Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Silva_2019
Fanfold Paper
Views: 569
Message 1 of 5

Help! A huge adventure: upgrade to M90p 5864

Hello everybody! Smiley Happy

This is my first post. I apologize for any misunderstanding (especially with my bad English).

My PC: Lenovo ThinkCentre M90p 5864, running Windows 7 Professional 64-bit, updated with the latest BIOS available (5JKT65AUS).

My problem: I want to renew this old fellow to the max, and I wonder if anyone has tried (and/or got) install SSD (M.2), i7-880 processor, video card and RAM.

I thought about the following:

- an M.2 adapter card connected to the available PCI-Express x16 slot. In that case, would the system be bootable?

- a video card (256 MB would be great!), but connected to the PCI 2.0 slot (legacy)! Because of the small cabinet, it would need to be a low profile and relatively small board. I saw that there are some boards in the old PCI standard on eBay.

- an Intel i7-880 processor, which would need the most efficient heatsink (to be purchased - part number 43N9815) found on the top-of-the-line M90p with i7 OEM processor;

- RAM (in this case, would fit more than 8GB?)

This upgrade would be the ideal situation for me.

Alternatives:

- Buy a "normal" SSD, SATA 3, and install it on the SATA 2 port of the PC, losing performance or, at best, install an SSD on a SATA 3 card connected to the PCI-Express slot. In both cases, would it be possible to boot with Windows 7, no problem?

- Do not change the processor and keep the video card integrated. In this case, it would not be necessary to buy a video card.

I believe that even with the upgrade, the power supply will be fine, because the video card would not be used for games (Windows, Office and the Internet only).

Any help or experience is welcome!

Thanks in advance.

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 537
Message 2 of 5

Re: Help! A huge adventure: upgrade to M90p 5864

Only SATA SSD is supported, PCIe SSD isn't supported for several generations (M900.) 

I do not work for Lenovo. I do not respond to Private Messages for help, your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where the information exchange may help others. If I helped you, click the 'Kudos' button, if solved, the 'Accept as Solution'.
Silva_2019
Fanfold Paper
Views: 524
Message 3 of 5

BiggAl, thank you very much for your quick response.

Please allow me to see if I understood correctly: not even with a PCIe 4x -> M.2 adapter card (like Vantec) would it be possible to install Windows and boot through the SSD m.2 on my computer?

Going beyond, it wouldn't be possible to boot through the PCIe x16 slot, for example, a PCIe -> SATA 3 adapter card? This was my 2nd option, not to reduce the transfer speed of the SSD to that of the SATA 2 bus.

Finally, about the other possibilities I mentioned (processor, video and RAM upgrade), in your experience with Lenovo, would you have any comments? Any tips or advice?

Thank you, again, for your time and helpfulness.

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 508
Message 4 of 5

Using an adapter card does not magically change the Chipset from supporting SATA II to supporting SATA III.  My suggestion is find a good used 2.5" Samsung 850 Evo or 860 Evo.   Here is a list of benchmarked M90p systems rated in order of best 3D performance, since you have a SFF, you will need a low-profile 40w max card, so some of the cards do not apply.  If you find a good used GT 1030 DDR5 at a decent price, that would be best, failing that, a GT 730 DDR5.  And see what memory upgrades Crucial and Kingston have for this specific model system. 

f-m90p passmark graphics.pngPassMark system benchmarks

I do not work for Lenovo. I do not respond to Private Messages for help, your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where the information exchange may help others. If I helped you, click the 'Kudos' button, if solved, the 'Accept as Solution'.
Silva_2019
Fanfold Paper
Views: 494
Message 5 of 5

BiggAl, I'm very grateful for your help. Thank you very much!

I will follow your advice, and I believe this will be the best of my old fellow M90p can walk.

Next step: mine parts.

Best Regards,

Maycon.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals