cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
kenner43
Paper Tape
Views: 2,593
Message 1 of 6

Installing a SATA 2 Hard Drive with the first hard drive being a primary IDE Hard Drive

I have a M50 - 8187 Think Centre and I see on the motherboard and in the manual that there is a SATA 1 and a SATA 2 connection. I tried to hook up a SATA 2 hard drive but when I connect everything up using a SATA data cable, there is nothing recognizable in the BIOS.

I took a 30 gig IDE hard drive and hooked it up as a slave and the BIOS recognized it right away.

My question is, can a SATA hard drive be used on the M50 Think Centre series and if so, what do I have to do to get the SATA 2 controller recognized in the BIOS. I updated the BIOS to the latest version, but this did not help. I see no where in the BIOS to enable SATA.

Any help regarding my problem is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!!

Ken

MattRB
Token Ring
Views: 2,582
Message 2 of 6

Re: Installing a SATA 2 Hard Drive with the first hard drive being a primary IDE Hard Drive

You never will have to 'Enable' SATA for it to work, are you sure your plugging in the sata power cable ?

The question may also be can your machine handle this drive, not can the machine handle sata.

I would reccomend running a bios update, and then trying again. 

netnubar
802.11n
Views: 2,571
Message 3 of 6

Re: Installing a SATA 2 Hard Drive with the first hard drive being a primary IDE Hard Drive

Could you please post the remaining three characters of your product no. (8187-xxx)?
kenner43
Paper Tape
Views: 2,554
Message 4 of 6

8187-EHU is the IBM Machine for the second person who replied. 

To the first reply, yes, I plugged in the 7-pin serial ATA data cable (red) into SATA 1 and tried again with SATA 2 and used the 15 pin serial ATA power receptacle on the machine but nothing happens. I even tried with the IDE power cable and again, nothing is recognized in the BIOS.

I updated the BIOS to the latest available (being 2005) and a no go either. Is there jumpers that need to be set??

I am not sure why the newer SATA drives would not work on the machine given there are 2 SATA connectors on the IBM motherboard and a feature allowing for the SERIAL ATA to be enabled in the BIOS.  I tried a used 30 gig IDE hard drive and woola it recognizes it right away (which tells me to get a bigger IDE hard drive for backup).

I am just curious why IBM would have a SATA 1 and a SATA 2 connector on their mother board and when the serial ATA is enabled in the BIOS, that the SATA hard drive is not recognized.

Ken

netnubar
802.11n
Views: 2,520
Message 5 of 6

Hello kenner43,

If I read your original post correctly, you have attempted to connect a SATA 2 HDD to one or both your SATA connectors.  My guess is that your SATA controller can't handle the faster data transfer rate of the newer SATA 2 devices.

The US and Canada overview for your machine states that it is SATA150 enabled (I'm assuming that Regina is in Canada).  The overview is here: http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/document.do?sitestyle=lenovo&lndocid=MIGR-51144

SATA150 (or SATA 1) is the first generation of SATA and some SATA 1 controllers will not handle SATA 2 devices smoothly.  The difference between both standards is described in this Wikipedia article: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sata

If your SATA 2 HDD has a jumper that can be set to throttle back the data transfer rate (to 1.5 Gbit/s), the drive might be recognised. 

kenner43
Paper Tape
Views: 2,508
Message 6 of 6

Thank you for the thorough response, much appreciated. Yes, Regina is in Canada.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors