Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
neumannu47
Serial Port
Views: 2,043
Message 1 of 14

Hi Speed USB Ports on M58e

I have two new M58e 7258-A36 computers. When I installed XP Home (SP3) on one, I plugged in a USB drive only to have XP report that no hi speed USB ports were available. The chipset drivers from Lenovo and from Intel have been installed. No luck.

When I checked the ports on the second computer with Windows 7 Pro, I got the same result: No hi speed USB ports. "This device can perform faster..."

There is no way these computers cannot have hi speed USB ports. I'm stumped and could use some suggestions. 

pagroundhog
802.11n
Views: 2,010
Message 2 of 14

Re: Hi Speed USB Ports on M58e

Hello,

Its been a long time since I had this problem but if I remember correctly I had a USB 1.1 device plugged into a different USB port and once I removed it, the USB 2.0 worked fine. BTW, are you sure the device you are plugging in is USB 2.0?

Good luck!

neumannu47
Serial Port
Views: 2,006
Message 3 of 14

Yes, both devices I tested are 2.0. Plus, I also recall that the image I made to an external hard drive was very slow to transfer, which means it had to be operating at 1.1. So, I'm stuck.

pagroundhog
802.11n
Views: 2,002
Message 4 of 14

Hello,

Open up device manager and expand your USB controllers view. Now, do you have a USB2 Enhanced Host Controller listed or are they all just USB Host Controllers? You need one enhanced version to gain USB 2.0 capabilities. If you do not have this enhanced controller present, then that explains why you are operating at 1.1 speed.

If you do have the enhanced controller, you can try deleting each controller (one at a time), then rebooting (which allows the controller to be rediscovered and initialized), to see if that fixes your problem. You also need to make sure that all of your devices, currently plugged into any USB port, are 2.0. (I know I said it before). You might want to test your device in every USB port connection to ensure you have a global problem and not a problem with just 1 controller.

neumannu47
Serial Port
Views: 1,999
Message 5 of 14

@pagroundhog wrote:

Hello,

Open up device manager and expand your USB controllers view. Now, do you have a USB2 Enhanced Host Controller listed or are they all just USB Host Controllers? You need one enhanced version to gain USB 2.0 capabilities. If you do not have this enhanced controller present, then that explains why you are operating at 1.1 speed.

If you do have the enhanced controller, you can try deleting each controller (one at a time), then rebooting (which allows the controller to be rediscovered and initialized), to see if that fixes your problem. You also need to make sure that all of your devices, currently plugged into any USB port, are 2.0. (I know I said it before). You might want to test your device in every USB port connection to ensure you have a global problem and not a problem with just 1 controller.

The problem is that there is no entry for the Enhanced Controller. That was the first thing I checked. USB is enabled in the BIOS. For some reason, XP (and Windows 7 on an identical computer) is not installing the Enhanced driver. The two USB devices I've tested with are a thumb drive and a brand new external hard drive. I tested front and back USB ports. Both devices are absolutely USB 2.0 devices. 

I also already deleted each controller and rebooted. It doesn't solve the problem. I updated the BIOS, to no avail. 

For some reason, Windows is not recognizing the ehanced ports, so it's not installing the drivers for them. I've tried the drivers from the Lenovo website as well as the generic drivers from the Intel website. Since the operating system is not seeing the hardware, it is not installing the drivers.

I've dealt with this issue many, many times, but I have always been able to solve it. This one has me whipped. 

pagroundhog
802.11n
Views: 1,995
Message 6 of 14

Hello,

Sorry I was so redundant in my detailed explanation of "what to do next"; however, I didn't know you had already done all that because your efforts were not explained in great detail in the original post.

So, not to be redundant again, I won't make any more suggestions; however, you sound like you are a very capable troubleshooter and; therefore, I am sure you will get to the bottom of this problem eventually. Please let us know what the fix was when you find it.Smiley Happy

Good luck!

neumannu47
Serial Port
Views: 1,990
Message 7 of 14

Well, thanks for your vote of confidence and your willingness to help, but I must not be too competent as I can't find the solution. I'm at the point that I believe the problem to be with Lenovo. There are only so many things within our control. 

pagroundhog
802.11n
Views: 1,977
Message 8 of 14

Hello,

I figured I would wait a bit before I made my next recommendation so here goes:

Try reinstalling the Lenovo version of the Intel Chipset Software Installation Utility  (v9.0.0.1009) or try downloading the latest version directly from Intel: Latest Intel Chipset Software Installation Utility  (v9.2.0.1030). After installation, delete the USB controllers and let them be rediscovered on reboot. I hope you didn't do all this already because you haven't mentioned it yet.

Good luck!

neumannu47
Serial Port
Views: 1,971
Message 9 of 14

No luck. After that, I tried reinstalling XP from the ground up, this time being careful to update to SP3 before ANY drivers were installed. (It turns out that .net 3.5 is required to install the chipset drivers, for some reason.) No luck. At this point, I'm returning the computer. There has to be either a problem with the computer or some quirk that's beyond my extensive experience.

Thanks for your suggestions. They are good ones. 

pagroundhog
802.11n
Views: 1,967
Message 10 of 14

What a shame...

One last suggestion. Go here and see if Intel can auto-detect and install it for you:

http://www.intel.com/p/en_US/support/highlights/chpsts/inf/

Good luck!

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors