Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
frustration
What's DOS?
Views: 1,275
Message 1 of 5

HELP! Broadcom Gigabit onboard ethernet adapter - M51

For some bizzare reason my onboard network adapter just stopped working midway through using my M51!

It's showing in device manager with the yellow triangle and when I look at the properties it's giving a message "windows failed to load this driver - error code 31"

I've tried updating drivers, tried looking on Microsoft TechNet, but can't fix it!

WHAT CAN I DO!  SOMEONE PLEASE HELP. 

jabliese
Paper Tape
Views: 1,240
Message 2 of 5

Re: HELP! Broadcom Gigabit onboard ethernet adapter - M51

Tried uninstalling the adapter, and reinstalling?  Best done from Windows safe mode.  If Windows asks if you would like to delete all the associated files, when you are uninstalling, click yes.  Reboot, and Windows will hopefully detect new hardware.  If you have updated drivers lying around, try using those first.

If that does not work, check the Bios to see if the ethernet adapter is enabled.

tspurgeo
Punch Card
Views: 1,161
Message 3 of 5

Are you running Windows 7, Vista, XP? In Win 7 I noticed that if I used the Windows updates for my Broadcom adaptor it didn't work anymore. I just rolled back the driver and everything worked fine again.

frustration
What's DOS?
Views: 1,145
Message 4 of 5

Thanks everyone, problem solved.

The cure was as bizarre as the problem:

I installed a PCI NIC (3com) and Windows Vista installed the drivers without any problem, then I ran a "rescan for hardware changes" through device manager and it picked up an "unknown" device, so I pointed it in the right direction of the broadcom drivers and it installed OK.

Just then had to uninstall the 3com card and everything is hunky dory.

Smiley Very Happy

frustration
What's DOS?
Views: 1,140
Message 5 of 5

Thanks, but already tried all of that.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors