cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
KDLawler
Fanfold Paper
Views: 3,101
Message 1 of 11

How do I install secondary HDD in M720t tower w. SSD and optical drive ?

I just purchased Thinkcentre M720t tower with 2.5" SSD and optical drive installed from factory.  Now I want to add a second HDD, a 3.5" (non-Lenovo) for media storage.  I see where I can connect SATA signal and power cables.  Questions:

1. In which bay does it go?  The SSD occupies part of the main drive bay and has a 3.5"-->2.5" bracket holding it.  There is space next to the optical drive but that is a larger bay, not standard 3.5".  So where does this go?

2. What Lenovo (or 3rd party) brackets do I need to attach the drive.

Things I know:

- This drive combo will fit.  You can order this combo from Lenovo with one of their HDDs instead.  But I wanted a larger one.

- In the maintenance manual, it refers to installing a secondary HDD, but it shows it fitting in the space where the optical drive is installed.

I imagine this might be similar to prior generation Thinkcentre M710, but not sure. 

All help is appreciated.

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 3,089
Message 2 of 11

Re: How do I install secondary HDD in M720t tower w. SSD and optical drive ?

I'm not clear on why it has a 2.5" SSD and not a M.2 PCIe SSD?  Is that a valid config?  A M.2 PCIe SSD is several times faster than 2.5" SATA SSD, and you would have the drive bay available.   Would be kinda like buying a Ferrari and swapping the turbo V8 for a 4 cyl.  

M.2 vs SATA: Storage Showdown M.2 vs SATA: Storage Showdown -- Jun 2018

I do not work for Lenovo. I do not respond to Private Messages for help, your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where the information exchange may help others. If I helped you, click the 'Kudos' button, if solved, the 'Accept as Solution'.
KDLawler
Fanfold Paper
Views: 3,063
Message 3 of 11

BiggAl, I went with SSD on SATA because the price is lower and I didn't need the performance.  Per Lenovo website, I can configure a M720t with SSD on SATA, HDD on SATA, and optical drive.  Cabling isn't my question.  It's the mechanical installation and parts needed.  Any ideas?

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 3,053
Message 4 of 11

One option is to use a PCI bracket for the 2.5" SSD, and mount the 3.5" HDD in the drive bay, you may need to extend the SATA power cable:

Amazon - Kenable PCI Backplane Adapter for Mounting 2.5 SSD/HDDs Into Vacant PCI Slot

I do not work for Lenovo. I do not respond to Private Messages for help, your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where the information exchange may help others. If I helped you, click the 'Kudos' button, if solved, the 'Accept as Solution'.
Lenovo Support Partner
Views: 3,033
Message 5 of 11

Actually 2nd HDD fits below Optical drive as designed by lenovo. IIRC we were using 5.25 -> 3.5 tray converters to put HDD there ...

Disclaimer: I am not Lenovo employee. While I do work for Lenovo Partner, all my contributions are my personal, non-official and not that of Lenovo or my employer.

Highlighted
KDLawler
Fanfold Paper
Views: 3,016
Message 6 of 11

@Toruk_Makto, thanks for that information.  Which Lenovo P/N do you use as the bracket to install the HDD in that location?

I did find an after-market bracket  to install the 3.5" HDD in the 5.25" bay next to the optical drive, although I'd rather use a genuine Lenovo part that is made for that space.  This bracket isn't the best fit, but it's working for now.  See images attached.

I have 2 questions or concerns about this installation.

1.  Note that the drive is mounted with the circuit board facing the cabinet.  Is this the correct mount or should the metal plate on the drive be facing the cabinet?

2.  When the bay is closed, note that the processor fan is only 1.5cm / 0.75in. from the HDD circuit board.  Will the HDD circuit board be subject to too much heat in that position?

Again, advice from experts is appreciated.

20181027_102132.jpgHDD in 5.25" bay w. circuit board facing cabinet20181027_102237.jpg1.5CM between CPU fan and HDD 

Lenovo Support Partner
Views: 2,996
Message 7 of 11

My suggestion would be swap the positions of HDD and SSD in any case.

Check Video here:
http://download.lenovo.com/lts/RTCW1270/FOF/RTCW1270-M710t-Tower_REM_FRU_04_3.5InchStorageDrive.mp4

What kind o 5.25 to 3.5 adapter do you use? I don't think we mounted HDD that way, so probably we have used different kind.

As for original lenov part list, I ll have to check at work, as Parts lookup online is super mess sometimes, mixing SFF Tiny and Tower parts (Well done Lenovo)

Disclaimer: I am not Lenovo employee. While I do work for Lenovo Partner, all my contributions are my personal, non-official and not that of Lenovo or my employer.

Neilm1
What's DOS?
Views: 2,998
Message 8 of 11

Hi,

Rotate the HDD 90 degrees from the way you have it in the photo, to have the cable connections part pointing towards the SSD drive (to the right as you are looking at it) and the HDD circuit board facing the optical drive. You should find the HDD slots in nicely. You'll find access for the cables through the metal work and a power connection located near by, no need for an extention. Then remove the optical drive so you can place the 4 screws through the black rubber spacers . Hope this helps.

KDLawler
Fanfold Paper
Views: 2,970
Message 9 of 11

Neilm1, Absolutely brilliant.  This is the way the machine was designed to accept the HDD.  The spare SATA power cable is positioned to just fit the drive installed.  All it took was one SATA data cable.  See attached photos.  HDD fits perfectly without blocking the fan.  Why can't Lenovo's instructions be that clear?  And why couldn't I figure this out for myself?  20181029_194028.jpg20181029_194233.jpg

MikeCam
Fanfold Paper
Views: 559
Message 10 of 11

Hi KD

Received identical M720T last week & intend to add a 2TB SSD or 4 TB HD to the spare bay.

Went for a dummy run earlier with a 2.5" HD.

Sadly the adapter kit I bought is inadequate, as is the User Guide.

No YouTube videos either.

So I signed up for the Lenovo Forum.

Which Adapter did you finally choose ?

I can see how to do this but no apparent screw holes or fixing points.

This should be a piece of cake.........

Might have to bite the bullet & take it to a real engineer.

Thanks in advance if you see this.

Mike

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors