cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Spikesz
Fanfold Paper
Views: 9,180
Message 1 of 19

Help with BIOS please. (Lenovo Boot Block Recovery)

So I tried updating the BIOS on my Lenovo M92p desktop using Lenovo System Update program. Unfortunately, it didnt work and i ended up with a blank screen. I waited for about 10 minutes and still nothing happened. I decided to hold the power button and had it shut off. After multiple power ons, still no POST. I read the HMM and the section about BIOS boot block recovery. It said I needed to burn an iso file to a CD and also move the CMOS jumper to pins 2 & 3. Since I dont have a cd, I put the bios flash package on a usb drive instead, plugged it into pc, and also moved CMOS jumper to 2 & 3. Computer turns on and there are two beeps. No display. Does this mean I will have to get a CD?

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 9,109
Message 2 of 19

Re: Help with BIOS please.

What format was the USB drive?  Try using FAT32.  Failing that, yes, get a CD. 

I do not work for Lenovo. I do not respond to Private Messages for help, your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where the information exchange may help others. If I helped you, click the 'Kudos' button, if solved, the 'Accept as Solution'.
SeniorGuru
Views: 9,103
Message 3 of 19

You can't just copy the ISO file to a USB drive and boot from it. The ISO file is actually a "disk image" (like a ZIP) of all the files that will be needed (i.e. the operating system, the program that does the flashing, the binary file to be flashed, etc.).

So of course the expanded contents of the ISO file must be written to the USB drive.  But the USB drive must also be properly formatted in such a way that the machine can boot from it, i.e. the USB drive must be "bootable".

And then, the BIOS must be looking for the USB drive in its boot device list.  This would normally be configured by getting into the BIOS and confirming (or setting) the bootable device list to show (a) USB drive, (b) CD drive, (c) internal HDD/SSD.  Of course you have to be able to get into the BIOS in order to set that, and that requires the ability for the machine to actually boot... which is the whole problem here.  So I'm not 100% certain you will be able to do anything like booting from USB or CD so that you can re-flash the BIOS, since that requires a running computer and you can't make that happen right now.

Also, even if you haven't gotten into the BIOS to set the boot device sequence list to put the USB drive in front of the internal HDD?SSD, you typically can repeatedly tap F12 to get directly into the BIOS device list dialog, to choose the device you want to boot from that way.  Bypasses the preliminaries of first entering the BIOS proper.

My recommendation to creating a bootable USB drive the easy way when you have the ISO (which was supposed to be burned to CD) is to use a free utility named RUFUS.  The USB drive should probably best be formatted to empty FAT32, and for that I suggest you use a free utility named GUIFORMAT.

Spikesz
Fanfold Paper
Views: 9,090
Message 4 of 19

Alright I fixed it. Turns out the USB drive won't work. I finally got a CD and burned the latest Flash UEFI BIOS update (CD ISO image version) Version 9SKT99A from the Lenovo website onto the CD. After I burned it, I took the optical drive out of my second computer (with the CD still in it) and plugged it into SATA port of the Lenovo PC (with CMOS jumper at pins 2 & 3). I removed the SATA connection to my hard drives so the computer can only boot to the optical drive. Powered it on and it started flashing the bios. After it finished and turned off, I unplugged optical drive, plugged in hard drives, and reset CMOS back to pins 1 & 2. PC booted up back normally again. I still don't know if a usb flash drive or external optical drive would work (especially since it seemed like the USB 2.0 ports were disabled as they received no power, but for some reason USB 3.0 was working), but I can say that an internal SATA optical drive does work.
SeniorGuru
Views: 9,071
Message 5 of 19

Well, hats off to you!  Excellent work.  Very creative and competent approach.

Most importantly, you have emerged victorious.  Your machine is back, and your BIOS is updated, and all is well with the world.

I'm sure you could have been able to boot from a genuinely bootable USB drive, e.g. built by RUFUS from the ISO file that you burned to CD.  Yes, it was intended to be burned to CD, but you can also create a bootable USB drive with the identical files on it so that it runs exactly as if you'd booted from the burned CD.  It just needs to be created properly, and RUFUS does that, which of course is heaven for people with no optical drive available.

Have to give it to you, temporarily stealing the CD drive from your other machine and using it in the M92p while disconnecting all the other SATA data cables the hard drives was supremely clever.  But in a working machine, if you tap F12 repeatedly after powering on the machine you will enter the "boot drive selection menu" which allows you override everything and manually pick whatever device you want to boot from.

So, now that things are back to normal, if you enter the BIOS Setup Utility (by pressing F1 repeatedly, or I think ENTER should also work, whatever the prompt says underneath the Lenovo logo) you can navigate to the STARTUP tab and rearrange things for the future.  I'm sure you'll see USB HDD, or USB FDD, or USB CD, which represents booting from a USB device.  You may or may not have an ATAPI CD/DVD entry (or it might not be shown since you don't normally have an optical drive), and you will also see the hard drives.  Just manipulate the list per the HELP instructions on the right side of the screen so that the USB items are at the top, and the one bootable hard drive is below.

Then try it out, with some bootable USB drive. For example you can install Macrium Reflect Free (which is an excellent "system image backup" utility).  Then from its Menu Bar -> Other tasks -> Create Rescue Media, and create a bootable standalone USB version of Macrium Reflect.

You can then try booting from it, to confirm that all of this is now working properly... the boot device sequence in the BIOS STARTUP tab that you tweaked, your USB ports on the machine, etc.

Anyway, you've earned your own kudos for solving your problem the inventive way you did.

powerox
Fanfold Paper
Views: 9,055
Message 6 of 19

Hi ...

i am experiencing pretty much the same issue - but with the downside that the recovery doesn't work at all.

machine type => M92p Tiny 3227

What i tried so far:

+ Bios Image Versions x79 / x98 / x99

+ through USB memory or with the standard CD/DVD-Drive

+ CMOS battery existing one, removed or a new onewith

+ recovery jumper on 1-2 or 2-3

in general the system does not have any video output any more on the internal VGA

however - during the recovery procedure of the BIOS, it shows the bios update screen until it goes up 100% and says COMPLETE - then the machine turns off (like described within the HMM)

but afterwards it falls back into darkness :-(

any new ideas are more then welcome

|> ralf

powerox
Fanfold Paper
Views: 9,039
Message 7 of 19

i am close to cry Smiley Frustrated

10 minutes ago i lost a second machine while trying to update the bios - same specification same result

i am operating around 20 m92p/m93p machines, and never ever had such problems

what am i doing wrong???

i will also try to recover this box - may be i have more luck here

Spikesz
Fanfold Paper
Views: 8,995
Message 8 of 19

Thanks for all the help and advice!
Spikesz
Fanfold Paper
Views: 8,994
Message 9 of 19

After the BIOS update completed, did you remember to move the CMOS jumper BACK to pins 1 & 2?
powerox
Fanfold Paper
Views: 8,951
Message 10 of 19

yep - did that ...

tried flashing with both options but no success :-(

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors