Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Fandy
Paper Tape
Views: 7,265
Message 1 of 29

Lenovo SSD Firmware Update Tool for Intel PS - ... install failed

Using Lenovo Vantage:

I was trying to install "Lenovo SSD Firmware Update Tool for Intel PS - 7 [32,64]/8.1/10 [64] - version 03".

The installation was interrupted by the message on the screen:

ERROR

Verification failed: (15) Access Denied

OK {button}

A message about the failure stated as follows:
Firmware update was not processed because software condition is not ready to update to some reason.

The attachment shows the command prompt below the above message.

I tried to renew the installation twice (after rebooting) - the result was the same.

What should I do to correct the situation?

FC-Sys
What's DOS?
Views: 7,177
Message 2 of 29

Re: Lenovo SSD Firmware Update Tool for Intel PS - ... install failed

Can confirm. It worked with a T470 Notebook, but not with a M710t Desktop. Same Windows Version, both Symantec Endpoint Protection (deactivated), same software installations.
Second step was manual upgrade which also failed with FWNV28 (ThinkPad NVMe Solid State Drive Firmware Update Utility).
First it showed the new update, after the failed flash attemp it still shows 123P as firmware and None under new firmware..

PS: the notebook had even Bitlocker activated and it worked, at least the update doesn't show up in Vantage. On Desktop no Bitlocker

RealDrZoidberg
Paper Tape
Views: 7,151
Message 3 of 29

Confirmed on M710t running Windows 10 Home.  Bitlocker is not an issue here.  No 3d party AV installed.  

Post reboot get the error message in Windows like so:

Firmware update was not processed because software condition is not ready to update due to some reason.

Model: INTEL SSDPEKKF256G7L

Serial# : xxxx_xxxx_xxxx_xxxx.

Firmware : 121P

Utility is trying to update me to firmware 127P

Kman3
Paper Tape
Views: 6,991
Message 4 of 29

I had this same problem, receiving the Access Denied message during the restart step.  I have a ThinkCentre M710s.  I think the firmware update process boots into a Linux kernel in order to apply the firmware update.

I was able to get around the problem by entering into the BIOS settings screen and changing the Startup settings:

CSM to Enabled,

Boot Mode to Auto

This allows the machine to boot older legacy OSs.

The next time I tried to apply the SSD firmware update it succeeded.  My Intel SSD now reports firmware version 127P (it was previously 123P).

I hope this helps.

Mariano710s
Paper Tape
Views: 6,967
Message 5 of 29

It worked fine for me.
Just one minor problem: when the computer restarted, it freezed on the Lenovo logo screen. After some minutes waiting I restarted it again manually and then it loaded the linux boot and followed the process without further problems.
Fandy
Paper Tape
Views: 6,955
Message 6 of 29

Thank you Kman3. I did as you advised.
After that, when trying to apply the update, I did not receive any error message. It really looked as the firmware update process booted into a Linux kernel in order to apply the firmware update. However, Lenovo Vantage reported in its “Installation History” the installation as a failure, see the attachment.
When checking the updates anew, only a new BIOS update appeared. I installed it successfully as it can be seen in the attachment. After that, Lenovo Vantage did not suggest any new updates, especially for SSD.
I used also the “Retry install” button in the “Installation History”. “Lenovo System Update” did not do any other than showed a message:
“X 1 update failed to download and install.”

Therefore, it looks like the “Lenovo SSD Firmware Update Tool for Intel PS - ...” succeeded anyhow.
How could I check the current firmware version?

A side effect after changing the BIOS settings was that during the startup a message appeared on the screen:
Invalid system disk
Replace the disk, and then press any key

I responded only by hitting the “Enter” key. After that the starting process continued without problems.

However, I restored then the original BIOS settings. After that the computed started without any interruption.

My computer is also ThinkCentre M710s.

Mariano710s
Paper Tape
Views: 6,951
Message 7 of 29

I have the same issue, but the firmware is actually updated to 127p

I checked it with

Click Start > All Programs > Intel® Solid State Drive Toolbox

I do not know why it says that the update is not correct. I suspect that it tried to update the firmware for the other hdd, which is not an ssd, but I am not quite confident in my own explanation.

Fandy
Paper Tape
Views: 6,945
Message 8 of 29

I found in my Win10 Start Menu only the application Intel > Intel Rapid Storage Technology. It is not reporting any problems. There on its sheet “Manage Disk” for “PCIe SSD” is the line:
“Firmware: 127P”

So, the matter seems to be ok. Thank you Mariano710s!

I have only SSD in my computer
Mariano710s
Paper Tape
Views: 6,940
Message 9 of 29

"I have only SSD in my computer" implies my explanation seems wrong.
deano777
Paper Tape
Views: 6,889
Message 10 of 29

Hi, 

I changed the settings in the BIOS as described above

"CSM to Enabled,

Boot Mode to Auto

Legacy mode first"

The update now reboots and starts a linux instance appears to complete succesfully. 

On reboot however the update hasn't been applied. Bitlocker is suspended and AV is disabled. Win 10 pro. 

Any suggestions ? 

Thanks

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors