cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ShineDK
Paper Tape
Views: 1,211
Message 1 of 6

Installing Windows 7 on a ThinkCenter M910X. Help needed.

Hey guys iam trying to install Windows 7 on a ThinkCenter M910X Tiny. (Machine Type: 10N0) 
I downloaded a fresh install from Microsoft with SP1.

Every time i boot from usb it loads into the part where you must select language and keyboard and gets stuck there. I cant move my mouse or keyboard when it gets to that part. I have tried to use diferent keybords and mice with no luck.

I have also set the bios to legacy mode and disabled secure boot.

Is it possible to install Windows 7 on this machine, and if so how?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thx

SeniorGuru
Views: 1,208
Message 2 of 6

Re: Installing Windows 7 on a ThinkCenter M910X. Help needed.

See this post for the solution.  Topic has been discussed for several years now.

To install Win7 onto a Skylake or newer chipset, you must recreate new Win7 installation media that includes the required USB 3.0 drivers.  The original retail Win7 install CD/DVDE does not include built-in support for USB 3.0.

Also, the original Win7 installer only supported SATA target drives, not NVMe M.2 drives.  So if you want to install directly to an NVMe M.2 target device you must also add the required NVMe controller drivers to your newly rebuilt Win7 install media.

The Gigabyte utility mentioned in the post I referenced above will add BOTH the USB 3.0 drivers as well as NVMe controller drivers and produce a bootable USB flash drive from which you can then install Win7 to your [hopefully Skylake] M910X machine.

ShineDK
Paper Tape
Views: 1,162
Message 3 of 6

Well it almost worked. The keyboard and mouse are now working. But the disk is still not showing up. I will try to find som other driver. But thank for the info. Now i gotta figure out which driver it is. Smiley Happy

SeniorGuru
Views: 1,149
Message 4 of 6

What kind of drive are you trying to install Win7 to on this machine?

Is it completely empty, or has it been previously used?  Does it have any free space on it sufficient for a Win7 partition?

ShineDK
Paper Tape
Views: 1,140
Message 5 of 6

Its a Samsung mzvlw256hehp-000l7 - M.2 - NVMe 

I used these DRIVERS to get it working. I can see the drive and delete/format it, but now its saying it cant make a partition on the drive.
Windows 7 is fighting me every step of the way. Smiley Tongue

SeniorGuru
Views: 1,137
Message 6 of 6

Those drivers are for a Thinkstation... not a ThinkCenter M910x. How/when did you make use of them, to get them added to the newly created Win7 installer media that includes USB 3.0??

Did you use the Gigabyte utility, and did you also check the optional NVMe drivers to be added to the output Win7 installer?  I would have expected that driver to be usable to specify the target NVMe drive and support the normal range of install-time functions.  Where/how do you have the ability to "delete/format" but you don't have any ability to "partition"?  Just let the Win7 installer create all partitions on its own.

I would expect that you should simply completely delete everything, if anything, that is currently on the PM961.  Do not pre-format any partitions on it, but just let the Win7 installer create the partitions it would normally create (i.e. "system reserved" of about 100MB, and the rest of the drive for Win7 C).  It's a small drive so it doesn't matter whether it's partitioned as MBR or GPT.

No matter what partitioning is accomplished at Win7 install time you can always perform radical "surgery" afterwards using Minitool Partition Wizard Free.

Is this PM961 the only drive in the machine?  Did you get it that way from Lenovo, or did you install it yourself?  Was there no SATA HDD spinner present? I ask because in worst case you could install Win7 to the HDD spinner (which should present no problem if you have a Win7 installation media containing USB 3.0 drivers).  Then you could download and install the Samsung NVMe Controller driver (from the Samsung download site) into the just-installed barebones Win7 running on the HDD spinner, in order to be able to see and have full access to the raw/empty PM961.  Then you could use Macrium Reflect Free to "clone" the just-installed barebones Win7 partitions from the HDD spinner onto the NVMe PM961.  Then you re-boot to the BIOS, change the Startup device boot sequence to boot from the NVMe drive, save/re-boot.  You're now running off of the PM961.  And you could then re-purpose the HDD spinner for "data".

Do you have this latter option?

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors