Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
RichardJoline
Serial Port
Views: 508
Message 1 of 14

How to add an additional internal drive to M720s

I am looking for the instructions on adding an additional internal SSD to my M720s.  Is there a data and power cable or just one cable?  I have it mounted but PC not seeing drive.

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 486
Message 2 of 14

Re: How to add an additional internal drive to M720s

Two cables:  SATA power and SATA III data. 

I do not work for Lenovo. I do not respond to Private Messages for help, your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where the information exchange may help others. If I helped you, click the 'Kudos' button, if solved, the 'Accept as Solution'.
RichardJoline
Serial Port
Views: 442
Message 3 of 14

Thanks.  That did it.  I'm surprised there isn't a detailed installation guide from Lenovo.

ProfGMK
Paper Tape
Views: 339
Message 4 of 14

Sorry for what is probably a newbie question.....BUT

Q1:  where exactly does the SSD drive fit....I have opened the unit and cannot figure out where it fits. The unit is very tightly build and access is limited. Is there a trick to accessing the unit??

Q2: When adding a SSD drive, does it need any special brackets to hold it in place? If yes, Is this something that is only available from Lenovo?

Q3: Do you have any pix you can show me that would help in this process?

Q4: Last question.....is there a GB size limit to how large a drive can be added? 

Thx in advance

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 329
Message 5 of 14

What is it's current storage configuration?  2.5" and M.2.  Run "Device Manager" and look under "disk drives".  Post a Snip if you'll like, using 'Photos'.

I do not work for Lenovo. I do not respond to Private Messages for help, your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where the information exchange may help others. If I helped you, click the 'Kudos' button, if solved, the 'Accept as Solution'.
ProfGMK
Paper Tape
Views: 323
Message 6 of 14

It only has a 256GB Solid State Drive, M.2, PCIe, Opal, TLC.....Lenovo Tech SUpport says I cannot add a 2nd 256GB M.2 since there are no connections available on the motherboard. Are they correct??

That is what I was thinking of buying a larger 500 gb ssd 2.5" drive and installing it and connecting it to the board.

Thoughts?

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 315
Message 7 of 14

@ProfGMK wrote:

It only has a 256GB Solid State Drive, M.2, PCIe, Opal, TLC.....Lenovo Tech SUpport says I cannot add a 2nd 256GB M.2 since there are no connections available on the motherboard. Are they correct??

Correct, there is only one M.2 SSD slot.  However, you could upgrade that M.2 256 GB to a 500 GB or 1 TB (Samsung 960 or 970 Evo SSD cards are popular.)  Or as you wrote, install a 2.5" SATA SSD drive (M.2 PCIe is 4x faster than SATA), which would be the same scenario as the OP.  

ProfGMK
Paper Tape
Views: 307
Message 8 of 14

The M720 has a location for a new drive (SSD or HDD)...and wiring is provided.....but the wires themselves are rolled up and not connected to the motherboard. Once I get an SSD, will it be obvious where the new SSD card wires are to be attached (on both the SSD card itself and the motherboard)??
Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 303
Message 9 of 14

Watch a couple Youtube videos on how to install a 2.5" SSD, and use the HMM to reference where to connect the SATA data cable on the motherboard, connect to a SATA port (not an eSATA port, if it has one.)

ProfGMK
Paper Tape
Views: 298
Message 10 of 14

HMM??? What is this please?

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors