Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

ThinkCentre DesktopsThinkCentre A, E, M, S Series
All Forum Topics
Options

21 Posts

02-03-2014

Montreal

88 Signins

900 Page Views

• Views: 900
  • Message 1 of 6

Intel ME configuration

2014-04-01, 16:10 PM

:smileyvery-happy:Hello. I just found out that I need to be on this Lenovo to be able to post.

A newbee but not that bad of a newbee. I got to play with the a/n ME stuff and got stuck. I was not intending to change anything but inadvertently I hit the Enter key and got locked out of the Ctrl-P command. I can not get to this Configuration any more. I have reset both CMOS jumpers, removed the RTC 2032 and still no joy.

I can live with this as I really do not need the ME options, I am on private LAN. I would like to be able to get back to the Configuration and reset it as now the fans are both running a full rate and are noisy.

To really muddle the question is that I do not remember where I was when I hit the Enter key. Is there a procedure to reset the whole thing ? I can access the BIOS and it is the latest, 2012.

I finally had this fine M58 going to my liking and I was trying to learn more about it but got my fingers slapped. I first had BIOS problems but that got fixed thanks to the experts here.

Any suggested procedure will be followed with devotion.  Thanks.  JP.

Options

21 Posts

02-03-2014

Montreal

88 Signins

900 Page Views

• Message 2 of 6

Re: Intel ME configuration

2014-04-03, 21:33 PM

Hello.

I guess that nobody knows anything here about this Intel Management Engine and what to feed it.

It was an honest try, I assure you.  Jean.

Options

353 Posts

03-29-2008

609 Signins

9408 Page Views

• Message 3 of 6

2014-04-09, 13:51 PM

wrote:

Hello.

I guess that nobody knows anything here about this Intel Management Engine and what to feed it.

After reading your post I would say a lot of people on this forum know much more than you about Intel vPro technologies.

If you had been playing with Intel ME configuration then disable it in BIOS and restart your computer. These steps should unprovision AMT, allowing you to log into the Management Engine BIOS Extension configuration utility (once this feature has been reenabled in the BIOS setup) by means of Ctrl-P and the default "admin" password again.

If you have permanently disabled AMT in BIOS then... well... you have permanently disabled this feature. Learn how setting up a computer before making judgments about the knowledge of other members of this forum.

Options

21 Posts

02-03-2014

Montreal

88 Signins

900 Page Views

• Message 4 of 6

2014-04-09, 14:51 PM

Hello is 1981 and thanks for your comeback.

>>>After reading your post I would say a lot of people on this forum know much more than you about Intel vPro technologies.

I have no doubt. Please keep in mind my statement: an honest try. 

>>>If you had been playing with Intel ME configuration then disable it in BIOS and restart your computer. These steps should unprovision AMT, allowing you to log into the Management Engine BIOS Extension configuration utility (once this feature has been reenabled in the BIOS setup) by means of Ctrl-P and the default "admin" password again.

This M58 that I got recently was dedicated to a network where nobody was allowed to change anything, except the IT persons. The BIOS was locked ! I was able to unlock it via the jumpers reset. This MoBo is quite different from all the diagrams that I have studied in this forum and on the Lenovo site. There are two CMOS jumpers. I have tried to re-validate the Intel ME by resetting both of them, then one at the time, no joy. Nowhere does it say which one is what.

This was due to the fact that this ME was not reset in the BIOS, you seem to indicate that it was, no, it was reset when looking into it. I still think that it would be available as some document show that it is a low-level action that takes place much before the OS is loaded, à la BIOS, but so far I have not been able to find the magic formula.

If you have permanently disabled AMT in BIOS then... well... you have permanently disabled this feature. Learn how setting up a computer before making judgments about the knowledge of other members of this forum.

I really wish that you would recognize my humility vis-à-vis the members of this forum. The fact is that either nobody was interested in looking into this ME as it is really an IT support thing or until you piped up, nobody came to offer a solution. I will thank you now.

When I go into the BIOS, I have reset the lines in Advanced any which way that was offered and still the Ctrl-P will not bring up ME. It, the Ctrl-P is offered as it is after an F12 but selecting it brings up the OS, in this case, W-7. Resetting the CMOS jumpers got me back into a workable BIOS and I have it set up as I desire, I wish that I could do the same with ME.

I did get some fine help here to help me set up an Advanced Lenovo keyboard, one user gave me the URL where to get the needed driver, thanks.

I still have not the solution to this situation but I appreciate your attempt in helping me learn something new. Jean.

--
Sent from a device not manufactured by Apple.  Yeah !
Options

353 Posts

03-29-2008

609 Signins

9408 Page Views

• Message 5 of 6

2014-04-09, 15:26 PM

As I said you may have either:

1. bricked AMT by permanently disabling it - only fix in this case is a motherboard replacement, or
  2. configured it in a way that does not allow log into the Management Engine setup - in this case you should try un-provisioning AMT by disabling it in the BIOS setup.

You have not confirmed (1). Have you tried (2)?

Options

21 Posts

02-03-2014

Montreal

88 Signins

900 Page Views

• Message 6 of 6

2014-04-09, 19:10 PM

Hello, is 1981.

As I said you may have either:

bricked AMT by permanently disabling it - only fix in this case is a motherboard replacement, or configured it in a way that does not allow log into the Management Engine setup - in this case you should try un-provisioning AMT by disabling it in the BIOS setup.

You have not confirmed (1). Have you tried (2)?

1) Getting a new MoBo is out of the question, I only paid $50.00 for this M58 so a new Mobo would quite double this cost. and then, I think that the ME instructions are in the CMOS, it ought to be possible to rejuvenate it the normal CMOS reset way. Still looking, I do not give up easy.

2)  I will again go into the BIOS and see where I could do this, I have been there a few times so far and accessing the Advanced page, I have toggled the lines a few different ways. It was not easy as the BIOS was locked at first. Obviously, so far, I have configures it to the extend that I can not log into the setup pages anymore. I do believe that there ought to be a reset somewhere, in the true IBM-Lenovo way.

I will let you know.  Thanks for humoring me. Jean.
Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms