Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ERockZab
Blue Screen Again
Views: 3,600
Message 1 of 2

Installing Windows 7 on M710s

Trying to install Windows 7 on an M710s computer with an M.2 drive and keep receiving the same error. "A required CD\DVD drive device driver is missing. If you have a driver floppy disk, CD, DVD, or USB flash drive, please insert it now.

I have tried the xhci drive, Enabled the USB Virtual KBC Support option in BIOS, added what I thought were the NVME drivers and I cannot get past this point! 

Does anyone have some insight as to what driver it is missing, and how I can get the actual drivers for this pc and not the exe files???

SeniorGuru
Views: 3,563
Message 2 of 2

Re: Installing Windows 7 on M710s

Been discussed many times here.

Assuming your M710s is Skylake (which MS still allows for Win7) and not Kaby Lake (which is not supported for Win7), the problem is that the original Win7 retail installer did not contain built-in driver support for USB 3.0 which Skylake hardware requires to handle USB mouse/keyboard.  The USB 3.0 driver is required during the Win7 install.

Also, the original Win7 retail installer does not contain built-in driver support for specifying M.2 NVMe SSD devices as the output target for the Win7 installed system.

So in order to be able to perform a Win7 install you must build new installation media (bootable USB) that is the sum of the original retail Win7 installer (from DVD or ISO) plus the missing USB 3.0 driver.  And if you wanted to target an M.2 NVMe SSD, then you also must add the missing NVMe driver.

Gigabyte has a utility program they created for their own users of Skylake motherboards (Intel chipsets 100/200/x299) which required USB 3.0 driver support built into the Win7 install media.  The Gigabyte utility creates new USB install media by slipstreaming Intel USB 3.0 drivers into a pre-existing Win7 DVD install media, so that the newly created bootable USB Win7 install media can support the USB mouse/keyboard via USB 3.0 ports.

In addition, the Gigabyte utility will also optionally add NVMe drivers so that if you want to install Win7 to an M.2 NVMe target drive on your new Skylake machine you can do that as well.

The Gigabyte utility is available from the Gigabyte download site, scrolling down on the page about midway and then expanding the "Utility" section.  It is described as: Windows USB Installation Tool, (Note) Support Intel 100/200/X299 series motherboards. OS: Windows 7 64bit,Windows 7 32bit.

The direct link to the utility on that page is here.

Input is either DVD or ISO file, and the output is a bootable USB flash drive containing the original Win7 installer plus the two missing drivers, which you can then boot to and install Win7 on your M710s (assuming it's Skylake), targeting NVMe SSD.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors