cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
HEJohnsonJr
What's DOS?
Views: 711
Message 1 of 5

How to force the programming of Embedded Controller Firmware on ThinkCentre Tiny PC?

I have applied the latest (8/29/2018 version) of the ThinkCentre BIOS Update for M93p Tiny PCs to ten machines.
On three of the machines, the BIOS update attempted to first update the Embedded Controller Firmware.
Two of those Embedded Controller Firmware updates failed the 'Verify' step after firmware programming, and then got stuck in a loop re-trying. I killed the process while it was in a 5 second wait state and restarted the BIOS update. This time, it bypassed the Embedded Controller Firmware update thinking that was okay, and proceeded to successfully update the BIOS.

However, those machines that had the 'verfy' issue when flashing the Embedded Controller Firmware now suffer from a 25-30 second pause/delay during the Windows 10 boot up process, and also when shutting down. Even worse, coming out of 'Sleep' also has a 25-30 second pause/delay!

Looking at the Autoexec.bat file on the USB drive used to perform the BIOS updates, it executes the following to update the Embedded Controller Firmware:

SPI042 FBCT32A.bin /V 32A

This step does nothing if it determines that the Embedded Controller Firmware does not need updating.

QUESTION: Is there anyway to force a re-flashing of the Embedded Controller Firmware, such as a '-force' switch for SPI042?

bundies522
Punch Card
Views: 607
Message 2 of 5

Re: How to force the programming of Embedded Controller Firmware on ThinkCentre Tiny PC?

Hey,

I want to add that I'm having the same issue on two out of 3 comptuers that I have just attempted to update. At first I thought I did something wrong, but it appears that the update package Lenovo has on the website is corrupt.

I got the same error as you, failed to verify and then got stuck in a loop after flashing the Embedded Controller Firmware.

After a reboot, I also should add that any system with this installed causes the Generic USB Hub to report an "invalid device descriptor" and shows Code 43 attempting to start.

I'm pretty appalled that Lenovo has not replied to your issue, but I'm hoping that now after duplicating it multiple times, they will finally be able to chime in and escalate it.

bundies522
Punch Card
Views: 580
Message 3 of 5

Re: How to force the programming of Embedded Controller Firmware on ThinkCentre Tiny PC?

Hey, I just wanted to give you an update on something I did to solve the issue of the Embedded Controller flashing.

Because Lenovo support is completely incompetent and won't even take the time to reply, the only solution was to modify the flashing exe to skip the version check, because there was no override to force a flash of a lesser or equal version.

Here is a link to download the modified flashing exe: https://www20.zippyshare.com/v/wETP0pD9/file.html

1. Download the BIOS for FLASHING FROM INSIDE THE OS (not USB or CD version)
  2. Extract the BIOS package on Lenovo's website to YOUR C DRIVE (DO NOT RUN FROM USB)
  3. Drop this downloaded file into the folder where you extracted the BIOS and overwrite the existing file.
  4. Then run Flash.cmd as Administrator and the EC will flash. It should verify successfully.
    • Alternatively you can run only the command SPIW0323.exe FBCT32A.bin /V 32A to not reflash the whole BIOS.

Afterwards you can reboot and your boot should be instant again.

For the record, this is the last time I will ever buy a Lenovo product. Their support has proven themselves to be ineffective and incompetent. I've had BIOS issues with Dell in the past, and within a few hours a firmware engineer will respond on their forum to replicate your issue. Additionally, in my experience a Dell engineer will contact you directly by phone to work with you to resolve a firmware issue. Your post has gone months with no response, and I think this is unacceptable for any professional business product. I have attempted to contact Lenovo, but so far my tickets have been unanswered, even for such a serious issue affecting the M93 platform. I strongly encourage you to do the same and never buy from Lenovo again, until they step up their support and quality of releases.

vereslaca
Paper Tape
Views: 518
Message 4 of 5

Thank You! Thank You! and Thank You!

You are are really saved my ass!

The factory one from win 8.1 on m93p tiny didn't work for me.

I have downloaded your modified file. Under win 8.1 command line, it went to a neverending loop.

Then I copied it to a bootable usb stick, what I made before for updating a bios. SPIW0323.exe FBCT32A.bin (without /V 32A), hit enter and voila! 

I have and updated firmware now and all of my USB ports are working again.

Happiness!!!

Thank you!

Josh71x
Paper Tape
Views: 187
Message 5 of 5

Hi bundies522, could you please re-upload the file (SPIW0323.exe)? I'm facing the same problem here. Thank you so much! 

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors