cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
DerrickML
What's DOS?
Views: 482
Message 1 of 8

Install Win7 on brand new M810z.... AARGH.

MODEL: M810z All-in-One (ThinkCentre)

Serial No: xxxxxxxx

Machine Type: 10NX

I know has been asked before (many a time), but not for a new M810z. But I am trying to downgrade to Windows 7 as I dont want to roll out Windows 10 to my company. 

I have a bootable Win7 USB with the USB3.0 and NVMe drivers embedded into it and I am getting the dreaded "No device drivers are found" error so obviously I have hit a road block. I know the USB 3.0 drivers are fine as the mouse and keyboard are working fine. So its obviously the device drivers for the SSD that I am lacking, even know I have installed the NVMe drivers into my USB. Or does anyone know where I can get the SSD drivers and not an exe file so I can try and give them to the install. 

Has anyone managed to actually get Windows 7 running on one of AiO PC's? Or am I stuck in the problem with the new chipsets that dont support Windows 7? 

Could do with some help. 

Cheers....

Mod edit:  obscured serial number per Forum guidelines to prevent unauthorized use

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 474
Message 2 of 8

Re: Install Win7 on brand new M810z.... AARGH.

@DerrickML wrote:

Has anyone managed to actually get Windows 7 running on one of AiO PC's? Or am I stuck in the problem with the new chipsets that dont support Windows 7? 

Some come pre-installed with Win 7.  Which processor do you have? 

Edit:  some Sky Lake models of M810z can have Win 7 pre-installed. 

I do not work for Lenovo. I do not respond to Private Messages for help, your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where the information exchange may help others. If I helped you, click the 'Kudos' button, if solved, the 'Accept as Solution'.
DerrickML
What's DOS?
Views: 468
Message 3 of 8

Its a 7th Gen Core i5. I know its capable of running Win7 (at least from what I have read its capable), but its the SSD drivers I need to get hold of so that it sees the drive for install. 

I just dont want to start rolling out Windows 10. 

Guru
Views: 453
Message 4 of 8

Hi,

Will the below article help you?

NVMe SSD support under Microsoft Windows 7 - ThinkCentre

https://pcsupport.lenovo.com/us/en/solutions/HT503892

If a post answers your question, please mark it as an”Accepted Solution“!
 If a post helps you, please click the star to give it a "Kudo"!

I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. I will not respond to unsolicited private messages. Questions belong in the forum so it may   help other forum members as well.
 T490, TP 25 Retro, X1 Yoga 3rd Gen, W510 850 EVO, A30p
 Retired 385D, A20p, A21p

DerrickML
What's DOS?
Views: 450
Message 5 of 8

I already have that hotfix installed into my USB drive and I still get that "no drivers" error.
SeniorGuru
Views: 428
Message 6 of 8

@DerrickML wrote:

Its a 7th Gen Core i5. I know its capable of running Win7 (at least from what I have read its capable), but its the SSD drivers I need to get hold of so that it sees the drive for install. 

I just dont want to start rolling out Windows 10. 

7th generation CPU is Kaby Lake, which doesn't support Win7.  It was 6th generation CPU Skylake that theoretically is the final hardware which MS supports Win7 on.

If you've added the NVMe driver and USB 3.0 driver to your Win7 installer, then you did do what was needed to install Win7 to a Skylake machine.  Specifically USB 3.0 is needed to support USB mouse/keyboard.  And NVMe driver is needed to target the installed Windows 7 to an NVMe SSD.  But all of this presumes 6th-generation Skylake CPU, not 7th generation Kaby Lake.

I think you may be in trouble.

incidentally, you can install Win10 to look ESSENTIALLY IDENTICAL TO WIN7, in terms of the desktop appearance, Start menu appearance and functionality, Start menu folders, drag/drop into Start menu folders, etc.  The magic is the product START10 from StarDock, if you have no problem using a 3rd-party product on your computers.  I have been using both START8 on my Win8.1 machines and START10 on my Win10 machines for years now, as my "user community": is still loving Win7 and didn't want to leave it if possible.  But when you get a new machine that only supports Win10, you have to compromise.

And START10 is that "compromise". You and your users will really think the new Win10 desktop is just a slicker faster Win7.

Try it.  You'll love it.  Customize it to be as old-fashioned or modern as you care to have it, but the installed defaults are nearly perfect.

DerrickML
What's DOS?
Views: 408
Message 7 of 8

I had a feeling that was going to be the case.

I suppose I will just have to bite the bullet and start rolling out Windows 10. Sigh...

Oh Microsoft why couldnt you create a "business" version of W10 without all of the faff that employees dont need access to. I miss Windows NT.
SeniorGuru
Views: 402
Message 8 of 8

@DerrickML wrote:
I suppose I will just have to bite the bullet and start rolling out Windows 10. Sigh...

Oh Microsoft why couldnt you create a "business" version of W10 without all of the faff that employees dont need access to. I miss Windows NT.

I'm telling you... if you will simply give START10 a try on your current M810z, just to see what I'm talking about, I think your users will probably never realize that they're not using Win7.

It's really the lack of traditional old classic Start Menu presentation and look-and-feel and manner-of-use and underlying functionality which is what makes the Win10 desktop so different.  What MS brought back in Win10 after so many complaints about Win8/8.1 was "better than it was" but still not the old classic comfortable Start Menu.  Bt if you install START10, you WILL actually now have your old familiar original Win7 Start Menu back!!  Yes, you can also simultaneously use the Win10 Start Menu and all the rest of the regular Win10 desktop capabilities and navigation methods if you want, but you don't have to.  You can stick with what appears as the old fashioned Win7 Start Menu navigation technique if that's what you and your users want to do.

You don't need to use "tiles" as your way of navigating and launching programs.  Just do what you used to with WinNT, Win95/98, WinXP, and Win7, and drop program icon shortcuts onto the desktop, or pin those shortcuts to the taskbar or to the Start Menu.  Your desktop will look just as it used to, cluttered with program or file shortcuts if that's how you like it.  Create Start Menu folders to consolidate bunches of shortcuts or other folders, etc., to launch programs via Start Menu flyout levels to the right, exactly as you used to do with Win7.  START10 makes this your normal regular familiar interface, exactly as you really wanted in the first place because you've been comfortable with it forever, but as MS disregarded after decades of training us to use it.

Trust me on this. Although I myself have sort of become bi-lingual and can actually find my way around in "native Win10", it's definitely "my second language".  Win7 is my "native language".  But with START10 installed you will think it is simply that MS brought back the true Win7 Start Menu.  And at least four friends and family who I've upgraded to new Win10-only desktops and laptops, and who are absolutely NOT tech savvy, are actually right at home and working perfectly on their new machines... not complaining or even much realizing that they're using Win10 at all!

Give it a try.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors