Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
sero
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,743
Message 1 of 10

Has anyone had any success getting new AMD cards to work with the ThinkCentre M83/M93p generation?

I'm looking into upgrading my machine with a dedicated GPU, and would like to take the AMD route for Linux compatibility. I've read the compilation post and know about the BIOS whitelist, but the information on which AMD cards are supported exactly is sparse. There seem to be some reports of the RX460 working on a ThinkCentre M82, but I wasn't able to find any more details about that.

Has anyone here had the chance to give these recent AMD cards a try, yet? Specifically the RX4xx and RX5xx series?

Thanks a lot in advance.

sero
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,554
Message 2 of 10

Re: Has anyone had any success getting new AMD cards to work with the ThinkCentre M83/M93p generatio

OK, I had some time for some Google-FU this afternoon and stumbled on the following:

This sounds promising enough for me to finally pull the trigger on an RX460. Stay tuned to this thread for the results once it's here!

sero
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,521
Message 3 of 10

Re: Has anyone had any success getting new AMD cards to work with the ThinkCentre M83/M93p generatio

Full success!

Just got the RX460 working on my ThinkCentre M83 Mini Tower. Here's the passmark result: https://www.passmark.com/baselines/V9/display.php?id=101556349060 (the 2D test was a bit bugged).

This is the card I used: MSI RX460 2GB OC → https://www.msi.com/Graphics-card/Radeon-RX-460-2G-OC.html. I would assume that the RX560 also works, given how similar these two cards are in their architecture.

Performance, thermals, and power usage are all perfect! At maximum stress (100% CPU, 100%GPU - Battlefield 3 with prime95 workers running in the background) power draw at the socket is only 180W. The GPU stays between 60-70° at max load, whereas the CPU reaches 75° (fan mode: acoustic performance).

I did however also add a front fan to improve intake ventilation.

Really happy I went with this GPU. Perfect choice for anyone who's mainly using Linux, but also wants to game a bit on the side.

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 1,516
Message 4 of 10

@sero wrote:

Performance, thermals, and power usage are all perfect! At maximum stress (100% CPU, 100%GPU - Battlefield 3 with prime95 workers running in the background) power draw at the socket is only 180W. The GPU stays between 60-70° at max load, whereas the CPU reaches 75° (fan mode: acoustic performance).

180w, good to know.  Which CPU do you have ( & wattage)?  What is the wattage on your RX 460?  What front fan did you install? 

Since you have a front fan you won't need them, but ventilated PCI slot covers next to the graphics card does also help with thermals. 

I do not work for Lenovo. I do not respond to Private Messages for help, your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where the information exchange may help others. If I helped you, click the 'Kudos' button, if solved, the 'Accept as Solution'.
sero
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,511
Message 5 of 10

Currently have an i5 4430 installed (84W TDP). I do hope to upgrade to a an i7-4790 at some point, though (same TDP, interestingly enough!). Prices are a bit prohibitive still.

As for the fan: I went with the the Noctua NF-A8 FLX: https://www.amazon.de/Noctua-NF-A8-FLX/dp/B00NEMG9K6. I actually had a PWM fan installed first (from Arctic, I think), but the fan would only run at full speed. Seems like the BIOS doesn't play that well with third-party PWM fans (or perhaps the fan was faulty?). In any case, it was very loud at 2000-odd RPM, so I went with the Noctua because it comes with RPM-limiting low-noise adapters. The fan is now running at a constant speed, but I think that should be ok for an intake fan.

Thanks for the tip about the ventilated covers! I will keep this in mind if I ever need to optimize the thermals even more.
sero
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,509
Message 6 of 10

Sorry, forgot to add about the GPU: The GPU is rated at 75W max, but MSI afterburner shows me a power draw of 50-60W at maximum use (not sure how accurate that is, though).
Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 1,504
Message 7 of 10

Since you have the Passmark app installed, could you do a search of the database for "M83" and "M93", and post screen captures with the results sorted by 3D performance (as described in the 'Best graphics' thread you just posted in.)  This would round out this graphics upgrade thread.  Ty. 

I do not work for Lenovo. I do not respond to Private Messages for help, your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where the information exchange may help others. If I helped you, click the 'Kudos' button, if solved, the 'Accept as Solution'.
sero
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,501
Message 8 of 10

Sure thing!

I couldn't do an "OR" search, so I had to take two separate screenshots.

M83 table:

Passmark_M83.PNG

M93 table:

Passmark_M93.PNG

So it looks like we have the following ranking for now:

1. GeForce GTX 970 (probably 3rd party PSU)
  2. GeForce 1050Ti
  3. Radeon RX460
  4. Quadro K4200 (probably 3rd party PSU)
  5. GeForce GTX 750Ti
  6. Radeon R7 360 (probably 3rd party PSU)

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 1,498
Message 9 of 10

Thank you.  I was particularly interested in what other AMD cards were there. 

Rustymand
Paper Tape
Views: 855
Message 10 of 10

Sorry To Necro this thread. But Has anyone had any luck getting the RX 560 to work on their M91P. I Purchased one for another pc and I am thinking about installing it in my M91P when I get back to my actual home. my M91P is in a Cm Storm case with a 600 Watt PSU.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors