cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
RC1
Paper Tape
Views: 1,835
Message 1 of 11

** Lenovo Active Protection System V1.0.0.21 Causing Windows 7 64-bit to randomly lock up **

Hi everyone,

We supplied 4 x Lenovo ThinkCentre M93P Tiny Desktops (Model: 10AB003SAU) to a business customer earlier in the year.

They are all running Windows 7 64-bit with 500GB 7000RPM SATA drives.

Late last week to early this week (approx 17 April 2015 to 20 April 2015) an update came through Lenovo System Update for Lenovo Active System Protection V1.0.0.21 which the customer installed on all four of their systems.

Since then, all four systems have been hanging & locking up during use & then require a hard reset for the systems to be usable again until the problem reoccurs next time then the same thing over & over.

I spent a heap of time going over the systems trying to work out the cause of this issue which has cost me an absolute fortune in lost productivity & lost revenue.

It also lost the customer a lot of time & renenue due to the systems being problematic over a number of days.

Thanks very much Lenovo! Won't get any of that time or lost labour back!

Customer is furious with both us & Lenovo over this matter, we will likely lose future business due to this.

Hoping this may save someone else a major headache if they see this post early enough as I assume problem would be relatively widespread if people are using Lenovo Update.

If anyone else has or had this issue recently then please comment.

Very disappointed with this problem due to an update which appears to be not fully tested!

I wonder how likely it will be that we will continue to supply Lenovo systems to other customers after this in the future......

AdminHell
Paper Tape
Views: 1,746
Message 2 of 11

Re: ** Lenovo Active Protection System V1.0.0.21 Causing Windows 7 64-bit to randomly lock up **

I just had the very same problem with a 10A5 0006 (M93 without "p").

Customer reported the issue on Friday, 8th of May after apparently suffering silently through the issue for a few days already, saying that it becomes worse, and that he has to restart the machine sometimes every quarter of an hour.

Thankfully customer was able to say that the problems started in the last week of April already, and indeed, on the 16th the machine last installed Windows Updates, and on the 19th the aforementioned Active Protection Of Doom 1.0.0.21.

I already began back tracing (read: uninstalling one by one) the updates from that day when I stumbled over your post. In all fairness, I would probably not have even touched the Lenovo update, thinking first of a MS foobar.

This post saved me from having to invest several hours of time, not to mention that I will be now prepared if the next machine with the similar issue comes around the corner (I need to service roundabout 50 M93p's from the last half year, I betcha there will be more)

Thanks

RC1
Paper Tape
Views: 1,739
Message 3 of 11

Re: ** Lenovo Active Protection System V1.0.0.21 Causing Windows 7 64-bit to randomly lock up **

Hi there,

Finally, someone else who has felt some of my pain & frustration!

Extremely pleased that the time I spent posting this issue saved you some time.

I inintially thought that it was a hardware issue as only one system out of the four systems started being problematic (I later discover that this was because that system was the first one to install the Lenovo Active Protection update), but then when the other three systems started doing the same thing I thought it was a Windows Update as well & also started removing recent Windows updates & didn't suspect Lenovo updates to be the culprit until I had ruled pretty much everything else out

The big question is that why haven't Lenovo looked into this issue & / or pulled the problematic update!!!!???? Surely they couldn't have tested the update before rolling it out to their update server! Very disappointing effort in my opinion!

I have spent too much time on the issue to bother sitting on hold to Lenovo Support & then spend even more time trying to convince them of the problem.

Perhaps they can't be bothered monitoring these forums for doozies with their software like this one & they may still be unaware of their stuff up!

As you say, there are bound to be more systems pop up with the problem for as long as this problematic update is available for installation.

maclmu
Paper Tape
Views: 1,696
Message 4 of 11

Thank you so much for your post!

I had the same issue with an increasing number of M93p Tiny. Top of the list was one system which crashed nearly every five minutes.

I was also already on the diagnostic path. Virus scan, hardware scan, software removal. Thanks to your post i got quicker to some clean system.

It is a mystery to me, why Lenovo includes this software on desktop systems. I am not even sure if they got an accelerometer at all. But in their normal operation they will reside on the desk. Hence, if the software is usefull, the increasing lock ups in time have an explanation. As the users get more and more angry they will hang up their phone harder every time. That would leed yet to another lock up on the motion detection Smiley Happy

A collegue of mine got the same problem. Luckily, that day your post was found so he had only one system.

I wonder when Lenovo will react to this as it may affect so many systems.

maclmu
Paper Tape
Views: 1,685
Message 5 of 11

BEWARE IF YOU HAVE SYSTEM UPDATE ON YOUR SYSTEMS!

As it is set up to install critical updates automatically by default. It will reinstall the active protection system, even if it was not installed on the system. It just happened to me. I will have to disable the automatic installation on all systems until Lenovo fixes the issue.

AdminHell
Paper Tape
Views: 1,680
Message 6 of 11

Just had two more systems (M93ps this time) locking up to on me. Sweet Jesus. The fix however was much faster applied this time.
RC1
Paper Tape
Views: 1,675
Message 7 of 11

Hi maclmu,

Glad that this helped you in some way, yes I also previously disabled the auto install function for Lenovo Update to stop the update from reinstalling itself.

Thanks for adding that to the post to assist others to stop it from reinstalling itself.

Yes I also don't know if any of the systems have a shock sensor / accelerometer, with a desktop I think that this system / technology isn't appropriate in a lot of cases unless you live in an earthquake prone area or have a violent employee who throws stuff at or kicks their desk? Definitely more suited for a notebook.

However being frustrated & slamming down the phone due a Lenovo desktop computer being problematic due to this issue as you mention is a possibility & that's where it may be handy (if the system hadn't already locked up)!

Hi again AdminHell,

Yes sounds like the beginning of an influx of problematic systems auto installing the update.

Anyone have any ideas as to how to simply & quickly wake up the appropriate dozing Lenovo department to acknowledge & attend to this issue?

I can only imagine how many systems this has & will affect worldwide & the amount of downtime, frustration & lost revenue it will create for many people, mostly businesses.

elspence
What's DOS?
Views: 1,546
Message 8 of 11

I hope this solves my issues. I am having simmilar issues on several M93ps. This may be a dumb question, but I was just on one tryng to find where I can uninstall this Active Protection. I saw Lenovo Update and uninstalled that, but could not find Active protection. I finally just uninstalled any Lenovo software I didn't think we necessary. Is there somewhere specific I should look?

Thanks!

maclmu
Paper Tape
Views: 1,542
Message 9 of 11

It should be under programes in the Windows settings. It is called Lenovo Active Protection System or just Active Protection System. If you can't find it, than this might not be your issue.
Former Employee
Views: 1,460
Message 10 of 11

An update to the Lenovo Active Protective System driver was released on 6/7. It is believed the update will resolve the freezing issues reported by customers.

APS version 23 can be downloaded here: http://support.lenovo.com/us/en/products/desktops-and-all-in-ones/thinkcentre-m-series-desktops/thin...

I look forward to reviewing your feedback.

Thank you,

Holiday Deals
HAPPENING NOW!

Get the best deals on PCs and tech now during the Holiday Sale
Shop the sale

Top Kudoed Authors