Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Paper Tape
Message 1 of 5 (91 Views)

How to stop PC trying to boot from external USB Buffalo hard disk

Hi,

I have an external USB Buffalo hard disk attached to my Lenovo E73 W7 Pro PC.

If i boot with it connected then the PC won't boot through to Windows until i disconnect the Buffalo.

I have been into the Bios and set the boot order to not only styart with the HD but also ignore USB and CD ROM.

Interestingly before i changed the Bios it would stop the boot and when i disconnected the Buffalo i would get the option to go the bios; now that i have changed the bios although it still doesn't boot through to Windows, when i disconnect the Buffalo the Windows spalsh screen appears immediately.

So..

My thoughts are that the bios change has been a good thing and now there is a Windows option that needs to be changed to make it boot to Windows ignoring the Buffalo until it has started.

Has anyone any advice please?

Cheers,

Simon

Paper Tape
Message 2 of 5 (83 Views)

Re: How to stop PC trying to boot from external USB Buffalo hard disk

Well..

Despite device manager stating that all USB drivers were fine and up to date, i visited Intel and downloaded and ran their USB drivers and now it boots fine into Windows with all connected.

What's DOS?
Message 3 of 5 (62 Views)

I reecently added a WD 4TB Mybook to a M90z(i3/W10Pro)Desktop.  Worked great for 3 days. Day 4 Upon wake from Sleep, it would not proceed past the LENOVO start screen into Bios Startup.

After Troubleshooting, it turned out only to be the USB WD 4TB.

We also changed the HDD Boot Setup ( as in the other reply below ) in Bios but the issue still continued.

I spoke to WD support- Apparently In the motherboard Bios it is originally set to boot as a MBR( Master Boot Record) startup mode. In this mode, the maximum boot record for any partition is 2.2 TB. This is a problem when you add a 4 TB Storage drive via USB into the HDD Startup sequence.

I believe a Lenovo firmware update can update the BIOS to Startup HardDrive sequences in GPD rather than MBR?

as per WD-Western Digital Tech support, The newer GPD format accepts larger drive boot setups?  

QUESTION TO LENOVO: is there any specific KB update to correct this issue? KB update for anyone with ADD ON USB storage?

My DEVICE M90z AIO: 0800-RS5

What's DOS?
Message 4 of 5 (62 Views)

I recently added a WD-(Western Digital) 4TB Mybook to a M90z(i3/W10Pro)Desktop.  Worked great for 3 days.

Day 4 Upon wake from Sleep, it would not proceed past the LENOVO start screen into Bios Startup.

Even trying to use ENTER key did not work.

I thought it could be a conflict with the USB wireless keyboard. So we tried to swap to a wired DKeyboard and still no access to BIOS.

After Troubleshooting, it turned out only to be the USB- WD 4TB MY BOOK drive blocking the Boot Sequence.

We also changed the HDD Boot Setup ( as in the other FAQ reply below ) in Bios but the issue still continued.

I spoke to WD support- Apparently In the motherboard Bios it is originally set to boot as a MBR( Master Boot Record) startup mode. In this mode, the maximum boot record for any partition is 2.2 TB. This is a problem when you add a non-partitioned 4 TB Storage drive via USB into the HDD Startup sequence.

Separately both devices work fine. Added after boot sequence the drive performs as expected.

Only at Startup do you experience any boot failure.

I hope this helps?

I believe a Lenovo firmware update can update the BIOS to Startup HardDrive sequences in GPD rather than MBR?

as per WD-Tech support, The newer GPD format accepts larger drive boot setups?  

QUESTION TO LENOVO: is there any specific KB update to correct this issue? KB update for anyone with ADD ON USB storage?

What's DOS?
Message 5 of 5 (62 Views)

I recently added a WD-(Western Digital) 4TB Mybook to a M90z(i3/W10Pro)Desktop.  

Worked great for 3 days.

Day 4 Upon wake from Sleep, it would not proceed past the LENOVO start screen into Bios Startup.

Even trying to use ENTER key did not work.

I thought it could be a conflict with the USB wireless keyboard.

So we tried to swap to a wired keyboard, but still no access to BIOS.

After Troubleshooting, it turned out only to be the USB- WD 4TB MY BOOK drive blocking the Boot Sequence.

We also changed the HDD Boot Setup ( as in the other FAQ reply below ) in Bios but the issue still continued.

I spoke to WD support- Apparently In the motherboard Bios it is originally set to boot as a MBR( Master Boot Record) startup mode. In this mode, the maximum boot record for any partition is 2.2 TB. This is a problem when you add a non-partitioned 4 TB Storage drive via USB into the HDD Startup sequence.

Separately both devices work fine.

USB Storage DRIVE Added after boot sequence, performs as expected.

Only at Startup do you experience any boot failure.

I hope this helps?

as per WD-Tech support, The newer GPD format accepts larger drive boot setups?  

Top kudoed Authors