cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Grady_Health
Paper Tape
Views: 120
Message 1 of 3

Lenovo Security Advisory: LEN-18282 Break Logo switch(s) for older UEFI/Bios Upgrades. (error 74)

We have a fleet of Lenovo computers and would like to synchronize and brand the boot Logo for our enterprise.

The problem is that we have experienced an issue with several older models while using the /logo switch. It seems that the newer UEFI/Bios upgrade provided with LEN-18282 produces an error while using the /logo switch. I was able to contact one of my local Lenovo technical references and received a very political answer, so I’m turning towards the community for assistance. (This error also breaks the entire upgrade process)

There appears to be a solution, but not an enterprise one.

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkCentre-A-E-M-S-Series/Thinkcentre-M82-Custom-Bios-Splash-Screen/m-...

Reference: odelay171: Post ‎03-04-2019 03:17 PM.

Odelay171 is basically re-writing the raw bios image file that is provided by Lenovo and then updating a hash version while providing a disclaimer: "not be for the feint of heart.".

We have adjusted the image file size and format without any changes (BMP & JPG Formats)

Does anyone have an enterprise solution?

Here are the Bios versions we are currently going to.

9NJY76USA

9SJY9CUSA

FBJYD6USA

FEJYA0USA

FWJY9EUSA

M1AJY40USA

Lenovo Employee rbkirk
Lenovo Employee
Views: 58
Message 2 of 3

Re: Lenovo Security Advisory: LEN-18282 Break Logo switch(s) for older UEFI/Bios Upgrades. (error 74

The update procedure for each system may be documented in the README.1st file for each family of system...extract the BIOS update from the package file, and look for README.1ST wherever you extracted the BIOS update to...and may be individual to that system. I do not think there is a single procedure for all families of both Thinkpad and ThinkCentre.

Each logo file should be 60KB or less.

For thinkpads, Image width and height should be less than or equal to 40% of the built in LCD panel resolution. Example, if the LCD Panel res is 1920x1080, Image width and height should be 768x432 or less.

Highlighted
Grady_Health
Paper Tape
Views: 45
Message 3 of 3

Re: Lenovo Security Advisory: LEN-18282 Break Logo switch(s) for older UEFI/Bios Upgrades. (error 74

The logo images are tiny and previously worked on older versions of the same bios. We are using BMP format and our largest one is 57 KB. This is 250x77 pixels for the 9SJY9CUSA bios.

We have tried several different images both in smaller sizes and different formats with the same results. I have seen a few other end users on the forum with the same issue, and the only solution was an edited Image Dump re-applied to the same machine (reference initial post).

Each Bios/Model is individually researched and configured. The "Install command line" is possibly different for each one, but the ones that I have tried all have a broken logo switch.

Would you think that Lenovo's QA  (Quality Assurance) department should investigate this? 

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors