Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 122
Message 11 of 14

Re: How to add an additional internal drive to M720s

See item 2 in the "Read First ..." pinned thread above. 

I do not work for Lenovo. I do not respond to Private Messages for help, your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where the information exchange may help others. If I helped you, click the 'Kudos' button, if solved, the 'Accept as Solution'.
SeniorGuru
Views: 105
Message 12 of 14

@ProfGMK wrote:

HMM??? What is this please?

HMM = hardware maintenance manual

Instructions for how to replace primary 3.5" and/or secondary 2.5" drives are on pages 27-33.  You can also use the primary 3.5" bay to hold a 2.5" drive (e.g. SSD) in it, using a regular 3.5" ->2.5" adapter bracket bought online.

Picture of the motherboard layout and legend is on page 6.

M920s-motherboard.jpg

You will need to connect SATA power cable from the drive to an open 4-pin SATA power connector on the motherbard (which is (8) in the motherboard layout). Standard such cables are available online.  Or, if both 4-pin motherboard SATA power connectors are occupied (which I don't think they would be in your situation where you only have an M.2 drive), you can buy a Y-splitter for SATA power, to "adapt" the current single-connector end of one of the power cables currently in use into two SATA power connectors. Then one of these two power connectors can go back onto the drive you currently removed it from, and the second power connector can go to your new drive.

You also need to connect to the drive to an open SATA controller on the motherboard (which is (10) in the motherboard layout), of which there are three to choose from. You need a SATA3 data cable which are available online. You can get them both with or without the 90-degree connector at the drive end, for whichever fit works best for the drive location.

Another possibility is to add a second M.2 drive in a PCIe-to-M.2 daughtercard adapter like this one.  It supports up standard 2280 M.2 drives and includes a low-profile bracket which is required for your M720s SFF case. Of course this option would only work for you if you're not already using an x16 graphics card in the x16 slot on the motherboard. The M720s only has one x16 slot and two x1 slots, and the M.2 daughtercard requires x4 for full speed. And that means it must be inserted into the x16 slot of your M720s, which would only be available if you're not already using it for x16 graphics.  Otherwise forget this option.

ProfGMK
Paper Tape
Views: 87
Message 13 of 14

Thanks....very helpful.
What do you think about the following item as a purchase for the SSD drive (from ebay).
https://www.ebay.com/itm/480GB-SSD-Solid-State-Drive-for-Lenovo-ThinkCentre-M710s-M710t-M715s-M715t/...
SeniorGuru
Views: 74
Message 14 of 14

@ProfGMK wrote:
Thanks....very helpful.
What do you think about the following item as a purchase for the SSD drive (from ebay).
https://www.ebay.com/itm/480GB-SSD-Solid-State-Drive-for-Lenovo-ThinkCentre-M710s-M710t-M715s-M715t/...

Look fine I suppose, but I'm not familiar with the name Memorylabs who appears to be the manufacturer. Apparently they are a low-price seller on eBay of assorted products. I have no firsthand experience with anything they make.

Note that it appears that the 2.5" drive in that listing comes pre-installed in a 3.5" adapter bracket, so it's intended for use in the primary 3.5" drive bay of your M720s.  Shouldn't be a problem.

Here's a comparable modestly priced 2.5" 500GB Samsung 860 EVO SATA3 SSD, which also includes a comparable 3.5" adapter bracket (thus also intended to be installed in the primary 3.5" drive bay).  My own preference would be to go with the Samsung brand.  Note that both devices lose about 5% of the native drive capacity to "formatting overhead" (simlar to what HDD's lose), so you won't have either 480GB or 500GB genuinely available as drive storage for partitions.

The Samsung would also then get the benefit of the Samsung Magician software for improved lifetime through "over-provisioning" (at the cost of leaving about 9% of the drive unallocated) and increased SSD performance (through "rapid mode" (which makes use of available RAM memory storage in the machine as a high-speed cache-buffer for the SSD).

Both drives are SATA3 so their native transfer rates are the same.  So you can expect actual physical sequential read/write speeds of 500+ MB/S, at least from the Samsung which I know about.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors