cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
sobaken
Fanfold Paper
Views: 12,536
Message 1 of 15

Lenovo M710 M910 Tiny: second M.2 slot for SSD, HDD drive height, USB Type C (M710q, M910q, M910x)

USB Type C

There is no option for USB Type C optional connector order customize page for Lenovo M910 Tiny. But that option is mentioned in the PDF spec and on the product page. 

Is it a bug of the customize page, error in spec or temporary unavalilability? I'm in US, if region is important.

Does anyone where able to order M910 Tiny with USB Type C option?

Another question is if LG Ultrafine HKMY2VC/A 24.5" 4K Display will be supported then? It has USB Type C only connector as far as I know. 

Second M.2 Port

There is a second M.2 port / socket (or something that have the size of the M.2 port / socket). What is it for? Why not in spec? Can second NVME M.2 SSD could be installed there? Or is it for Intel Optane or what?

The port is drawn on page 6 of HMM for M910q (https://download.lenovo.com/pccbbs/thinkcentre_pdf/m910q_ug_hmm_en.pdf). There is no description provided there.

Here is the photo from some Finnish(?) retailer:

Also attaching the same pic in case link will be broken in future.

Mod:  edited the Subject line to expand the thread description

sobaken
Fanfold Paper
Views: 12,512
Message 2 of 15

M910 and M910Q

I've noticed that M910 Tiny and M910Q Tiny used kinda interchangebly on the Lenovo web sites.

Say, on PSREF page is titled "ThinkCentre M910 Tiny" and Product column in table is has "ThinkCentre M910q Tiny"

Does that mean the same thing? Is M910 = M910Q ?

sobaken
Fanfold Paper
Views: 12,500
Message 3 of 15

Lenovo M910 Tiny: Max HDD height?

It looks like HDD mount is completely redesigned in M910 Tiny, not similar to M900 at all!

Question: which max HDD z-height new mount supports? 7mm? 9.5mm? 12.5mm? 15mm?

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 12,465
Message 4 of 15

Re: Lenovo M910 Tiny: Max HDD height?

1.   There is no option for USB Type C optional connector order customize page for Lenovo M910 Tiny. But that option is mentioned in the PDF spec and on the product page.   Will a monitor like a LG Ultrafine HKMY2VC/A 24.5" 4K Display be supported then?

M910q supports USB 3.1, however it does not implement the USB-C plug type.    It should work if you have a USB-C to USB-A converter, but I believe you will need some type of software installed in the OS for the video to work, however a definitive answer is not possible without testing.  

2.   There appears to be a second M.2 SSD size slot.  What is it for?  Can second NVME M.2 SSD could be installed there? Or is it for Intel Optane or what?

M910q can have a max of 3 HDDs.  One 2.5" SATA Drive, Two M.2 Drives.  So, yes you can install a second M.2 SSD

Edit:  M710q and M910q have one M.2 storage slot.  M910x has two M.2 slots.  Plus one 2.5" SATA Drive for all models (Edit 2:  except for M910x models with RX460, which uses the 2.5" drive bay for the graphics card heat sink.)

3.   M910 Tiny and M910Q Tiny is used kinda interchangeably on the Lenovo web sites.   Does that mean M910 = M910Q?

Marketing updated the naming conventions.   M910t = M910 Tower ; M910s = M910 Small Form Factor; M910q = M910 Tiny; M910x = M910 Tiny Extreme (stronger 65W processor or discrete graphics)

4.   It looks like HDD mount is completely redesigned.   What is the max HDD z-height the new mount supports?

The drives should be 7mm.  These are the ones that are qualified for Tiny.

I do not work for Lenovo. I do not respond to Private Messages for help, your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where the information exchange may help others. If I helped you, click the 'Kudos' button, if solved, the 'Accept as Solution'.
calc
Token Ring
Views: 12,324
Message 5 of 15

The US page now has the ordering option for USB-C.

Its unfortunate the M910q only supports up to 7mm 2.5" HDD the M900 Tiny could support up to 15mm so you could stick a 5TB drive in it, the largest 7mm is 2TB SMR.

There is also the ThinkStation P320 Tiny which appears to be based on the M910q with a Quadro P600.

Red Hat - SSME
ThinkStation P320 - ThinkCentre m900 Tiny - ThinkPad P50 - ThinkPad Yoga 260
sobaken
Fanfold Paper
Views: 12,309
Message 6 of 15

Calc,

Would like to note, that I'm not totally agree that you can stick 15mm into M900 Tiny. I've bought that 5Tb Seagate and yes, you can squeeze it into M900 Tiny. And even close the cover. But it is pretty tight, cover not only touches HDD but also there was noticeable bump and cover looked uneven.

So to me, M900 Tiny supports 12.5mm max, but apparently nobody producing 12.5mm drives nowadays, so effectively M900 Tiny supports 9.5mm max.

Now 9.5mm is still good, because you can install Samsung m9t 2Tb non-SMR drive.

I agree, the fact that max supported height in M910q is 7mm is not perfect. One of the reasons I decided to stay with M900 for now.

sobaken
Fanfold Paper
Views: 12,308
Message 7 of 15

Thanks for your response!

Hey BiggAl! Thank you for such a detailed response! Two m.2 sockets is the serious business indeed, like it!

Calc, thank you for update related to USB-C!

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 12,200
Message 8 of 15

Re: Thanks for your response!

See this thread for a discussion on the RX 460 graphics option for the M910x Tiny Extreme

I do not work for Lenovo. I do not respond to Private Messages for help, your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where the information exchange may help others. If I helped you, click the 'Kudos' button, if solved, the 'Accept as Solution'.
timboger
What's DOS?
Views: 11,711
Message 9 of 15

OK,

so how come that I have a 910q Tiny here that only has 1 M2 Socket, not 2? Where 2nd should be, there are only soldering tags.

I would like to add at least a regular SSD, however SATA cables and frame (I guess I need one?) didn't come with the Tiny and I don't finde a possibility to order it (no answer from support yet, no catalogue for part numbers etc. even though procedure is included in the german user guide, exchange CRU).

Really dissapointed of Lenovos performance!

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 11,689
Message 10 of 15

so how come that I have a 910q Tiny here that only has 1 M2 Socket, not 2? Where 2nd should be, there are only soldering tags.

I apologize, it seems I was given incorrect information.   M710q and M910q have one M.2 slot.  M910x has two M.2 slots. 

We're moving

To a new platform very soon

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors