC speakers, which is not what you want. But you looked there and didn't see any choice indicating HDMI, so that's the "giant clue".

HDMI audio is actually handled as part of the video graphics driver.  For example with a discrete nVidia graphics card there is a checkbox to allow you to install the HDMI audio driver piece or not, along with the display graphics driver piece and other options.  If you didn't check that box for the HDMI audio drive option, you would not have the capability of sending audio out over HDMI, and this would explain why you don't see an HDMI output option in Audio Devices.

So, looking at what I can find for the E63z, it appears that the graphics is provided by what must be an i3 CPU (since you say you have HDMI-out).  Presumably, the Intel HD Graphics driver for Win10 for E63z is where the problem must lie, since it is this driver that is in charge of the HDMI port both for video as well as audio output.

PetrSP7
Blue Screen Again
Views: 1,091
Message 3 of 12

OK, thank you, I will try today or tomorrow (the device is not placed in my home ...). I am sure I have NOT checked any box during driver installation ...
PetrSP7
Blue Screen Again
Views: 1,073
Message 4 of 12

Trying to intall, system says "newer driver already installed" ... So what to do?

SeniorGuru
Views: 1,061
Message 5 of 12

I apologize for not having any real-world experience with the E63z AIO machine.  In fact I have never actually worked with any AIO machine.

Also, I don't run any of my machines using built-in Intel HD graphics.  Instead I have separate discrete graphics cards or chips in every machine I've ever worked on, both laptops and desktops.  So I don't have any firsthand experience with how the Intel HD Graphics GPU works, regarding its Displayport and HDMI outputs, and why it would not also support digital audio out of DP/HDMI since without audio these ports are clearly not terribly useful.

That said, I can only provide samples of how things work for me when I connected my Lenovo W530 laptop running Win7 to my kitchen Samsung HDTV, using a miniDP->HDMI cable (which provides both audio and video over it to the TV, same as an HDMI->HDMI does).  My W530 has built-in Intel HD Graphics but also has nVidia K1000m discrete graphics GPU chip, and I have the BIOS set to "discrete graphics only" which effectively eliminates the Intel graphics from my machine.  So this story from me involves only nVidia graphics, and does not mention Intel HD Graphics as is your story with the E63z AIO.

Nevertheless, I happened to have occasion today to install the latest nVidia retail graphics driver.  So I had to go through this driver install/cusomization dialog which I mentioned previously, that offers a choice of YES/NO installing the additional (and optional) HDMI Audio driver as well as the HDMI Video driver.  This would only be needed if you were say planning on using the TV's speakers for sound, rather than feeding sound to some external multi-channel surround sound system or maybe just using the laptop speakers for sound along with using the TV screen for video-only.

Anyway, with the nvidia driver install there is absolutely an offering for checkboxes regarding the various optional items (aside from the display driver) that you may or may not choose to also install.

Nvidia-01-driver-install.jpg

Nvidia-02-custom-feature-choice.jpg

Once the driver is installed, and I connected the W530 to the Samsung HDTV with that cable, the option to use the Samsung's speakers as the Windows default audio output device will appear in the "Playback Devices" (selected from the right-click popup menu down in the system tray notification area).  Note that there also are other nVidia HDMI audio choices (not ready at the moment) from earlier instances where I had an external monitor connected to my W530 through DP->DP cables, which also delivers both audio and video under the control of the nVidia graphics driver (i.e. the nVidia HDMI audio driver I selected) which manages the miniDP video connector in my W530.

Nvidia-03_Samsung-HDTV-connected.jpg

And finally, I point out that in Windows Device Manager, if you actually do have a properly installed HDMI audio driver, it will show up in the "Sound" category along with ordinary Realtek audio driver which controls the local speakers (either the laptop speakers as in my case, or speakers connected to the lime green "speaker" port on your desktop or AIO machine.

Nvidia-04_Device-manager-sound.jpg

PetrSP7
Blue Screen Again
Views: 1,046
Message 6 of 12

I understand, NVIDIA driver maybe, but dedicated MS driver has no such option/s, when installed ... I have anothed 2 PCs and both HDMI picture and sound are OK from the beginning ... :-/ There is no chance to ask directly Lenovo regarding the axact version.

PetrSP7
Blue Screen Again
Views: 1,032
Message 7 of 12

On Sunday I reinstalled sound driver Conexant SmartAudio HD. Now I can see TV Samsung in the device list, BUT again no sound on TV, even if green scale right to the TV icon shows sound levels ... In addition, there is no sound option in Intel menu, see attached ...Snímek obrazovky (3).pngSnímek obrazovky (4).pngSnímek obrazovky (5).png

SeniorGuru
Views: 1,023
Message 8 of 12

Have you used this HDTV with this HDMI cable to work (i.e. produce both sound and video) in some other situation?

I believe the Conexant SmartAudio HD audio is unrelated to the HDMI audio support driver that is part of the Intel HD Graphics driver.  The Conexant SmartAudio driver would support internal speakers in the E63z AIO itself, much as Realtek HD Audio drivers to if there were a Realtek chip in your PC.

Again, it is the Intel HD Graphics driver package which supports both audio and video delivered out the HDMI port to a connected display device (like an HDTV) which has speakers and can accept a digital audio/video feed via HDMI cable.

The fact that you see the green vertical audio level operating correctly on the Intel Display Audio item on Playback Devices is good eveicence that actually everything is seemingly installed properly and working properly with the Intel HD Audio Graphics driver supporting audio as well as video.  It's almost as if the Samsung TV itself is somehow not producing sound even though it is technically being sent sound.

What model Samsung TV are you using?  Are there any optional settings for audio, like BlueTooth instead of HDMI?  Or anything at all that might suppress putting out sound through its speakers?

I have a 32" Samsung J6300 HDTV (which is the one I used to connect to my W530 laptop for the earlier screeshhots, while I was installing the latest nVidia graphics drivers).  I am going to experiment by setting my W530 BIOS to disable the nVidia K1000m graphics and instead use only the built-in Intel HD Graphics.  The W530 supports "Optimus mode" which is a combination of both Intel and nVidia (to save battery), but you can also set it to 100% use nVidia-only (which is how I normally run, so-called "discrete graphics") or 100% Intel-only (which is normally never how I run, so-called "internal graphics").

Ordinarily the miniDP port on the W530 is for an external monitor that would be 100% controlled by the nVidia discrete graphics GPU, even in Optimus mode when both Intel and nVidia are working cooperatively.  I've never tried to connect an external monitor to the miniDP port when the Intel HD Graphics GPU was 100% in charge, but presumably this would mimic what you're trying to do with with your E63z that only has Intel graphics.  Note that my W530 has Realtek HD Audio and not Conexant SmartAudio HD as apparently your E63z does, but that's irrelevant since we're not sending sound to the laptop/AIO speakers.  We are trying to send sound out to the external HDTV via its HDMI connection (coming from miniDP port in my case).

I will see if I can get sound and video from my external Samsung J6300 (using miniDP->HDMI cable) when I'm in 100% internal graphics Intel mode.  I haven't had Intel HD Graphics active for a long time, so I'll be sure to install the latest current Intel driver from Lenovo for my W530 first.

More later.

PetrSP7
Blue Screen Again
Views: 1,006
Message 9 of 12

Regarding Samsung TV and HDMI cable: YES, it worked for me for a long time, both video and audio (if this option was set on SG Note II) when connected to Galaxy Note II Smart Dock (EDD-S20EWEGSTD). Playing FHD movies ... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SYrZglX1bsA But better sound was from dock 3,5 mm output (I am using active Kurzweil speakers KS-40A) ...

SeniorGuru
Views: 1,000
Message 10 of 12

Well, I tried using "integrated graphics" (i.e. Intel-only) on my W530 last night, connecting the Samsung TV to the miniDP port on the laptop as I'd done previously when using "discrete graphics" (i.e. nVidia-only).  I was unsure whether this was possible or not, and if the Intel graphics could even control an external display or whether it was limited to control of only the laptop screen.

I also tried to install the latest Lenovo Intel/Vidia Optimus graphics driver package for the W530, but it seemed to be unsuccessful.  I suspect I probably should have placed the laptop in "Optimus mode" first (i.e. both Intel and nVidia GPUs active) so that the two driver installers could both have found the hardware they needed.  As it was, with "integrated graphics" the nVidia hardware appears not to even exist, so maybe the whole driver package installer just quit.  I didn't get any messages but the Intel driver is still from 2012.

Turns out with "integrated graphics" and this old 2012 Intel driver multiple displays are not supported.  Only the laptop screen is possible. But if I use "Optimus mode" and activate the nVidia GPU, then I am certain the externally connected display will be using the nVidia GPU, not the Intel GPU as I'm trying to experiment with.

I should give this one more shot, to try and simulate your E63z situation. I should go to Optimus mode to get the ability to install the latest Optimus Intel/nVidia driver package, so that the Intel portion is for sure updated.  Then I should go back to "integrated graphics" and try the TV connected via the miniDP port again, so see if the current Intel driver now supports multiple displays or not.   But it looks like the old HD 4600 Intel graphics in the old CPU in the W530 simply may not support external devices, and certainly not external audio/video via miniDP->HDMI.  That means I can't actually duplicate your E63z situation.

Sorry.  I think I'm out of ideas.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors